PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Transfering settings

sprogmeister
August 24th, 2008, 01:27 PM
I have just put a 500Gb hdd into my machine and have my old Ubuntu hdd as an external usb hdd. I had tried using back up software but none would work. Is there anyway I can import the settings on my (now) external hdd onto the new hdd, so I can use my old settings?

scragar
August 24th, 2008, 01:31 PM
all of your settings should be stored in your home folder, as long as you move them over it should all be fine(you may need to run:
sudo chown -R $USER ~/ after moving the files over to reset ownership).

sprogmeister
August 24th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Thanks Scragar, have done as you said. My home folder seems the same but the desktop is not, nor are the applications I used run. Is there anything I can do about this?

scragar
August 24th, 2008, 05:22 PM
I thought your problem was just settings(and what about your desktop is different? It's in the home folder, so unless you've installed a theme using emerald or something similar it should be the same).

dpkg --get-selections > pkg.list
will make a list of all aplications you have installed, when that's a complete(should take a couple of seconds max) use
sudo apt-get update
sudo dpkg --set-selections < pkg.list
sudo apt-get -u dselect-upgrade
to install them on the new HD. I think that's almost everything...

sprogmeister
August 24th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Thanks for that I will try it now.

sprogmeister
August 24th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Tried it but it sadly seemed to do nothing at all. Excusing my lack of experience, have you got any other ideas?

scragar
August 24th, 2008, 07:51 PM
just a quick q, you did move the file right? (it would be called pkg.list and most likely in your home directory(unless you use cd to change that)) That's the list of programs, you will need to move it from the first HD to the second(again, to your home directory. I should have explained this better back when actualy )

an output of any errors would be nice as well.

sprogmeister
August 24th, 2008, 09:10 PM
I can't find pkg.list at all ????

sprogmeister
August 24th, 2008, 09:16 PM
The log on screen also gives warnings of 644 permissions and that I need to own the $Home. I understand that this means I need to take ownership but do not understand how to. Please help?

scragar
August 24th, 2008, 09:34 PM
open a terminal, then run

sudo chown -R $USER ./

sprogmeister
August 24th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Tried it and got the reply:

chown: cannot access `./.gvfs': Permission denied

Any ideas?