PDA

View Full Version : How many female Ubuntu/Linux users?

Slug71
August 24th, 2008, 03:02 AM
Interested to know how many females have decided to give Ubuntu/Linux a go?

damis648
August 24th, 2008, 03:12 AM
I am not female, but I am sure a significant percentage of this forum is female. It is even rumored that LaRoza is female, but nobody knows. ;-).

Wiebelhaus
August 24th, 2008, 03:12 AM
There's like that one , you know... over there at linux.com.

Yea , think that's about it.

j/k

JillSwift
August 24th, 2008, 03:13 AM
This question gets asked a lot.

Why does it matter?

LaRoza
August 24th, 2008, 03:16 AM
Females are more numerous: http://ubuntuforums.org/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=3688

LaRoza
August 24th, 2008, 03:17 AM
It is even rumored that LaRoza is female, but nobody knows. ;-).

Please, there is another thread dedicated to that ;)

Many mods are female, but I don't think it matters.

Slug71
August 24th, 2008, 03:29 AM
It doesnt matter, like i said im just curious. Dont really see a lot of females taking the time to learn it.

JillSwift
August 24th, 2008, 03:33 AM
It doesnt matter, like i said im just curious. Dont really see a lot of females taking the time to learn it.
Don't see as in actually witness a lot of women taking the time to learn Linux, or don't see as in misogyny?

benny bronx
August 24th, 2008, 03:37 AM
How about a third choice somewhere in the middle?

My experience, when mentioning linux, is that the "why would I use that" look is gender neutral.

damis648
August 24th, 2008, 03:38 AM
misogyny?

I know what that means! :):):) He is probably referring to that, though.

BGFG
August 24th, 2008, 03:51 AM
Dosn't really matter to me. But it does keep coming up doesn't it. 'Ubuntu Dating forums' anyone ? :lolflag:

vikramaditya
August 24th, 2008, 05:10 AM
Welcome to the internet, where men are men and so are most of the women. :)

LaRoza
August 24th, 2008, 06:04 AM

I don't see a lot of men taking the time to learn it. In fact, almost all of the trolls on this forum are males...

acrousey
August 24th, 2008, 06:17 AM
Welcome to the internet, where men are men and so are most of the women. :)

I'm a guy, but I agree with vikramaditya. When stuff is supposed to remain gender neutral, most people assume it to more masculine (at least on the internet, I think anyways).But it was interesting to see in that poll that there are more females than males.

pbpersson
August 24th, 2008, 06:35 AM
If females are attracted to Linux then it makes sense they would be attracted to Linux gurus. Us guys should all learn everything we can about the Linux Kernel so we can impress them with our vast Linux knowledge.

Guaranteed to break the ice at parties. ;)

LaRoza
August 24th, 2008, 06:49 AM
If females are attracted to Linux then it makes sense they would be attracted to Linux gurus. Us guys should all learn everything we can about the Linux Kernel so we can impress them with our vast Linux knowledge.

You will fail pitiful human. Your egos exist only so female geeks can squash them like fudgescicles on an LA freeway.

pbpersson
August 24th, 2008, 07:17 AM
You will fail pitiful human. Your egos exist only so female geeks can squash them like fudgescicles on an LA freeway.

Hmm.....I was just in another post where they were talking about Jelly Donuts.....now you are talking about fudgesicles...this forum would be torture for someone on a diet ;)

ubuntu27
August 24th, 2008, 07:23 AM

Spoken like a true android!

Lord DarkPat
August 24th, 2008, 09:13 AM
They're all probably droids, anyway.LaRoza is neither. LaRoza is borg,and it lives in a cluster

Kabezon
August 24th, 2008, 09:26 AM

I don't think so lol

geekygirl
August 24th, 2008, 11:53 AM
I have seen the odd Linux fanatic...NO THANKS!!!! Just because I use Linux does not mean I find other Linux males HOT...far from it :P

ner ner ner

Oh yeah, apparently I am a female(says so on my birth certificate, and I sit down to pee)...you can all get excited now, as I love Linux, and I really love PC hardware..what an oddity I must be to some of you blokes in here (or you are now thinking nasty things about me with regards to my appearance or gender preferences...*sigh*)

*need to find a 'girls' forum and ask if there are any 'men' in there....*

Vishal Agarwal
August 24th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Oh yeah, apparently I am a female(says so on my birth certificate, and I sit down to pee)...

:)

quinnten83
August 24th, 2008, 01:21 PM
I have seen the odd Linux fanatic...NO THANKS!!!! Just because I use Linux does not mean I find other Linux males HOT...far from it :P

ner ner ner

Oh yeah, apparently I am a female(says so on my birth certificate, and I sit down to pee)...you can all get excited now, as I love Linux, and I really love PC hardware..what an oddity I must be to some of you blokes in here (or you are now thinking nasty things about me with regards to my appearance or gender preferences...*sigh*)

*need to find a 'girls' forum and ask if there are any 'men' in there....*

We're geeks, we all sit down to pee.

djsroknrol
August 24th, 2008, 01:30 PM
I know of a gal who is a mod on another forum I frequent. She hails from South America, is all female in every sense of the word, and knows Linux forward and backwards....:popcorn:

Slug71
August 24th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Don't see as in actually witness a lot of women taking the time to learn Linux, or don't see as in misogyny?

Well yeh actually witnessed and taking the time. I by no means mean it in a negative way.

My experience, when mentioning linux, is that the "why would I use that" look is gender neutral.

