PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sound issues

amyg
August 24th, 2008, 05:51 AM
Okay, I've been using ubuntu for a few months now. The main issues I've ever had were to do with microphones (and learning how to update my nvidia driver, but once that was learned it's cake).

My first headset was 'normal' plug one. Just could never get my microphone to work with ventrilo. There were worse things so it was no big issue.

My daughter screwed that headset up(somehow spliced the wires in half). I borrowed my husbands (as I do arena in World of Warcraft I need something), however his headset is usb, so it was a different story apparently.

So yesterday evening I had the house mostly to myself and had everything working except anything in firefox (say like youtube or flash).

Don't ask what I did, I just went through random forum posts like these two :
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-509598.html
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=32063

Anyway, this morning I woke up, logged in and the only sound working was with skype. I asked my friend who got me into linux, and he got onto my computer and did goodness knows what, and we had everything working at one point except firefox again. He had me install libflashsupport , which for some reason instantly disabled my sound in WoW.

Anyway, again I restarted after and went about my day. Now no sound is on again. Including no sound from speakers, which at this point I'd be happy to get sound from there and worry about the headset later.

I know I'm using the pulse sound, I have ubuntu 8.04 and if anyone has any suggestions ..explained very simply I would be delighted. I apologize in advance for the fact that all of this is still very new to me, I really enjoy using ubuntu instead of window's but sometimes the most simple things are stupidly hard for me.

Thank you to anyone that replies with suggestions.

amyg
August 24th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Okay, well to get it through my speakers was simple enough. I suppose I should have tried that before making my post.

Nonetheless, the quest to find a way to get the usb headset to work (along with my speakers continues).

As for now I will mark this as solved so as not to waste anyone's time though.