PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Deleted partition

AngryNapkin
August 24th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I inadvertently deleted an NTFS windows partition from ubuntu. I haven't created a new partition over that space, it still says unallocated space. Is there any way I can get those files back?

Elfy
August 24th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Not usre if this will help much, but you might be able to get at them with photorec or testdisk, both are avilable through the repos.

The most important thing to do at the moment is stop using the harddrive at all - reboot with the livecd.

You can access the net and also download testdisk from there to try and recover.

AngryNapkin
August 24th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Thanks, Do I need to create a partition over it though? Will testdisk see aynthing there except unallocated space?

Catalyst2Death
August 24th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Usually when you delete a partition, you delete the entry from the partition table, making it possible for a formatting program to write a new entry to the partition table and begin to write data to that area of the disc. If all you did was delete the partition, then all you did was remove the partition table. All of you data should still be there. This way if you run a program that can read the disc and regenerate the partition table from it, then you should in theory restore your partition. This is my understanding of how these processes work, if I'm incorrect someone please correct me.

Edit: To answer your question: Do *NOT* create a partition over the old one, it will erase all of you data.

Elfy
August 24th, 2008, 05:39 PM
To answer your question: Do *NOT* create a partition over the old one, it will erase all of you data.
+1

I'm sure that is the case - and testdisk says it can

Fix partition table, recover deleted partition

Boot the livecd - search the forums for recover partition table or something similar, use uboontu.com

You should be able to install it with

sudo apt-get install testdisk if it doesn't install it's only the repos need sorting.

melrokz
August 24th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Use Acronis Disk director 10 boot cd for a proper GUI program for restoring NTFS and FAT partitions that have been deleted by mistake. You have to do this as soon as possible.