PDA

View Full Version : Nickname Origins

23meg
November 14th, 2005, 12:14 AM
I like to learn the weird little stories behind names, monikers, abbreviations of all sorts; I'm sure others do as well, so, time for some demystification: tell us where your nickname comes from. I'll kick it off:

I worked for a long time on a 486 computer which mistakenly reported it had 23 megabytes of ram on startup, and being a long time reader of W.S. Burroughs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_S._Burroughs) I have an obsession with the number 23 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_23_enigma) like he does and I'm inclined to put it everywhere.

linbetwin
November 14th, 2005, 12:22 AM
linbetwin: in between Linux and Windows (or is it Windwoes?)

Stormy Eyes
November 14th, 2005, 12:24 AM
Stormy Eyes: I have blue-grey eyes (sort of a gradient effect from grey around the pupils to deep blue) that reminds my wife of stormy seas.

Lovechild
November 14th, 2005, 12:25 AM
Lovechild comes from my favorite movie Oliver Stone' JFK (and no I do believe Oswald did it). There's a wonderful scene in there between Walter Matthauw and Kevin Costner omboard an airplane, and they are talking about this hippie girl who had the words Love child painted on her pregant stomach.
Anyways for some reason that facinated me and it stuck.

TravisNewman
November 14th, 2005, 12:34 AM
Steve Oedekerk did a series of movies with thumbs as the main characters. The Blair Thumb Project, Thumb Wars, Thumbtanic, the GodThumb, Batthumb, and FrankenThumb. He also did the movie "Kung Pow," where he took an old Kung Fu movie, inserted himself into it, and changed all the dialog (and it's hilariouis). On the Kung Pow DVD, there's a special feature called "The Panicked Thumb." If you select it, there's a 3 or so second scene from Thumb Wars (that was later used in Thumbtanic, and is hilarious there when you've seen Thumb Wars), where this thumb dressed in star wars gear comes running out screaming "We've been hit!"

I changed my screen names that night and haven't looked back ;)

Master Shake
November 14th, 2005, 12:34 AM
Master Shake is the leader of the "Aqua Teen Hunger Force", a trio of sentient fast-food items, as seen on the Cartoon Network, usually Sundays at 11:15 PM central.

Master SHake is not very bright, has no work ethic, is loud and obnoxious. He constantly harasses his romate Meatwad (A meatball), as well as his next door neighbor Carl. Usually Frylock (Large order of French Fries) has to correct everything Shake screws up.

As far as my sig goes, in one episode, Shake creates a super hero-alter ego called "The Drizzle" who is a superhero that can cause it to rain, but only outside, and when there's precipitation in the forecast.

Look for the Aqua Teen HUnger Force Movie in theaters in 2006!

Manny C
November 14th, 2005, 12:37 AM
Manny C:
1. Manny is the nickname first given to me by one of my bible study leaders. I liked it, I use it as my MSN alias and now most of my friends call me Manny
2. C is the first letter of my surname.

dabear
November 14th, 2005, 12:44 AM
My name: Bjørn Inge (ø as in the u in burn, and j as in the y in yelp. the «e» in Inge is not silent)
Chop off the «Inge» part and you are left with «bjørn», which means «bear». The bear-> Dabear

bartendercorey
November 14th, 2005, 01:00 AM
I bartended for 6 years before the job I have now. It started as a nickname for Quake I (Wow!) and I've used it ever since. At work they call me Core-Monster because of how tough I'm on the users.

Pi rules
November 14th, 2005, 01:04 AM
I know about 250 digits of pi, and when my friends used to ask (they don't anymore, ;)) I would say "Pi rules!" It was the only thing I could think of when I registered.

benplaut
November 14th, 2005, 01:10 AM
mine is really, really complex.

My first name is Ben. My last name is Plaut

i wish i'd chosed something better, but by the time i wanted to change it, i had a reputation in about 5 forums and a few chatrooms, and it would have been too cumbersome ;)

BWF89
November 14th, 2005, 01:11 AM
BWF = my first, middle, and last initials

89 = the last 2 digit of the year I was born, 1989.

crispingatiesa
November 14th, 2005, 01:16 AM
Mine would be evident for spanish speaking people, in english is sort of rude, here it goes.. Crispin Gatiesa separatedly Crispin is a common spanish name and gatiesa could easily be a family name, but when put together and read in a sentence is like saying in english "Chris stiff ****"

So tehre it is. Sorry guys :cool:

bored2k
November 14th, 2005, 01:39 AM
Anyways, on with me. I started using this nickname around the year 1999 (seventh/eighth grade). At the time, due to the Y2K marketing_propaganda/fiasco (you be the judge of that), I started to like the 2k suffix so I started using it everywhere I could. So one day, after spending about 20 minutes staring at my disconnected IRC window, thinking of a nickname to use because I thought my old CerealKiller-related nick was lame(r), I went with my guts and went with the bored2k one, which I think suits me very well. Something funny that happened was that once logged in the warez channel (some server..), some idiot OP banned me "for being bored", which made me like it even more :D.

TravisNewman
November 14th, 2005, 01:55 AM
"some idiot OP banned me "for being bored", which made me like it even more"

That's fantastic. ;)

matthew
November 14th, 2005, 02:00 AM
Gosh, my story's boring. My nickname is my name.

super
November 14th, 2005, 02:03 AM
my name is david. i play a lot of football (or soccer for you americans) and i play hard! like, with absolute disregard for my health. so when i was about 15, my friends started calling me superdave (http://www.bobeinstein.com/images/tripledave%5B1%5D-adjusted.jpg) who is (was?) a stuntman. it was shortened to just super soon after.

fascinating in'nit?

EDIT: btw on every forum/chatroom i visit my avatar is always just some random image. no association what so ever to my moniker.

fuscia
November 14th, 2005, 02:10 AM
i used to play a lot of golf at a nice, family run course. whenever i would order a gatorade at the snackbar, they would ask "what color?" i always responded 'fuscia'. unfortunately, it was well after establishing the nickname that i realized i had mispelled it.

Brunellus
November 14th, 2005, 02:17 AM
I name myself after the protagonist of Speculum Stultorum a Latin novel, written in France sometime in the thirteenth century or so.

The protagonist is Brunellus, an ass, who comes to Paris where the scholars of the university hail him as a genius, and immediately make him a Doctor of Divinity.

