PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Triple boot XP/Vista/Ubuntu?

brons2
August 24th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Hello all,

I upgraded my system from an Opteron 165 to an Intel E2200 (overclocked), also picked up an ATI Radeon HD4850 and a new 500GB SATA hard drive as my new motherboard only has 1 PATA port so I had to choose between new optical drives or a new hard drive.

With my new spacious hard drive I have already dual booted XP and Vista, everything's going great. But I have some more space left for yet another partition and I was wondering if Ubuntu would work with an already dual-booted machine.

I do have my laptop dual booted between Vista and Ubuntu and it works fine with Grub, but I was wondering how this would work with grub added to the Windows process on my new desktop build. If I chose Windows in grub, would it then give me a 2nd boot screen to choose my version of Windows?

brons2
August 24th, 2008, 10:09 PM
nobody? bueller??

nickgaydos
August 24th, 2008, 10:11 PM
I would think so! I've seen many people do it on like YouTube and stuff...try it out :-)

nickgaydos
August 24th, 2008, 10:11 PM
nobody? bueller??
lol Funny movie :-)

bodhi.zazen
August 24th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Hello all,

I upgraded my system from an Opteron 165 to an Intel E2200 (overclocked), also picked up an ATI Radeon HD4850 and a new 500GB SATA hard drive as my new motherboard only has 1 PATA port so I had to choose between new optical drives or a new hard drive.

With my new spacious hard drive I have already dual booted XP and Vista, everything's going great. But I have some more space left for yet another partition and I was wondering if Ubuntu would work with an already dual-booted machine.

I do have my laptop dual booted between Vista and Ubuntu and it works fine with Grub, but I was wondering how this would work with grub added to the Windows process on my new desktop build. If I chose Windows in grub, would it then give me a 2nd boot screen to choose my version of Windows?

You directly boot windows from grub.

If you have multiple versions of windows, you need to "hide" them form each other :lolflag:

http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p15.htm#Grub_and_MultiWindows_

zamadatix
August 24th, 2008, 10:32 PM
if you get the iwndows to not interfere you can pretty much put anything else as long as you dont mess with the partitions to much. i have ubuntu puppy linux fedora 10 windows xp and windows vista on this comp. (i dunno what thats called lol)

Joeb454
August 24th, 2008, 10:41 PM
I triple boot that same system :)

Basically - Install XP, then install Vista - This way, Vista will recognise that XP is there, and add it as an option to the Vista bootloader.

Then, Install Ubuntu on the next partition, GRUB should then detect that Windows Vista is there, and will add an option to the bottom of the menu.lst.

This bottom option will then allow you to boot Vista's bootloader, which then allows you to choose which version of Windows to boot :)

Got that? ;)

brons2
August 24th, 2008, 11:47 PM
I triple boot that same system :)

Basically - Install XP, then install Vista - This way, Vista will recognise that XP is there, and add it as an option to the Vista bootloader.

Then, Install Ubuntu on the next partition, GRUB should then detect that Windows Vista is there, and will add an option to the bottom of the menu.lst.

This bottom option will then allow you to boot Vista's bootloader, which then allows you to choose which version of Windows to boot :)

Got that? ;)

Thank you, that mirrors my expectations, but I wanted someone to confirm it before I went forward. I've already got some time invested in getting this setup going, so I didn't want to needlessly trash it.

Joeb454
August 24th, 2008, 11:54 PM
As long as you have free (i.e. unpartitioned/formatted) space available, it should be easy :)

I set it up, updated Windows etc. and now I hardly ever boot into them :p

brons2
August 25th, 2008, 12:24 AM
I'm about 50/50 on my laptop between Ubuntu 8.04 and Vista Home Premium. I could probably skew it a bit more toward Ubuntu if I had the Cisco VPN client for Linux, but I don't have a SmartNet login so I can't just download it. Client works fine in Vista anyways and this laptop only takes a matter of seconds to reboot, so NBD.

exowraith
August 26th, 2008, 11:10 AM
dont really need unpartitioned space. ask long as you got more than some gigs free you can just resize your partition to install ubuntu.

i managed to triple boot my desktop XP Vista and Ubuntu. was running XP and Vista for a while and just recently installed Ubuntu.

My laptop also managed to resize partitions to install Ubuntu. double boot Vista and Ubuntu

bdk09
September 16th, 2008, 05:05 AM
Sorry to "jack" this thread or bump it though I do need some help.

I'm trying to triple boot as well, though with 2 HDDs. 1 HDD has xp and vista, so I want to install ubuntu on a whole separate drive.

How would I triple boot a setup like this?

FOBioPatel
September 20th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Sorry to "jack" this thread or bump it though I do need some help.

I'm trying to triple boot as well, though with 2 HDDs. 1 HDD has xp and vista, so I want to install ubuntu on a whole separate drive.

How would I triple boot a setup like this?

I suspect when you install Ubuntu you will see the existing Vista/XP installation you already have, and you have the choice of installing (and resizing the disk) named HDDA which has this Microsoft OSes data, or to HDDB which is your clean empty drive.

Grub is the Ubuntu bootloader, and you should only see the Vista or Ubuntu option when you fire up your PC. When you select Vista, you will be again prompted, Vista or XP.

I hope I am correct; I'm about to do something similar. All on 1 drive.

And just for Google's sake here are keywords I wish this thread was optimized for: ubuntu 8.04 xp vista triple boot 64 bit