PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Smoothest ubuntu video player ?

eru777
August 24th, 2008, 04:13 AM
What is the smoothest, most solid video player on ubuntu linux, in your estimation ? (less buggy, less vulnerable)

cariboo
August 24th, 2008, 04:26 AM
The only one I had any problems with is kaffeine it would drop a frme once in a while, all the other media players work the way they should.

Jim

eru777
August 24th, 2008, 04:47 AM
The only one I had any problems with is kaffeine it would drop a frme once in a while, all the other media players work the way they should.

Jim

Would you mind naming the ones you know of? Maybe a slight info about your experience with them, as small summary? I'm a noob at ubuntu :)
Thank you for replying .

etnlIcarus
August 24th, 2008, 05:25 AM
VLC Player is my rock. It's solid, whether you're running it on *nix, OSX or Windows. Far better than the default included movie player (totem gstreamer), which tends to be pretty picky.

If you're specifically having trouble with WMVs, while there's no sure-fire fix, I have found that MPlayer handles them slightly better (though you'll have to accept that some WMVs are going to be unplayable).

WindPower
August 24th, 2008, 05:30 AM
VLC media player. Plays anything, smooth, and there's no learning curve if you've already used it on Windows or Mac or whatever.