PDA

View Full Version : Futurelooks 3 Preview Video - make Linux beautiful!

Mazza558
August 24th, 2008, 01:39 PM
(Since FL3 now includes more than just the visual style, this shouldn't be moved to Desktop Effects/Customization if possible)

Well, I've been slowly improving Futurelooks, and I've made a quick video to explain some of the new stuff that's been added. It's no longer just about how Linux looks, it's about how fast you can get stuff done, and in style. In the video below, I show the new menu, how blur effects CAN look quite good, and explain some of the other things I'll be doing. It'll be out later this year and will have an install script to make things even easier.

https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/29948/fl3thumbnail.JPG

Have a look at the video below...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_My6KSskPTU

Apologies for the video quality.

Hire
August 24th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Very interesting but... I don't understand where is the improvement, I only see Compiz, Gnome-Do, Aurora Engine and a menu Vista-like.

So, what is this "Futurelooks"? A simple pack?

ryantriplett
August 24th, 2008, 02:45 PM
I love Futurelooks 2. If I could ever get emerald themes to work correctly without causing my window borders to disappear I would love it even more.

I wish you would release this new gnome menu. The one in Futurelooks 2 is nice, but this is far superior... I love the built-in terminal!

Mazza558
August 24th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Very interesting but... I don't understand where is the improvement, I only see Compiz, Gnome-Do, Aurora Engine and a menu Vista-like.

So, what is this "Futurelooks"? A simple pack?

It's all packaged in one place and fits together. The overall theme is greater than its individual parts. Have a look at my signature.

Hire
August 24th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Ah ok thanks :)

Nitrolinken
August 24th, 2008, 03:24 PM
What plugin is it that provides that way of rotating around your workspaces?

Mazza558
August 24th, 2008, 03:31 PM
What plugin is it that provides that way of rotating around your workspaces?

Desktop Cube, and in this case, I'm using an extra plugin as well.

hessiess
August 24th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Futurelooks 3 Preview Video - how to make linux ugly, slow and distracting.

Mazza558
August 24th, 2008, 03:59 PM

Each to their own. I don't understand how you can possibly think this is ugly. Give me your definition of beautiful (with a screenshot).

hessiess
August 24th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Each to their own. I don't understand how you can possibly think this is ugly. Give me your definition of beautiful (with a screenshot).

http://uploader.polorix.net//files/908/images/window_manager_screenshot.jpg

doesn't waste space
no useless animations, everything happens instantaneously
less resources wasted on useless effects == more resources for worthwhile things, like blending.

Devport
August 24th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Looks great !

- When will Futurelooks 3 be released ?
- Please include the important info like homepage in the first post for users like me who disabled signatures ( some trolls write stuff so dumb that I dont want to see it ... )

Apropos trolls,

:lolflag:

Thanks for letting us know your opinion - I bet 0.5 out of 100 visitors will care. Please go and write your own theme instead of discouraging those who actually do it - and do it good.

xArv3nx
August 24th, 2008, 11:43 PM

doesn't waste space
less resources wasted on useless effects == more resources for worthwhile things, like blending.
Holy HELL that's UGLY! :lolflag:

Mazza558
August 24th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Looks great !

- When will Futurelooks 3 be released ?
- Please include the important info like homepage in the first post for users like me who disabled signatures ( some trolls write stuff so dumb that I dont want to see it ... )

1. FL3 will be out later this year, but I'm putting no definite date out at the moment. My guess is that it'll be within 2 months. I still have a lot to do and what is shown in the video is a very small part of what I want to do.

2. I'll add a homepage nearer to the release.

doesn't waste space

Grey does not work in this context, especially as a background color. Tiling window managers become useless when truly multitasking (which using more than 5 apps) - even with separate workspaces, there is no way to visualize where your apps are, leading to confusion and probably eye strain. Sometimes, compiz effects are a good way to disguise poor quality video drivers, which some people have to cope with (ATI/Nvidia), such as window tearing and laggy 2D rendering. Most computers nowadays have the graphics power to cope with compiz and normal tasks, and hardly anyone uses Blender on a day-to-day basis. This is, after all, improving the desktop experience, not server/workstation.

hessiess
August 25th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Grey does not work in this context, especially as a background color.
Its a hell of a lot easier to reed than a white background! white: boringist colour in the world ;)

there is no way to visualize where your apps are, leading to confusion and probably eye strain.

yes there is, everything is aranged in a grid, insted of thrown all over the place.

Mazza558
August 25th, 2008, 12:09 AM
Its a hell of a lot easier to reed than a white background! white: boringist colour in the world ;)

The bright blue colors in Firefox almost burn my eyes ;)

Although it might just be jpeg compression.

yes there is, everything is aranged in a grid, insted of thrown all over the place.

That's what Compiz's scale plugin is for. It seems strange to have windows in this formation constantly.

Dharmachakra
August 25th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Very nice! I don't usually use that much flash but maybe I'll change it up a bit to kick off the new school year. I'm sure many more will appreciate the work and especially the simplification.

s3kt0r
August 25th, 2008, 01:36 AM
Looks nice, however will people who already have some of the package components installed have to uninstall them first, or there's no such trouble? For example, i already use compiz.
First time ever heard of Futurelooks. I like having an desktop with colour, why not?
Will check this post from time to time, nice work man, keep going.

cardinals_fan
August 25th, 2008, 01:58 AM
Doesn't do it for me, but whatever floats your boat.

Mazza558
August 25th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Very nice! I don't usually use that much flash but maybe I'll change it up a bit to kick off the new school year. I'm sure many more will appreciate the work and especially the simplification.

Remember that what I showed here is the most "flashy" compiz setting that will come with Futurelooks. The others will be much tamer and unnoticeable.