Since I, too, am an ass who went to a midieval university, I thought it fitting.

stimpack
November 14th, 2005, 02:17 AM
A Stimpack is an item in the Quake series of games that gives you 2 health.

kelsey23
November 14th, 2005, 02:28 AM
Mine is from my first name Kelsey and then my favorite number, 23 added to it :-)

eriqk
November 14th, 2005, 02:44 AM
I go by the nickname "tetraplan" all over the intarweb[1].
I decided to sign up for this forum with my real name, but it turned out someone was already using it. I munged it slightly so it will at least sound like 'Erik" when pronounced.

Groet, Erik

[1] I came up with that when I was looking for a name for my techno project. I later found out that apart from sounding really really techno it was also a brand of fishfood.

bluefunnel
November 14th, 2005, 03:15 AM
I think the funnel is quite possibly one of the greatest things ever created that involves channeling liquid into small openings. Actually, it was the first thing that I thought of.

I like the color blue.

I also try to make sure that all funnels I buy are blue funnels.

xequence
November 14th, 2005, 03:41 AM
About a year and a half ago I was making accounts on a site, but they kept deleting my account for some reason. I didnt care, but I was running out of names. I asked someone on IM and they told me some good ones, xequence being one of them. Another one they gave me was xequal, which my little brother uses on a site, and I used once on a site because I had forgotten my password to the xequence account I had signed up for on the site.

claydoh
November 14th, 2005, 03:47 AM
My name. being Clay, I grew up with a lot of jokes about it. I First was called claydoh in the second grade, and it stuck, somehow following me through elementary schools across many states.

mind you, I was in the second grade back in 1972. My wife started calling me that before we got married, thinking it was something she came up with ;)

SGC
November 14th, 2005, 04:14 AM
The best fictional place in the whole world:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SGC

maxmouse
November 14th, 2005, 04:18 AM
My name came from a character in stories I used to write as a kid :)

NeoChaosX
November 14th, 2005, 04:28 AM
I used to have the handle chaos450 on most websites. I really like the Chaos part (I'm a HUGE fan of the first Sonic Adventure game and it's boss, Chaos), and I picked Neo since it means "new", since I felt the name as something of a new beginning for me online. I threw the X on the end just for the hell of it.

Kvark
November 14th, 2005, 04:30 AM
Kvark is a swedish word that means quark (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quark). I picked it because I like the sound of it, it is short and most people have no idea what it means.

JimmyBEng
November 14th, 2005, 04:40 AM
the first part of mine comes from my name and last initial, although everyone usually calls me James instead of Jimmy. I have several tags that i use on the end for a couple variations. this one comes from high school where one of my teachers called me 'engineer' due to the fact that I fit that stereotype, and it was what I was going into in college.

Iandefor
November 14th, 2005, 04:48 AM
My name is Ian. My mother's maiden surname is Deforrest. Ian + [1st 5 letters of Deforrest] = Iandefor. If you want to know how I came up with it, that's been lost in antiquity (~5 years ago) :).
I am also known as Johann; For some inscrutable reason, I started calling one of my friends by his Russian name (Yakhov = Jack) and, in retaliation, he started calling me by my German name (Johann = John = Ian).

gabhla
November 14th, 2005, 04:53 AM
"Gabhla" is an inhabited island off the coast of Donagal.

crispingatiesa
November 14th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Spanish is my main language, and I don't get it. Must be something native of your country.

Cris Pinga Tiesa

bored2k
November 14th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Cris Pinga Tiesa
Definitely native of your country. None of those words even make sense to me.

Malphas
November 14th, 2005, 05:26 PM
My real life nickname is Lobo. Malphas is just something I randomly chose while signing up for a forum, it's the name of some Demon in Christianity or something.

crispingatiesa
November 14th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Definitely native of your country. None of those words even make sense to me.

Bored, I'm from Cuba originally, I can assure you that as far as I know, in the Caribbean and almost all spain everybody knows what a Pinga is and Tiesa you can even find it in any dictionary.

Below, the definitions as per the R.A.E (LA Real Acc. de la Lengua)

tieso, sa.
(Del lat. tensus, tendido, estirado).
1. adj. Duro, firme, rígido.
2. adj. Tenso, tirante.
3. adj. Afectadamente grave, estirado y circunspecto.
4. adj. Terco, inflexible.
5. adj. coloq. muerto (ǁ sin vida).
6. adj. coloq. Muy impresionado o asombrado. Su confesión dejó tiesos a los oyentes. Se quedó tiesa al verme llegar.
7. adj. coloq. Entumecido a causa del frío.
8. adj. coloq. Que no tiene dinero.
9. adv. m. Recia o fuertemente. Pisar tieso. Dar tieso.
tenérselas tiesas.
1. fr. Hacer frente con entereza a un contrario, discutiendo o peleándose con él.
tieso que tieso.
1. loc. adv. coloq. erre que erre.

pinga.
1. f. coloq. eufem. Am. Cen., Cuba, Ecuad., Perú y Ven. pene.
2. f. C. Rica. Poca cantidad de algo. Una pinga de sal.
3. f. Filip. Percha, por lo común de metro y medio de longitud, que sirve para conducir al hombro toda carga que se puede llevar colgada en las dos extremidades del palo.
4. f. infant. Hond. Trompo pequeño.
5. f. infant. Hond. En el juego y juguete del enchute, varita o eje de madera de unos diez centímetros que debe introducirse en el agujero de la pieza superior, que tiene forma de copa invertida.
de ~.
1. loc. adj. Cuba y Ven. Muy bueno, excelente.
2. loc. adv. Ven. Bien, convenientemente.
la ~.
1. loc. interj. vulg. Cuba y Ven. U. para expresar rechazo.

Is it to much to ask where are you from?. (I'm just curious now)

Saludos
C

bored2k
November 14th, 2005, 05:57 PM
I want to answer but we're keeping this thread ON-topic now.

Ufo
November 14th, 2005, 06:09 PM
I have trouble remembering all login names and passwords that I have so I use names that are somehow connected to where they are used.
So in both here and in finnish Ubuntu forums I have login name
Ubuntu FOrums

Miguel
November 14th, 2005, 06:16 PM
I am exceedingly original... My RL name is Miguel.

The funny part is, that in most places I sign up as el quark (the quark). Just like kvark.

On the other hand, my PhD student colleages also call me with a variety of names, including Miguelinux, Compilator (mix compiler, terminator, and a linux noob compiling every new kernel release and you get... compilator) and a couple more.

BTW: I'm spanish and I did understand the pinga thing.

Kyral
November 14th, 2005, 06:31 PM
If anyone has watched Mobile Fighter G Gundam, it should be obvious. Yes I choose my nickname from that character completely at random (Okay, I also think Kyral owns in the last two episodes of G Gundam, for a supposedly minor character). The second part of my AIM SN is just a remenant of an old SN I used.