Thats why i asked. "why would I use that", is my fiance's impression of it. And i only know guys that use Linux, Quite a few of them which is why i started using it.

blithen
August 24th, 2008, 03:31 PM

xD Pretty much.

Slug71
August 24th, 2008, 03:38 PM
This thread or question is in no way meant to be taken negatively. Its not to get a date or whatever else. Like i said in my earlier post, i only know guys that use linux and the females i know didnt really care much for it. It also just seems to have been more a guy thing since we like to see what we can break and then fix it and break it again.

So im really just trying to see if my perception was always wrong.

david sousa
August 24th, 2008, 03:43 PM
We're geeks, we all sit down to pee.

HHAhahHAhAhhahaHAhAHHAAHHAhahahha....hahahhaha...h hhaha.h.ah...hahaha..hahah

Not really, but it was funny! :lolflag:

Naiki Muliaina
August 24th, 2008, 04:39 PM
My partners in the unfortunate position that she knows how to build and use a PC properly. She has an impressive pair of ***** (d cup for those in UK), and knows a bit about Mandriva linux. She also reads my linux formats when im done with them. The reason her positions unfortunate, is cause of the worrying situations that occur when she walks into PC world...

A shop of nerds, with nerds for staff, with a top heavy lass walking around the computer components section... The amount of tounges on the floor just cant be hygenic >.<

mellowd
August 24th, 2008, 04:42 PM
This thread or question is in no way meant to be taken negatively. Its not to get a date or whatever else. Like i said in my earlier post, i only know guys that use linux and the females i know didnt really care much for it. It also just seems to have been more a guy thing since we like to see what we can break and then fix it and break it again.

So im really just trying to see if my perception was always wrong.

Very wrong

wersdaluv
August 24th, 2008, 05:41 PM
LaRoza is a girl

Kernel Sanders
August 24th, 2008, 05:44 PM
I'm a woman. In fact, my avatar is a photo of me on a night out.

Hire
August 24th, 2008, 05:45 PM
I'm not a female but I have convinced my gf to use Ubuntu on her EEE :D

LaRoza
August 24th, 2008, 06:08 PM
LaRoza is a girl
Prove it.

I'm not a female but I have convinced my gf to use Ubuntu on her EEE :D
Converting someone from a Linux distro to another doesn't count ;)

Lorelei-
August 24th, 2008, 09:39 PM
My partners in the unfortunate position that she knows how to build and use a PC properly. She has an impressive pair of ***** (d cup for those in UK), and knows a bit about Mandriva linux. She also reads my linux formats when im done with them. The reason her positions unfortunate, is cause of the worrying situations that occur when she walks into PC world...

A shop of nerds, with nerds for staff, with a top heavy lass walking around the computer components section... The amount of tounges on the floor just cant be hygenic >.<

ROFL - speaking from experience a top heavy lass walking into any shop that contains a higher ratio of men to women (both in terms of staff and customers) leads to that.

Bet she loves being able to wipe the smug grins off any of the said male nerds who try to treat her like she's stupid :tongue:

Lorelei-
August 24th, 2008, 09:46 PM

From my point of view I don't really see a lot of people taking the time to learn it, regardless of gender.

Also it could have something to do with social conditioning and the fact that computers and all its related paraphenalia (i.e. networking, programming, gaming etc) are generally build to the masses as being male pursuits which is likely to make women a bit hesitant about jumping on the band wagon en mass.

Personally, I like Linux because I like knowing how to stuff works (and how to fix it if it breaks) as well as just being able to use it and because its less vulnerable security wise and seems more logical as a system to me. Oh yeah and I have whole moral thing re: open source.

Anyway, my point is that gender didn't really come into my thinking when I decided to take the plunge and covert to Linux earlier this month.

lyni
August 25th, 2008, 05:41 AM
I am a female and I've been using Ubuntu since June and I love it. I have been using microsoft since I started learning about computers in 1988 because I didn't really know that there were any other OS's. my sons always fixed whatever problems arose and I was always a bit scared of computers even though I used them. last year in May I used OpenOffice for the first and had to search around the net to find assistance with it and discovered forums. once I became familiar with OpenOffice I became less scared of computers and started looking around the internet a bit and found Ubuntu. after thinking about it for a while I asked my son to help me install it. it took months for him to agree. he kept trying to talk me out of it but I insisted. since then I have been coming to this forum and asking questions and looking at the various posts and trying to learn as much as I can.

mike1234
August 25th, 2008, 05:41 AM
This question gets asked a lot.

Why does it matter?

Maybe for a sense of belonging through camaraderie. Not everyone is a Unisex Cyborg. Remember the Ubuntu Human Mantra?

M.

mike1234
August 25th, 2008, 05:49 AM
I'm a woman. In fact, my avatar is a photo of me on a night out.

Wow! Hi Kate Beckinsale. Nice to meet you.:lolflag:

M.

wersdaluv
August 25th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Prove it.

Converting someone from a Linux distro to another doesn't count ;)
Saw you on google maps =))

BGFG
August 25th, 2008, 08:03 AM
The borgs were hot. Left up to me humanity would have gone extinct. i would soooooo have not resisted. :)
How sad is that ?

People always talk about Fight or Flight.
What about the politely Decline/Acquiesce reflex ?

brawnypandora0
March 22nd, 2011, 10:22 PM
Women students form less than a third of most computer science departments in the US and UK. I'd imagine that percentage is much lower in terms of Linux usage. My guess is that it's an 85-15 M/F ratio for all the Ubuntu users worldwide.

cariboo
March 22nd, 2011, 11:30 PM
This thread is over three years old, please start a new one. Closed