PDA

View Full Version : Web Design Language/Tools ?

alejandro.mc
August 24th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Hi, I'm going to try to learn how to design Websites. I have a very complete library with computers books updated every year. But I'd like to ask for your help deciding what should I study. I mean, I know nothing about it, Java, Dreamworks, C++, I have no idea what should I read about, if anyone could guide me a bit.

Thanks!!

Alejandro
Buenos Aires
Argentina

zmjjmz
August 24th, 2008, 12:59 AM
Depends on the kind of websites you want.
I think you should learn: (in this order)
XHTML, CSS, MySQL, PHP, Flash, javascript. (w3schools.com has some great learning material available.)

You can use Notepad++ for development (it runs perfectly in WINE), and KompoZer for quick lazy edits.

Drezard
August 24th, 2008, 01:13 AM
XHTML, CSS, PHP, Flash, javascript. (w3schools.com has some great learning material available.)

I agree with that. I learned the exact same way (except with JS and Flash switched around :P).

With those five languages you can create any website you want. Aslong as you've had enough pratice and exprience with them.

Drez

jimi_hendrix
August 24th, 2008, 01:22 AM
XHTML, CSS, PHP, Flash, javascript. (w3schools.com has some great learning material available.)

ive heard PHP is out dated and flash costs $$$ and is only for animation so i would learn that last...other then that i would learn it in that order except with java and flash switched

Barrucadu
August 24th, 2008, 01:55 AM
I learned HTML, the XHTML, PHP, CSS, and basic JavaScript. Google will teach you everything you need to know, if you ask it nicely :)

happysmileman
August 24th, 2008, 02:04 AM
Yeah basically HTML (and XHTML, which are almost the exact same so no bother there) and CSS first, then you can make basic websites, images, text etc.

Then Javascript will add client side stuff (code that runs on the viewers computer, useful for small apps and interface issues, nothing important or that needs to be secure).
And PHP will add stuff the server runs (which isn't accessible to the user, stuff like logins, handling data for the site, accessing databases).

Javascript and PHP can be learned in any order you want, when you learn them both you'll easily pick up when PHP should be used and when Javascript should be. Flash isn't necessary for building sites, large, complex, interactive sites can be built without any knowledge of it at all, whether you want to use it is up to you, but wait until after learning these four.

zmjjmz
August 24th, 2008, 03:21 AM
ive heard PHP is out dated

what

frrobert
August 24th, 2008, 12:01 PM

You can use Notepad++ for development (it runs perfectly in WINE), and KompoZer for quick lazy edits.

Flash I would but at the bottom of the list if I would even bother but I have made a choice not to use it because of its proprietary nature. I would add MYSQL. While you certainly don't need to be be a DBA but knowing some MYSQL would be helpful because many CMSs run on php and mysql.

Also in terms of editors while Notepad++ is a good tool, lets stay native to Linux. I would recommend Blue Fish or Geany

Saint Angeles
August 24th, 2008, 12:06 PM
ive heard PHP is out dated and flash costs $$$ and is only for animation so i would learn that last...other then that i would learn it in that order except with java and flash switched
ummm php is fine and flash is for more than just "animation"

you can make beautiful web interfaces with it (navigation)...

hessiess
August 24th, 2008, 12:24 PM
you can make beautiful web interfaces with it (navigation)...

... unless you install flashblock, or are on a platform without flash support, then the website is essentily useless.

Dreamworks
Dreamworks is a computer animation company, I assume you mean dreamwever, its OK, but defenatly not essential. whatever you do, DO NOT make websites with fount page, it outputs terribly bad code ;)

zmjjmz
August 24th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Flash I would but at the bottom of the list if I would even bother but I have made a choice not to use it because of its proprietary nature.

Actually, you can write flash using open source tools, and then use an open source flash player to use the results.
http://penguinpetes.com has some good examples of this.

And you're right about MySQL.

techmarks
August 24th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Probably would be nice if you also learned Python programming as you get more involved in advanced web projects.

alejandro.mc
August 25th, 2008, 02:44 AM
I'm very grateful for every reply in this thread and I'll definately study them in the order suggested.

Each day I love more and more this community!

Thanks a lot to everyone!

Alejandro
Buenos Aires
Argentina

master5o1
August 25th, 2008, 03:01 AM
Why flash?

XHTML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP and MySQL.

Instead of flash you could/should use SVG+JavaScript -- Effectively the same as Flash ActionScript!

Flash: ActionScript + Scalable Vector Graphics
SVG+JS: JavaScript + Scalable Vector Graphics

ActionScript and JavaScript are both ECMA scripts meaning sibling languages.

SVG is a vector graphics format WRITTEN in XML -- yes, text-file images.

Keeping costs down for your hobby should be easy with those 5 languages (XHTML/CSS/JS/PHP/MySQL)