PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Youtube keeps on saying that flash player is not installed even though it is

shredder12
August 24th, 2008, 12:52 AM
I use 8.04 and have firefox 3 running...and
Whenever i try to open and run a video in youtube it always says that either java is turned off or the flash player installed is not up to date...
though i have downloaded and installed flash player from its official site a couple of times..and guess what whenever i try to look for missing plugins in certain sites then it says that adobe flash player is missing..and when i click on the install it says that the non-free flash plugin is already installed...
Wht's the problem with it..
help me..

Cheesehead
August 24th, 2008, 01:03 AM
...i have downloaded and installed flash player from its official site a couple of times...

There's your first problem.

You should be installing from the repositories, of course, using Add/Remove (or Synaptic, if you know how).

THE EASY ANSWER: (fastest)
Completely undo whatever install you have, and redo it the right way from the repos.
If you don't know how to undo it, the you really shouldn't be doing it.

THE GEEK ANSWER
How, exactly, did you install it? Step by step, show us the commands you used and the system's response.

Sef
August 24th, 2008, 02:08 AM
You should be installing from the repositories, of course, using Add/Remove

Applications > Add/Remove > show: All Available Applications > Search: adobe flash > click on top box (Macromedia Flash Plugin) > apply changes > apply > close.

aysiu
August 24th, 2008, 02:59 AM
Can you paste these commands in the terminal (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/terminal) and then paste the output back here? Warning: the first command may take a couple of minutes to execute:
sudo updatedb
locate libflash
dpkg -s flashplugin-nonfree
dpkg -s mozilla-plugin-gnash
dpkg -s swfdec-mozilla
cat /etc/lsb-release
uname -m
cat /etc/apt/sources.list

shredder12
August 24th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Applications > Add/Remove > show: All Available Applications > Search: adobe flash > click on top box (Macromedia Flash Plugin) > apply changes > apply > close.

Hey thanks it works now...