And my avatar, Keitaro Urashima from Love Hina, 'cause I think I resemble him and act like him at times.

earobinson
November 15th, 2005, 04:46 AM
BWF = my first, middle, and last initials

89 = the last 2 digit of the year I was born, 1989.

ya i would have gone with my initals 2 but they are e.a.r and people would just be like ear wtf? hence the earobinson, im also earobinson, or earobinson111 or earobinson222 ... earobinson xxx where x = 0-9 all over the interweb. I like haveing the same name all over the internet, its like part of me and im not the only one, I think the original link is down by now but I have a copy on my blog http://earobinson.blogspot.com/2005/10/tech-blizzard-made-me-change-my-name.html

jyank
November 15th, 2005, 04:50 AM
It was actually AOL that came up with my nickname that has stuck with me. This was in the days of AOL 2.5, my first ever time going online. When you made a username it didn't let you chose it asked questions about you, then generated a screen name.

Mine I put in my name, John and Yankees, it generated jyankees with a few numbers, that was my screen name for a while, then once I started talking to people and started some gaming they just made it shorter and jyank has stood with me since

Samuel
November 15th, 2005, 05:02 AM
Mine is just my real name given to me by my mum, i like it :)
I was shocked it wasnt taken, it normally is.
If taken i would have used my normal nick, Errtu which is a character from a book written by R.A.Salvatore which i was reading at the time i started playing online games...

The avatar is spoilsbury toast boy from the site fat-pie.com

megamania
November 15th, 2005, 11:13 AM
My real name is Gianfranco (read it like john-frank-oh).

I started using this nickname on the AtariAge.com website as a tribute to my old-time favourite game from Activision. Now I realized that I like it and I'm using it more and more... :-)

tomski
November 15th, 2005, 12:04 PM
tomski =
myname : tom
+
my street nickname : tomsk ( i used to always used run about when i was a kid & say 'remember your a womble!' )
+
i like dance music : E (mainly techno)

original spelling tomsk-e but have changed it to tomski
(coz I dropped the E)
hahahahaha

whoops i dont think i should have said that!!

Pablo_Escobar
November 15th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Pablo -> because it's a Spanish version of my first name (Paul)
Escobar -> because being a white folk I'm somewhat dark skinned :) -> Hence South American flavour :)

I know that there was a not so great man called exactly as my nickname (I've been asked about it a 100 times), but I hold no refference to what he's been involved with. :)

jeremy
November 15th, 2005, 01:43 PM
My nickname, jeremy, comes from my real name, jeremy. Chose it because it is so similar, and luckily when I first registered for the forums, it was not taken.

public_void
November 15th, 2005, 02:48 PM
There is no really meaning to my name. I usually go by void on other forums, variations are public_void (my name here, duh) and private_void. I got it from programming, C languages, void in a method name meaning that the method returns nothing. I always go by that avatar of Professor Frink from The Simpsons, you won't be able to find that image, but you can find where I got it from.

ScoobyDan
November 15th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Mine comes from:

I used to own a Subaru Impreza, which is commonly called a "Scooby"
My first name is Daniel, which is often shortened to "Dan"

My avatar is one I made using a cartoon graphic of a Scooby and the Ubuntu logo.

Daniel

ferentix
November 15th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Hey, I just realised my nick sounds kinda like a linux distro :)

Anyways, no particular origin of my name, I made it up off my head for a fantasy MUD. Srprised me some then to find there's another Ferentix, who posts under that name at some Gran Turismo forums. I use this name for basically all forums, except a couple where I go by my older nick of "the duck" or "rm duck" (stands for RPGmaker duck). That nick also meant nothing ;) Similarly, very few avatars I use mean anything. I make most of mine (GIMP! Yay!). One is a "satanic Tintin" for some reason.

So you might say that my nicknames mean meaninglessness or something :p

autocrosser
November 19th, 2005, 03:29 AM
Well--I've been Autocrossing cars for the last 20 or so years & it's different:rolleyes:--The avatar is from one of my current favorite movies--Skycaptain & the World of Tomorrow (if you haven't seen it--do so--it's really 30's serial-ish)--I hobby in cars & computers alternating (Mac computers & 80's Subaru cars:???:--love showing rear ends to newer "faster" cars & I started using Macs when the MHZ speeds were below 20--yes, there was a time when you waited 10 minutes to boot)--still have several mid-90's macs around--In my "spare" time I work with Graphics & Webdesign (So I'm a all-around crazy!!)

That's my story & I'm sticking to it------

cstudent
November 19th, 2005, 05:13 AM
I started studying C programming about the time I started using Ubuntu.

futz
November 19th, 2005, 07:13 PM
futz f&ts v.i. To tinker experimentally; to change something just to see what it does.

I futz around with computers. Have been doing it since 1978. Started on a TRS-80 Model 1. Moved to TRS-80 Color Computers and a Model 3, and then to a MM/1. Ran OS-9 (a lot like Linux) for years. Then switched to PC's, starting with a 486-DX33 and working up to the present with a long string of different computers.

My computer room now has 5 boxes in it - two big, fast windoze-xp boxes, one big fast linux box (Fedora4, Mandriva and SUSE), this little celeron Ubuntu (and PCLinuxOS) box, and a junker station (also with Ubuntu). There are two complete separate networks - I pay for both ADSL and cable connections.

:-D And there's another station in the hallway for friends and repairs.

r4ik
November 19th, 2005, 09:58 PM
R is for Richard 4(for) ik, in dutch, means me.

Quest-Master
November 25th, 2005, 03:38 AM
Back when I was 8 I started a website called Star Quest. I was the webmaster of the site, so naturally, I came up with..

Quest-Master. :)

oskude
November 25th, 2005, 03:56 AM
i was called "osku" in finland, and now i live in germany(.de) ;)

donar73
November 25th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Donar (Thor) - one of the old germanic gods (more (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donar))
73 - the year i was born

Roptaty
November 25th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Roptaty: One of the norse god Odin's many aliases.

mrpixels0
November 25th, 2005, 12:17 PM
mine comes from a time when i was around 11 and wanted to do art on some of the now termed "Orphan Computers" mainly my intrest was in the Apple II E but later started doing pixel art on various machines starting from 1985 till the present.

yeah i know pixel art is dead and when compared to using programs like the Gimp, Ink scape, photo shop cs and many other modern programs for the graphics that are flashy and cool it is down right obsolete but there are some great examples of pixel art that are cool even in this day and age.

also the reason i like the atari 2600 and NES game systems.

well enough of my ramblings carry on.