Looks nice, however will people who already have some of the package components installed have to uninstall them first, or there's no such trouble? For example, i already use compiz.
First time ever heard of Futurelooks. I like having an desktop with colour, why not?
Will check this post from time to time, nice work man, keep going.

The script will attempt to install a deb file with the icon set and aurora theme (so that it works automatically with root applications too - the icons will go to /usr/share/icons), as well as copying all the theme files into the right places in your home directory (so fonts, emerald themes, ubuntu system panel, gtk theme etc) It'll also use the required packages (emerald/compiz etc) as dependencies, so will pull in all the apps you need to run Futurelooks. Of course, I'll provide an uninstall script to remove everything at the end if you don't want it any more. Also, I'll provide scripts for people who just want the basic look and nothing else - so only the absolute minimum needed.

The script WON'T change your theme to Futurelooks straight away, you'll have to change the themes etc yourself (with a small guide provided). If Futurelooks DID change all your theme settings automatically, I'd feel guilty for following the same tactics as spyware/malware makers.

So, to summarise, the script will install everything needed app-wise, copy over the other theme files (after deleting the previous versions), and then it's up to you to apply the various bits. The script will do the boring bits, where you're just copying files around.

Chessmaster
August 25th, 2008, 11:32 AM

doesn't waste space

No offence dude, that may be practical, but it ain't pretty.

usju
August 25th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Lol, it's a matter of preference. Most people first try Ubuntu just to check out the cool graphics. After using for a while they attend the stability, 'free' ness:popcorn: and other plus points...

armageddon08
August 29th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Lol, it's a matter of preference. Most people first try Ubuntu just to check out the cool graphics. After using for a while they attend the stability, 'free' ness:popcorn: and other plus points...

Yup......I completely agree with you as that was the case with me too!!
I saw Ubuntu vids on youtube and got attracted!!

armageddon08
August 29th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Hey Mazza! Could you give me a link to your Futurelooks2 theme. The default googlecode page link stops midway at around 6-7 MBs. So the download's corrupted!!

Mazza558
August 29th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Hey Mazza! Could you give me a link to your Futurelooks2 theme. The default googlecode page link stops midway at around 6-7 MBs. So the download's corrupted!!

I'll upload it again ASAP. I didn't realize the download wasn't working any more, thanks for notifying me.

armageddon08
August 29th, 2008, 01:02 PM
I'll upload it again ASAP. I didn't realize the download wasn't working any more, thanks for notifying me.

Thanks....it's working now. BTW, how do I get the AuroraMidnight theme. I installed the deb, but I don't get any options regarding either AuroraLooks or AuroraMidnight.

Also, I'm anxiously waiting for your FL3 theme pack. Hope its out soon. And all the best.

Mazza558
August 29th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Thanks....it's working now. BTW, how do I get the AuroraMidnight theme. I installed the deb, but I don't get any options regarding either AuroraLooks or AuroraMidnight.

Also, I'm anxiously waiting for your FL3 theme pack. Hope its out soon. And all the best.

Is it the GTK theme that's not working, or the emerald?

armageddon08
August 29th, 2008, 02:02 PM
The gtk theme....

Mazza558
August 29th, 2008, 02:11 PM
The gtk theme....

Enjoy.

armageddon08
August 29th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Thanks...

gletob
August 29th, 2008, 02:52 PM

doesn't waste space

Sorry but that almost makes me barf

armageddon08
August 30th, 2008, 05:58 AM
Hey Mazza, its me again. I just wanted to ask if there is any Metacity theme alternative to your FutureLooks emerald theme?

swoll1980
August 30th, 2008, 06:05 AM
holy hell that's ugly! :lolflag:

+1

Mazza558
August 30th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Hey Mazza, its me again. I just wanted to ask if there is any Metacity theme alternative to your FutureLooks emerald theme?

There might be something similar to it floating around on gnome-look.

MadsRH
August 30th, 2008, 02:53 PM

I don't want to comment on if I this this is beautiful or ugly. But I have to say that Hessiess's comment (quote below) was everything but constructive! I would hope that Hessiess in the future would express his dislikes with other word, that in a constructive way will describe what he doesn't like.

Yes
August 30th, 2008, 03:33 PM
I don't want to comment on if I this this is beautiful or ugly. But I have to say that Hessiess's comment (quote below) was everything but constructive! I would hope that Hessiess in the future would express his dislikes with other word, that in a constructive way will describe what he doesn't like.

His comment was no less constructive than all the comments that derided his desktop. And as beautiful as you all may think FL3 is, I'm sure it's much slower that Hessiess's desktop.

mazz72
August 30th, 2008, 04:01 PM
His comment was no less constructive than all the comments that derided his desktop. And as beautiful as you all may think FL3 is, I'm sure it's much slower that Hessiess's desktop.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I've lost track of what this thread's about....FL3 or how ugly the other desktop is. Truth is, no....his comment wasn't necessary, but neither are all the other comments. How ugly that desktop is has nothing to do with whether or not you like FL3 or want to use it.

Mazza558
August 30th, 2008, 05:32 PM
How ugly that desktop is has nothing to do with whether or not you like FL3 or want to use it.

Exactly. Can we keep the thread focused on its intended purpose please?

For the record, the screenshot posted isn't to my taste at all, but I respect other people's opinions and so I'm not going to call it ugly or anything. Of course it's going to be faster, but that's because it's minimalist. As long as you're not planning on rendering 3D scenes in blender, FL3 will run fine on your PC.

SomeGuyDude
August 30th, 2008, 05:34 PM
That's a pretty good theme, but I don't see why it's a big ol' pack or whatever.