PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Compaq Evo N600c takes 3 minutes to boot up ubuntu 7.10

sandman887
August 24th, 2008, 05:29 AM
Anybody know why?

It's a Pentium III 1.06 Ghz
512 MB RAM

After it boots, though, it runs great, no problems. But it just takes 3 minutes to boot, and during this time, the screen is entirely black. I had xubuntu 7.10 installed in it before, and it never did that, and in fact, loaded quite fast with 128 MB of RAM before I upgraded to 512 and installed ubuntu.

It's not a life or death matter, I just would like to know why.

If anybody has any ideas, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

prshah
August 24th, 2008, 07:35 AM
After it boots, though, it runs great, no problems. But it just takes 3 minutes to boot, and during this time, the screen is entirely black.

While ubuntu is booting up (black screen) press ctrl+alt+f8; the screen will be initially blank, but will start filling up with information soon; can you notice if there is any particular statement where a pause occurs (over 8~10 seconds will constitute a pause)? If you find such a statement, post back for details and/or more troubleshooting.

You can also install bootchart, Open a terminal (Applications-Accessories-Terminal) and give the command
sudo apt-get install bootchart This will produce graphical (png) logs of how much time each process during bootup is taking; the logs are saved as image files (png) in /var/log/bootchart.

Viewing/Posting a recent bootchart may give you/us a clue as to where the holdup is.

3 minutes is too long on these specs.

libra1780
August 24th, 2008, 10:40 AM
got this too once on a laptop. if i left it there, it lacked around for minutes, but if i pressed CTRL+ALT+F1 ath the beginning of boot process, it took seconds to boot.
in my case it was a video card driver issue..
i fixed it setting up framebuffer driver for the console.
once installed, the bootup screen worked as well

seems like you have the same prob.:lolflag:

sandman887
August 25th, 2008, 11:28 PM
I tried what you suggested with ctrl-alt-f8, but that did nothing. So I installed bootchart, and then restarted, and that got the chart of my bootup.

Here is the pic of it:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m19/brave_man/aroundhome/laptop/gutsy-20080825-1.png

libra1780, that worked, and my laptop booted up at almost normal speed, but do I have to push ctrl-alt-f1 every time I restart, or just once?

sandman887
August 28th, 2008, 09:55 PM
So what clues does this give you?

Here is a link to the screenshot:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m19/brave_man/aroundhome/laptop/gutsy-20080825-1.png

Thanks.

prshah
August 29th, 2008, 05:16 AM
libra1780, that worked, and my laptop booted up at almost normal speed, but do I have to push ctrl-alt-f1 every time I restart, or just once?

You can turn off the splash screen permanently; Press Alt+F2, then give the command
gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst Look for the line that corresponds to what you normally select during bootup; typically

title Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-19-generic, and following this, you will find a line starting with "kernel"; scroll to the end of the line, and remove the word(s) "quiet splash". Save, exit, and run the terminal command
sudo update-grub Now you should have the text screen from the next bootup onwards.

So what clues does this give you?

Here is a link to the screenshot:

Unfortunately the screenshot is unreadable; you should post the bootchart created png file instead.