Minyaliel
November 25th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Well, first off I should say that I'm a huge JRR Tolkien fan (the books, not the movies) and have been totally obsessed with elves, the elvish languages and anything concerning elves since I was 12.
I didn't invent my nickname myself, I was given it by a friend. Minyaliel is sindarin ("elvish") and means "Daughter of the Dawn". I adopted it because it fits me; I was born at dawn, and well, still am a huge Tolkien fan, and it's unique. And for some reason, I like the shortened versions of it which have emerged on other forums, Min and Miny very well. It is also my artist name, which makes it even more worthwile to promote ;)

xmastree
November 25th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Way back in about 1979-80, CB became popular in Britain (it was still illegal at the time). My friends had them, and I got one soon after. Because of the rather large lights on my car, they decided to call me Christmas Tree. That actually started late one night when I met one of them head on, out in the middle of nowhere. He was telling the others that this Christmas Tree appeared round the bend coming the other way.
It was rather bright, with four headlights plus two Cibié super oscars with 100W bulbs, and two bi-oscars (smaller dual-filament versions) arranged in a two-up, two-down formation.

http://image.rakuten.co.jp/wshop/data/ws-mall-img/kong/img64/img10341286333.jpeg

Anyway, CB came and went, and I got into computers. I signed up with a BBS and took advantage of their internet access. I had to choose a username, which had to be a valid DOS filename. Remembering my CB days, and how that was also communication, I chose xmastree.

I've since used that for any internet identity wherever possible. I was chris@xmastree.demon.co.uk once I finally got 'proper' net access.
Yahoo, that's xmastree_ph, my website is xmastree.34sp.com

I always try to sign up as xmastree on any forum. Couldn't get xmastree@gmail though, so that's chrismastree instead.

mike998
November 25th, 2005, 03:16 PM
Mike = My First name. there's a lot of us, so I added :
998 = The last 3 numbers in my Army Regimental Number.

bonzodog
November 25th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Way back in about 1979-80, CB became popular in Britain (it was still illegal at the time). My friends had them, and I got one soon after. Because of the rather large lights on my car, they decided to call me Christmas Tree. That actually started late one night when I met one of them head on, out in the middle of nowhere. He was telling the others that this Christmas Tree appeared round the bend coming the other way.
It was rather bright, with four headlights plus two Cibié super oscars with 100W bulbs, and two bi-oscars (smaller dual-filament versions) arranged in a two-up, two-down formation.

ROFLMAO!!!!

I was on CB too but in the late 80's. My nick comes from the 'Bonzodog Doodah Band'. I was a 70's baby and one of Margaret Thatchers 'children'.
(My family were true-blue tories). I do remember hearing them on the radio and thinking how cool the word 'Bonzodog' was in a dogs-of-war kinda way. I started using it on CB in the 80's and just took it with me to the Interweb, where I still use it universally.

izmaelis
November 25th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Ismael
The son of Abraham and Agar, the Egyptian. The name "Ismael", which occurs also in early Babylonian and in Minæan, was given to the child before its birth (Genesis 16:11), and means: "may God hear". Ismael was Abraham's own "son", and indeed his first- born. God disclosed to Abraham the glorious future which awaited Ismael: "As for Ismael, I have also heard thee. Behold, I will bless him, and increase, and multiply him exceedingly: he shall beget twelve chiefs, and I will make him a great nation." According to God's repeated promise of his future greatness, Ismael grew up, lived in the wilderness of Paran, became famous as an archer.
"He shall be a wild man: his hand will be against all men, and all men's hands against him: and he shall pitch his tents over against all his brethren."(Genesis 16:12)

But don't get me wrong. By chosing such nickname I don't want to insist that I'm violent against (or hate) other people. Just understand that part from Genesis as "person with different than public opionion", "different person". I like to hold on to my interesting ideas or points of view, to discuss/argue about that with my friends (usually my standpoint never changes). :rolleyes:

P.S. "ismael" = "izmaelis" (in lithuanian).

stooby
November 25th, 2005, 04:47 PM
a new Ubuntu user here, this seems as good a place to start posting as any. :)

as for my nickname stooby, it kind of originates from 2 places:

my name is Stuart, and I started to use stoo when high score tables in computer games allowed more than 3 characters.

I also got given a cuddly toy called 'Stoob the Alien' as a joke, because I run SETI@home.

the name 'stooby' stuck sometime shortly after the cutsey alien toy bit.

crane
November 26th, 2005, 08:15 AM
I originally used cranegod. As it was a joke among the people I worked with. I first started using it when I started getting into looking around forums. I would use it just because it was easy to remember. That has been a few years ago. I recently just started using crane or Crane ASWP on the game servers I played and well I have become known by that name.
So i guess I'll stick with it.

Oh, I guess you could say it was born where I work. I am a service technition for over head crane!

Jeremiah85
November 26th, 2005, 08:37 AM
Mine is a variation of my first name (Jeremy) with the last two digits of my birth year.

`GooZ´
November 26th, 2005, 11:12 AM
My nick is gooz, just gooz, that's it! Just came up with it once, and thought it sounded pretty well (a bit like goose)

GeneralZod
November 26th, 2005, 11:53 AM
The villain in Superman I/II; also, see

www.generalzod.net

(not my site :))

Pinoy Tux
November 26th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Pinoy is a nickname that refers to (male) Filipinos. We all know what Tux is. Hence, Pinoy Tux.

As for my avatar, I modified it to take in the characteristics of my country's flag (http://images.google.com/images?q=philippine%20flag) -- the sun; white, blue and red fields; and the 3 stars (well they don't look like stars unless you look hard enough :shock: lol).

Mabuhay all! :D

kurimaw
June 9th, 2006, 11:40 AM
kurimaw
: pangit. [ugly]

halimbawa: ang kulit netong kurimaw na 'to!

http://klockworkx.com/copongcopong/?kurimaw

i just like the way it sounds so there...](*,)

megahertza
June 9th, 2006, 11:46 AM
My name comes from a search for a truely orginal name when i started playing online games along time ago and it has stuck. I'm also called Megs, Mega.

Megahertz + a = Megahertza

Mayby i should become Gigahertza now since that where cpu are right now

drfalkor
June 9th, 2006, 11:53 AM
I used to watch "The neverending story", when I was little, so I tought I could use "The luckdragon" name ! Falkor ! :D .. Dr, Because I know alot of doctor stuff and so on !

Drfalkor.. In games I use: "Lord Falcon" 8-)

beercz
June 9th, 2006, 12:47 PM
My nickname was invented when I registered - I was drinking Czech beer at the time!!

garak
June 9th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Garak (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elim_Garak) is one of my favourite characters in Star Trek Deep Space 9

NESFreak
June 9th, 2006, 03:25 PM
my first gameconsole, bought it for only 10 gulden (4,50 euro) from an old friend of my dad. it included 12 games. After i'd bought it, some other guy that was visiting them to (i hate birthday's) offered 5 gulden per game. I didn't resell it. The damn thing is still standing next to me. I just love nintendo.

