PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Running Live CD from floppy

boron
August 24th, 2008, 03:06 PM
My friend wants to try Ubuntu and has ordered a Live cd but has a problem:his bios will not let him boot frim cdrom. I believe it is possible to boot the CD by using a floppy. Can anyone please describe how to do this?
He doesn't want to install Linux,ye, but only to run the live cd.I believe his system has a P4 processor and 128MB of RAM and runs Win2k. Thanks for help.

Malta paul
August 24th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Their is a program called 'Smart Boot Manager' that might help:

http://linux.simple.be/tools/sbm

http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/download.html

Hope this is of some help:)

oilchangeguy
August 24th, 2008, 03:41 PM
My friend wants to try Ubuntu and has ordered a Live cd but has a problem:his bios will not let him boot frim cdrom. I believe it is possible to boot the CD by using a floppy. Can anyone please describe how to do this?
He doesn't want to install Linux,ye, but only to run the live cd.I believe his system has a P4 processor and 128MB of RAM and runs Win2k. Thanks for help.

your friends computer will not be able to run the live cd. see these requirements from the ubuntu web site.

System Requirements
Ubuntu is available for PC, 64-Bit PC and Intel based Mac architectures. At least 256 MB of RAM is required to run the alternate install CD (384MB of RAM is required to use the live CD based installer). Install requires at least 4 GB of disk space.

boron
August 24th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Thanks a lot, it looks ideal.

boron
August 24th, 2008, 10:17 PM
your friends computer will not be able to run the live cd. see these requirements from the ubuntu web site.

System Requirements
Ubuntu is available for PC, 64-Bit PC and Intel based Mac architectures. At least 256 MB of RAM is required to run the alternate install CD (384MB of RAM is required to use the live CD based installer). Install requires at least 4 GB of disk space.
Thanks for the Warning. He'd tried getting Ubuntu on to his system with Wubi but found it would not boot into Ubuntu once Wubi had done its stuff, so he is upgrading RAMto 256 MB+ Boron.