PDA

View Full Version : Tattoos in the IT world?

Diabolis
August 24th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Which are the views about people with tattoos in the IT world?

Times have changed and tattoos are very popular now. What do you think about this? Would you hire someone with a tattoo?

A good presentation will always be required in a company, so for this questions assume that the tattoo is not visible. i.e. its in the back, shoulders, legs etc.

mellowd
August 24th, 2008, 06:55 PM
It makes no difference. There are a few tats here in the IT dept

pp.
August 24th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Would you hire someone with a tattoo?

(...) assume that the tattoo is not visible. i.e. its in the back, shoulders, legs etc.

Since I am not in the habit of undressing applicants, I see no way I can detect whether they have any tattoos.

Diabolis
August 24th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Yeah is not usual to be asked to undress before getting hired, however human resources people do ask if you have tattoos. I know that if its not visible you can easily lie, but I don't consider that the right thing to do. So, what if you ask "do you have any tattoos?" and the answer is "yeah, a couple of them in my back and chest"?

fatality_uk
August 24th, 2008, 08:29 PM
however human resources people do ask if you have tattoos
They can, but the applicant can also refuse to answer without predjudice. People can have tattoos for many reasons. I might have a blood group, serial number on left upper arm and right thigh. They would be hard to see and nothing to do with my job.

Mr. Picklesworth
August 24th, 2008, 08:31 PM
I would if the guy seemed a good person, intelligent and competent.

However, if he had a giant rash under said tattoo and it was obvious he would soon be off on a disruptive 6-month leave as he recovers from the skin cancer, then the connected kidney and liver cancer, it is unlikely that I would hire the guy with the tattoo.

Lucky for the guy with the tattoo, I probably would be unaware of it entirely, which is to everyone's benefit.
Also to everyone's benefit, I do not hire people.

Swarms
August 24th, 2008, 09:17 PM
If he is skilled at his work, and had no physical contact with customers. For my sake, he could look like my avatar.

And that would only be because normal people might get a bit frightened if a clown greeted them in an expensive suit.

J.T.
August 24th, 2008, 09:37 PM
I have a tattoo on my left shoulder.

http://home.comcast.net/~universist/tat.jpg

Kingsley
August 24th, 2008, 09:40 PM
I have a tattoo on my left shoulder.

http://home.comcast.net/%7Euniversist/tat.jpg
What is that supposed to be? :confused:

pp.
August 24th, 2008, 09:44 PM
human resources people do ask if you have tattoos.

I can't think of any reason why HR people should ask applicants such pointless questions. They'd just as soon ask whether they have any poodles.

Pogeymanz
August 24th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Only if the person was going to be dealing with customers would I even consider a tattoo worthy of concern. And if I couldn't see it, then I wouldn't even ask.

If I were asked if I had a tattoo, (and assuming I did have one, which I don't) I would lie right to the person's face. Two wrongs don't make a right, but I wouldn't want to be discriminated against for something that makes no difference to how I work.

wolfen69
August 24th, 2008, 10:12 PM
how about a Windows Vista Tattoo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bEvKUvQ8Js) ? :shock:

hopkinsjeni
August 24th, 2008, 11:15 PM
If an applicant had a "Wild Hogs" style apple mac tattoo on their arm, I don't think I'd hire them.
Piercings are far worse! I don't think someone with a nose ring or one of those huge earrings that stretch your ear would be the best person for customer service work.
Then again seen as most of us are the other side of remote assistance, who cares?