_simon_
June 9th, 2006, 03:29 PM
I gave up on weird meaningfull nicknames/handles years ago.

I just use my name now ;)

Spacecaptain
June 9th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Spacecaptain was a nickname created on the day that i passed my sailship captain permit. Seacaptain sounded way too "Arrrrr, ye crew heith that sail steadfast!!", so i added one dimension and: voilà!

Klaidas
June 9th, 2006, 03:36 PM
My nickname is 15 year old. Guess what! It's my name! =D> :)

wmcbrine
June 9th, 2006, 03:43 PM
'W' is the first letter of my first name (William), and "McBrine" is my last name. Creative, huh? But it was the id of the first Internet email account I ever had (I think the pattern may even have been a rule on that system), and I've stuck with it.

However, in some places, I'm known as "The Wicked Priest". This is even older than "wmcbrine", going back to my dialup BBS days. It's from a figure in the Dead Sea Scrolls, who some scholars have (controversially) identified as Jesus. I love the irony of that, and the sort of secret arrogance in calling myself that.

My previous aliases include:

"Konrad Korzenowski": a character in Eon, by Greg Bear (who in turn seems to have based it on the real name of author Joseph Conrad). I stopped using it because it was too obscure, and people thought it was just a real name.

"Ozymandias": some of the same ironic tone as "The Wicked Priest", perhaps running in the other direction.* I gave this up because too many other people were using it. (I've since found at least one other Wicked Priest.)

"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings!
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains.

Zodiac
June 9th, 2006, 03:45 PM
I am named after the Zodiac killer of serial killer fame.

Never caught you know... mwah ha ha....

Engnome
June 9th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Engnome is my online nick. One is En in Swedish.

In lan games I'm Werty (try typing it and you'll understand.)

FISHERMAN
June 9th, 2006, 03:47 PM
I'm addicted to Fisherman's Friend.

http://www.epinions.com/images/opti/df/0a/wellMedicineOTCAllFishermans_Friend_Lozenges-resized200.jpg

B0rsuk
June 9th, 2006, 04:24 PM
borsuk = badger in my language.

TeeAhr1
June 9th, 2006, 04:42 PM
TeeAhr1 --> T.R.1 --> The Risen One
(Yes, it is a phoenetic spelling of an acronym. Yes, I'm absurd sometimes.)

Before you ask, no, I'm not a Christian, and it has nothing to do with that "other" Risen One... ;)

I was in a very bad auto accident when I was eighteen years old. One person who was very dear to me died (I miss you, babe, wait for me). The other three of us damn well should have. I mean, it was just godawful, people don't walk away from something like that, it just doesn't happen. The first thought that crossed my mind when the car came to rest was "Wow, I'm dead. This isn't what I thought it would feel like..."

Someone spared my life that night. I lived, and continue to live, when I should have died. I feel that that night, I walked with Death, and came back to tell the story.

I have a crayon-drawn sign on the ceiling over my bed that reads: "Hot damn, you're alive!" It's the first thing I see every morning, and I try to live every day now with that attitude. Every day I get to walk the earth is another little miracle. I'm not just alive, I am risen.

That's my story, and it's true.

Mr_J_
June 9th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Mr_J_ because it's the first letter of my name. João. Which is the portuguese version of John...
It's also -_- if you turn your head upside down.

graabein
June 9th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Graabein is an old Norwegian name for wolf and I like wolves. :)

Footissimo
June 9th, 2006, 06:18 PM
My original username-that-I-used-everywhere was 'Foot' - from a line in some poetry book that goes "..and all that remained was a foot" or something like that. I also enjoy (club) football quite a lot, so Foot works for that too. Footissimo was derived from a bit of ridiculous naming silliness that occurred on my own forums, and the Footissimo bit stuck.

'Foot' is often a taken name, whilst 'Footissimo' is never taken, on the basis that it's meaningless :)

Boring eh! :)

Zodiac
June 9th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Graabein is an old Norwegian name for wolf and I like wolves. :)

Actually, we really want to know more about the Tom Selleck avatar...

I like it...

mcduck
June 9th, 2006, 09:40 PM
I'm addicted to Fisherman's Friend.

http://www.epinions.com/images/opti/df/0a/wellMedicineOTCAllFishermans_Friend_Lozenges-resized200.jpg
You too? I eat truckloads of those.

..and pretty much anything else with 'salmiakki' (ammonium chloride) in it. But for a chili-head like I am, combination of ammonium chloride and cayenne extract is quite addictive.. :D

I don't even remember where my nick's coming from.. But I quite like ducks. And I've used 'duck' as long as I can remember, but it's too common word and usually already in use so in the Net I'm using 'mcduck' instead.

xXx 0wn3d xXx
June 9th, 2006, 09:57 PM
My name came from back when I played Xbox Live...I went to register on a forum and I couldn't think of a name so I came up with this lame name. I personally don't like it but it stuck and here I am today. :)

Edit: I had my name changed to xXx 0wn3d xXx.

bluevoodoo1
June 9th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Comes from the Blue Voodoo line of guitar amplifiers made by Crate that I used to have (made somewhat popular by the likes of Marty Friedman [ex-megadeth guitarist])

Don't quite know what the "1" is for, I just thought "bluevoodoo" needed a number following it.

Oh yeah, and I practice voodoo of the blue variety, so it all fits together!!! :rolleyes:

Rhapsody
June 9th, 2006, 11:38 PM
I've actually had several usernames during my time on the internet. This specific one was actually taken from a female character in a long-running story (been going since the late 90s) which I keep meaning to do something with.

So where did I get her name from? Weirdly enough, I got it from a certain Apple operating system (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhapsody_%28OS%29) that I have never used. The origin of that name was apparently music-inspired though (giving me another idea that I put back into my story), which make me feel better about it all.

vertigo
June 9th, 2006, 11:56 PM
My nick comes from Alfred Hitchcocks film Vertigo, I liked it and it stuck. It started out as my nick on IRC although I go by a couple of different nicks on various forums it depends on which one is taken to what I use.

