PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Recovering lost files

dinostabOMG
August 24th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Recently I tried to upgrade from Gutsy to Hardy. I knew that upgrading isn't as safe as a new install, so I backed up first. Sure enough, the upgrade failed and I had to install from scratch.

Unfortunately, my backup didn't work properly. It output an archive, which I wanted, but later file-roller couldn't read it. Crap!

So, there is one .odt I would like to get back in particular. I heard you can use the grep command to get lost files back?

I have an ext3 file system, installed over the same partition as the botched upgrade. Based on some advice I found while searching on how to recover files, I came up with this command:

sudo grep -i -a -B10 -A10 'upcoming project ideas:'

The advice I found followed that with > file.txt - but I don't have a particular file, I am hoping it can find the text floating around on the partition somewhere. Or hm, it just occurred to me that maybe that takes the output and puts it in a new file?

I also realize that this is not a plain text file, it's an .odt file. Still, I think the text should be in there relatively unmolested, right?

In any case, is this likely to work? Thanks.

talsemgeest
August 24th, 2008, 07:56 AM
I had the same problem a few months ago. I backed up to a tar.gz, but when it was time to uncompress, none of the archive programs would uncompress it because it was that little bit corrupted. I lost everything...

aysiu
August 24th, 2008, 08:07 AM
That grep command might work - I don't know.

I do know that if you boot a live CD, install the testdisk package and then run Photorec, you'll probably be able to recover the .odt file and just about everything else:
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list Remove the # signs from the web address lines with the word universe in them. Save (Control-X, Y, Enter).
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install testdisk
sudo photorec

dinostabOMG
August 24th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the recommendation, I discovered photorec researching this problem too! Now I have tons of files to wade through, but looks like this will do.

talsemgeest
August 24th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Good luck, I hope you get your stuff back!