MetalMusicAddict
June 10th, 2006, 12:00 AM
Comes from the Blue Voodoo line of guitar amplifiers made by Crate that I used to have (made somewhat popular by the likes of Marty Friedman [ex-megadeth guitarist]
Marty rocks. \.../

Mine doesnt take much to figure out.

dralaroc
June 10th, 2006, 03:37 AM
As for me...my military friends back in the day combined my name Andre with the late rapper of the 80's Scott La Rock of Boogie Down Productions. Dralaroc has been with me for over twenty years. My auntie nicknamed me "Drakie" when I was a child...I wonder if she knew that Dapper Drake was in my future? :D

fluffington
June 10th, 2006, 04:09 AM
My name comes from the following IRC conversation several years ago:

<rgrrl> whats ur name mean??
<rc> RC stands for Red Cat. I'm trying to hide the fact that I'm actually Fluffington von Kittenstein, a superintelligent blue kitten from the planet Zert.
<rgrrl> oh

I'm rc, and I don't have any idea who rgrrl is, or even what channel that happend in. RC originally stood for Rabid Cow, and I've forgotten the origins of that one.

Shay Stephens
June 10th, 2006, 04:26 AM
I know about 250 digits of pi, and when my friends used to ask (they don't anymore, ;)) I would say "Pi rules!" It was the only thing I could think of when I registered.
Wow that's good. I only know it to 20 digits...we're not worthy...we're not worthy!!! :-D :-D :-D

As far as nicknames go, none have ever really stuck, so I just go by my normal name ;)

fluffington
June 10th, 2006, 04:44 AM
Wow that's good. I only know it to 20 digits...we're not worthy...we're not worthy!!! :-D :-D :-D

I had a friend in high school that would alternate between spending the entire day memorizing an extra 10 digits of pi and spending the entire day memorizing an extra 10 digits of e. He was up to 8000 or so on pi and closing on 2000 on e the last time I saw him. When he signed yearbooks, he filled up absolutly every blank area in the whole book with digits from pi.

Jucato
June 10th, 2006, 05:52 AM
Fenyx: a play on the word "phoenxi" which is my favorite mythical beast. I made it when I was making an account on the first online game I ever played (Ragnarok Online). It's really supposed to be pronounced like phoenix, but the spelling misleads, and people pronounce it as "feniks". Have been using this name for almost everything I sign-up for.

That was almost 3 years ago. Now I'm trying to reinvent my online presence/identity to Jucato, which holds the first 2 letters of every word in my name (except my mother's maiden name, coz would make it Jucadeguto. :p). Supposed to be pronounced as dew-ka-toh.

Btw, one nickname in this forums I'm particularly interested in is aysiu's. It looks oriental at first glance, but could also be pronounced as "I see you". :D

RavenOfOdin
June 10th, 2006, 06:32 AM
My nickname comes from Nordic mythology. . .Odin, who was believed to be the father of the world, had among many treasures two ravens who would fly to the ends of the earth and apprise him of the events taking place in it. Quite a while ago, and at a difficult point in my life, I started f*cking around with New Age religions. I considered this to be my lord and my savior and thus took the image of the raven as my own.

However, seeing as I cleared that point in my life and found faith in Christ - the only true Lord and Savior - this nickname no longer holds any meaning for me. Still have it registered on three forums though.

mssever
August 8th, 2006, 09:06 AM
When I got my first job, the company policy for usernames was the first and middle initials, followed by the first five letters of the last name. I'm not terribly wild about mssever (I'd rather be Scott), but it's never taken.

My avitar is the result of my first experiments with Inkscape.

Adamant1988
August 8th, 2006, 09:26 AM
I used to watch a T.V. show called Atom Ant when I was younger...like 5 years old. and Noni (Italian for grandmother) would always call me Adam Ant and I hated it when I was younger, but when she passed on Valentines day last year I started using it for my online name. The 1988 is just my birth year.

mips
August 8th, 2006, 09:59 AM
MIPS processors or the old speed rating of 'Millions of Instructins Per Second'

[h2o]
August 8th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Intitals combined with an interest for science. Been using it for at least 10 years, probably more. I turned out a computer guy and not a chemist though :)

Christmas
August 8th, 2006, 10:05 AM
My name in Romanian is Craciun, which is exactly what Christmas means in English :) I used it first back in 2000 when I connected to IRC for the first time, so I thought a fancy "Christmas" nick would be appropiate, and never changed it since. What actually annoys me is that people on IRC always talk to me like "Hey Santa what's up?" or "Easter didn't come yet!" or "Christmas is over!". Nobody ever thought that it's connected with my last name, I never connected it with Santa or the Christmas Celebration.

slimdog360
August 8th, 2006, 10:17 AM
my dogs name is slim, and the 360 because on some other sites slimdog is already taken.

wvslkr
August 8th, 2006, 11:20 AM
OKay I'll play; As close as as I can recall I first used this persona when I signed up to use Mepis. 8.?. I am from W by God stand up and smile V; other panhandle. Pat popped my cherry at the 3.6 version

Once he has you can't go back. I Once said Gnome is F(@#$$%%m).

Yet, here I sit on Ubuntu. Can use any other WM or DE and know the path (e17 temps me :cool: )hard to resist.HeHeheheheeeeee!! Still do not have a box that doesn't run Slack. If you want to learn there is nothing better. 11.0 is pending.;)

wvslkr
August 8th, 2006, 11:21 AM
OKay I'll play; As close as as I can recall I first used this persona when I signed up to use Mepis. 8.?. I am from W by God stand up and smile V; other panhandle. Pat popped my cherry at the 3.6 version

Once he has you can't go back. I Once said Gnome is F(@#$$%%m).

Yet, here I sit on Ubuntu. Can use any other WM or DE and know the path (e17 temps me :cool: )hard to resist.HeHeheheheeeeee!! Still do not have a box that doesn't run Slack. If you want to learn there is nothing better. 11.0 is pending.;)

Erik Trybom
August 8th, 2006, 01:19 PM
I've had several nicknames on different boards, on IRC etc. None of them is perfect however - some sound bad in English, other are just plain silly.

For this forum, I figured I'd just use my full name. I'm a proud Ubuntu user, and I stand by everything I say here. If the whole world knew I was running Ubuntu Linux, so much the better.

hashimoto
August 8th, 2006, 02:25 PM
My nickname, Hashimoto, sort of combines several things from my life:

First, I stayed one year working in Japan (a looong time ago), that's why I have a japanese nick.
Second, the meaning of Hashimoto is very close to my real family name.
Third, I stayed two years working in France and during that time I got totally freaked out with motorcycling. The french word "moto" is equal to motorcycle.

bruce89
August 8th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Simcity login stuck a 89 on the end of my first name.

djsroknrol
August 8th, 2006, 02:51 PM
For a while I was a DJ at a radio station and gal ran into me on the street and handed me a note asking for a request for a song on my next shift and it said "DJ's rock 'n roll"...I kinda liked it and it went from there...

Titus A Duxass
August 8th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Because I am!

Xzallion
August 8th, 2006, 04:24 PM
I can't remember if mine has a meaning or not, but I have used it almost 8 years now.

I was trying to come up with names for Dungeons & Dragons, and was taking normal words and modifying them. Well I randomly selected "Stallion" and started modifying it, and somehow came up with Xzallion after a few dice rolls. (I had a system to generate letters, though I can't remember it.)

I never got to use that character in D&D, but the name stuck. I tried wrighting a story about a character with that name, and draw him alot. It's kinda become my name I use in my head for myself, though I don't know exactly why.

xmastree
August 8th, 2006, 04:25 PM
The french word "moto" is equal to motorcycle.And the Hash? ;)

Brunellus
August 8th, 2006, 05:26 PM
And the Hash? ;)
obvious--means "comment"

LMP900
August 8th, 2006, 05:50 PM
LMP900: If anyone is into motorsport, my name may be familiar to you. It was a Le Mans class a while back. Cars like the Audi R8, BMW V12 LMR, and Cadillac Northstar LMP all belong in the LMP900 class. Currently, it has been replaced by the LMP1 class with the new regulations.

bobbybobington
August 8th, 2006, 06:01 PM
bobby bobington is my online alias, its some silly sounding name that i use instead of my real name. I suppose i thought of the most generic name i could, Bobby. then i just incorporated bobby into the last name, Bobbington.put the two together and voila!bobbybobington. If i have to fill out some form online for unimportant things that will probably sell my information i just fill it with fake info. My real name is a secret :-$!!!!... actually i trust you guys im just so used to using it for everything and makes remembering all my screen names easier. hehe screen names make me feel like a secretive internet ninja!

.t.
August 8th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Well, mine's quite simple. I wanted just to use the first letter of my first name ("T"), but I couldn't have just one letter: it had to be three. So I put a "." before and after the "t" to bump it up. It gets annoying on forums where I have to have more than 3 letters, and it was only after inventing it that I noticed that I more often than not came top of the online users list, which is nice.

I used to use a nickname a friend of mine gave to me when small, but I wanted to distance my personal life from my public one, so I ditched that as much as I could.

!nkubus
August 8th, 2006, 06:14 PM
mine is just a modification of my favorite band name Incubus. I also use some time inkubux (when "!" aren't accepted in usernames) wich is a mixt between linux,tux and Incubus.

Bragador
August 8th, 2006, 06:18 PM
I used to play dungeons and dragons with my friends as a teenager. Once I did a Berserker that I played for maybe 2 games. A Berserker is a kind of barbarian that usually gets pretty angry and smash things up if you want. I named it Bragador Delekhan.

I kind of found that name catchy and liked how it made me feel strong and important (my real name is more soft so...).

I took it as my unofficial super macho name :cool:

der_joachim
August 8th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Well, Joachim is my first name, a name that happens to be very rare around here. I really like the German language, especially the bit which puts the article in front of any first name. Besides, I have occacionally been referred to as "the Joachim", which may or may not be a good thing.The nickname is strangely appropriate. I started using it once and it kinda stuck.

Seq
August 8th, 2006, 06:32 PM
"Seq" is short for "Sequentious".

In high-school, me and a few friends would drive around, to the beach, etc. A friend of mine always drove, another always had the last word on our destination, and I always seconded the idea. On some sort of pirate theme we were having fun with at the time, this made us Navigator, Captain, and First Mate. It was pretty stupid, actually. It got worse, another time we were on some sort of Ancient Greek/Roman theme or something, and it became Navigus, Captinus, and Sequentious (as in Sequence. Next in Line. etc). Nobody ever actually called me this, but I needed something for "teh internets".

IRC (and laziness) eventually shortened it to "Seq".

-Phi-
August 8th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Long story short, it's my favourite greek letter.

That, and my best friend goes by Sigma.

(quite the old thread we have here)

- Phi

ice60
August 8th, 2006, 08:32 PM
ice60 is short for iceni60 (http://www.wilderssecurity.com/member.php?u=18289) if you do a search for iceni 60 (with a space - you'll see lots of posts by me if you look up iceni60 lol) you will see where it's from.

GuitarHero
August 8th, 2006, 08:34 PM
The Term "Guitar Hero" was referenced in the rolling stones simpsons episodes which promted me to use it. I've had it for a while, I bet most people assume I just like to play guitar hero on ps2, and i dont even own a ps2. But i do play guitar.

flaak_monkey
August 8th, 2006, 08:46 PM
in Unreal Tournament i did not really have a name. BUt one while playing i pulled a combo (alt+fire and reg fire) with flak cannon and it said" flak monkey". i modified it a bit, but it has stuck.

cogsprocket
August 9th, 2006, 04:45 AM
My name comes from an IRC network/channel I used to frequent. While I normally go by my nickname in this channel everyone suddenly created alter ego's for themselves with strange names like "Cuddles the Barbarian" and "Motimer Cohen." I came up with the name "Merriwether Cogsprocket" because I thought it sounded like some goofy uppity name. Since then I've done all my development under the name "Cogsprocket" and have used it as my standard handle for just about everything. Oddly enough the name has suddenly started to spring up elsewhere (I've found someone using it in City of Heroes through a Google search) but hey, I guess it's at least memorable.

vtel57
August 9th, 2006, 04:54 AM
Nothing mysterious here... vtel57 = my initials and a favorite number. :)

cleverselfreferentialname
September 27th, 2006, 05:01 AM
My name comes from conceit.

I have been told that my ego is the size of the universe.

Therefore, my ego is the universe.

And you are all figments of my ego.

Skia_42
September 27th, 2006, 05:32 AM
SKia is the Gaelic word for freedom, 42 is just pain cool.

Feanor
September 27th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Feanor is an elf of J.R.R. Tolkien's book "Silmarillion". My personality is the same of the character, and we have a lot of things that are in common.

henriquemaia
September 27th, 2006, 02:40 PM
henriquemaia= Henrique Maia, my first and last name. Not very imaginative, but I don't want to pretend to be something else I'm not.

dddouglas
September 27th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Simple. My name was taken so I stuttered it a bit. I don't really like to try for some deep meaning moniker. Douglas, Celtic/Gaelic : Dark water or From the dark water. Or something like that. Sound ominous.

Virak
September 27th, 2006, 04:05 PM
It's just a name I used in some MUDs and MMORPGs.

Reshin
September 27th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Resshin = king of the Flame Dragons in Flame Of Recca-anime :mrgreen:

Bree
September 27th, 2006, 05:55 PM
It's my name.

I know, my ideas are like magic. :KS

alecjw
September 27th, 2006, 06:38 PM
My real name is Alexander (Alec) James Wright. Simple.

angkor
September 27th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Angkor is the name of a famous and beautiful temple site in Cambodia. I've been there and loved the site, country and people. See my avatar for a small piece of it. :)

xhaan
September 27th, 2006, 06:49 PM
I picked some letters semirandomly and put them together.

sanderella
September 27th, 2006, 08:57 PM
My real name is Sandra. Some Ethiopian friends could not pronounce it, so they called me Sandara and then Sanderella.

I'm not married to a handsome prince, I don't have a wicked stepmother, nor any ugly sisters.

Pugaciov
September 27th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Victor Pugachev (Pugachyov) is a russian test pilot for Sukhoi fighters. I've been always interested in aeronautics, so I used Pugaciov (yeah, spelling mistake at the time) since my first e-mail account.

jeffc313
September 27th, 2006, 09:33 PM
my first name is Jeff my surname begins with C my birthday is 03-13-1991
so, eh.

maniacmusician
September 27th, 2006, 10:37 PM
i feel like mine is pretty self explanatory.

i love my guitars (Alexis, Miss Flo, and Tulia)

Demio
September 28th, 2006, 01:08 AM
Well, at first (some 8 years ago) I lost my original nickname in IRC (which I came up with about 10 years ago, due to reasons I don't want to go into. Let's just say I pissed off a person who was friends with an IRCop... etc.

So I had to come up with a new nick and since I was and still am a Harry Potter fan (no shame to admit it hehe) I chose "Dementor" (not actually spelt like that, that one was taken already, but I don't remember the spelling I used but it was something among the lines of "]D3m3nt0r[").

One day I had to register in some forums and at the time they didn't allow the use of special characters in nicks so I came up with "cool_dem" which is pretty self explanatory I think...

After a while, cool_dem became my main nick and I used it until some 4 years ago when I had to come up with a more roleplayish nick for a new character in Ultima Online, so I morphed "cool_dem" into "Demio".

And some months later, "Demio" had turned into my main nick and I plan to keep it for good ^^

jeffc313
September 28th, 2006, 01:19 AM
@demio? what was your original IRC name?

Demio
September 28th, 2006, 01:38 AM
Cybertol, why?

jeffc313
September 28th, 2006, 01:43 AM
Cybertol, why?

no particular reason. Just wondering why a IRCop would yank it.

user1397
September 28th, 2006, 04:13 AM
hmm...erik...i believe thats my name...and the 1397? well, if you look at the numpad, 1397 is very easy to memorize...

milehigh
September 28th, 2006, 04:24 AM
Mile + high = milehigh. I guess it's the first thing that popped into my head when I was registering because I live in the "Mile High City". We can never go to the metric system because the "1.609 km High City" just doesn't sound as good. ;)

BOBSONATOR
September 28th, 2006, 06:24 AM
BOBSONATOR

^

No clue, i used to have the nickname bob in 6thgrade for like 1 month, and i guess the -Nator falls in there.

chimp_rex
August 9th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Mine chimp_rex because as a kid, i used to draw this comic-like character named chimp (short for chimpanzee) whenever I'm bored. I'm still using it as my friends still refer me as chimp when on-line. Rex because my name is Rex. So, CHIMP_REX.

jseiser
August 9th, 2007, 02:16 PM
j - my first name i justin
seiser - my last name :)

Ive always used AxioN for everythign else, i got that off my pair of shoes i was wearing at the time, axions, im not creative. If you played TFC, then that was me :)

LaRoza
August 9th, 2007, 02:22 PM
I don't have a nickname, but people mangle my real name, so I often have temporary nicknames.

Arwen
August 9th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Many people know Arwen from Lord of the Rings but luckily noone chooses it for nickname so I did.It's small and cute :-P

jgrabham
August 9th, 2007, 08:23 PM
James Grabham
J Grabham
jgrabham

wow, original

Bannor
August 9th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Bannor is a character for Stephen R Donaldson's Thomas covenant Series my favorite set of books

Zzl1xndd
August 9th, 2007, 08:55 PM
I have had a lot of Nicknames over the years but a great number of years ago I went by Darkstar (John Carpenter's Darkstar) But then that damn skate board company came out so I was looking for a change.

Some of my other nicknames where
Tweak - From SouthPark (I drank like 12 cups of coffee aday)
Scare Crow - I was Skinny with a mop for hair :)
Beaker - Once again overly skinny
The Riddler - A friend once said I was a cartoonish super villain like the Riddler and it stuck

Gimpy - From undergrads (I wasn't sure how to take this one)
&
Rat Boy - Honesly I have no Idea how i got this one.

I just took Tweak and the Riddler and came up with Tweaked Enigma.

parker13
August 9th, 2007, 11:36 PM
Parker - coz it's my name

13 - because the number 13 is cool.

There are a few explanations why the number 13 is considered unlucky. The wikipedia article lists a few of them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/13_%28number%29#Unlucky_13

I personally think that the best explanation is that chapter 13 of the Book of Revelation is where the beast rises up from the sea and its number is revealed...

"Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."

nikoPSK
November 24th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Niko = Nicholas
PS = 2 Middle names, Pal and Sebastien
K = My last name, Kruzel

Kingsley
November 24th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Mine is my first name.

Linuxratty
November 24th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Linux,cause I like it...Ratty cause i have kept pet rats for eight years..
And no,the rat in my avatar was not one of mine.

Scarath
November 24th, 2007, 07:55 PM
cos it sounds like a monstrous scarf ... i think

-grubby
November 24th, 2007, 07:56 PM
let's see:
nathan=first name
Grubb=last name

happyhamster
November 24th, 2007, 07:58 PM
"happy hamster" because I was sure it would be picked as the name for Ubuntu 8.04. :)

argie
November 24th, 2007, 08:03 PM
arjie - My initials R G.

overdrank
November 24th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Needs no explanation !!!! [-X

blithen
November 24th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Haha. I've had this username for really everything now.

A long time ago when a handheld game came out called "Scannerz" you get these little cards depicting all the characters you could get. Well I found a card and it's name was Blithen, and they monster looked extremely cool. Almost like a sorcerer. So I've had this username for well..everything.

andhar
November 24th, 2007, 08:14 PM
a mix of my first and last names.

Sammi
November 24th, 2007, 08:17 PM
My IRL nick.

NoVista
November 24th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Why .. none whatsoever .. .. :???:

Palmyra
November 24th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Palmyra is a town of significance to Mormonism. No, I am not Mormon.