PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know much about buses/trains in the US?

Warpnow
August 23rd, 2008, 11:10 PM
I'm currently in a long distance relationship. I thought she was coming back in a week, but it turns out she might be away for up to another two years.

:(

I need to find a cheap way to visit her. I live near Dallas. She lives near St. Louis.

I found Amtrak tickets for $89 roundtrip, and greyground for around $110.

I can apply a 15% student discount to each bringing the Amtrak down to about $75 roundtrip.

This seems like a good deal, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a better one?

Cheesehead
August 23rd, 2008, 11:49 PM
Dallas - St. Louis. That's a long trip.
$75 roundtrip is a very good price. Take it.

Take a book. And a snack.

Mr.Auer
August 24th, 2008, 12:23 AM
What, do they have trains in USA?
I thought they ended all that foolishness in the 1940s, when the car and oil companies bought most tram, train and bus companies and ran the down, so they could sell cars..

:D

Northsider
August 24th, 2008, 04:04 AM
I wouldn't take Amtrak for a city-city trip...flying is just as "cheap" and faster. Amtrak is only good for city-small city trips in which airlines are not competitive. If you found that price I would go for it if you don't need to worry about time. Don't do greyhound...

What, do they have trains in USA?
I thought they ended all that foolishness in the 1940s, when the car and oil companies bought most tram, train and bus companies and ran the down, so they could sell cars..
Erm, no...in many cities the streetcar network was torn up during the auto-age, but we certainly still have trains. Old rail cities like Philly, NYC, Boston, Chicago, and DC (to a lesser extent) still have extensive urban rail systems and many other cities are catching up. Certainly not as extensive as in European cities, but we're trying.

Warpnow
August 24th, 2008, 05:42 AM
Amtrak is roughly half the price on most of my comparisons to flying.

Northsider
August 24th, 2008, 03:11 PM
^^ It really depends though on the cities. From Chicago to NYC it's about $175 for 9 1/2 hours, with one stopover. Chicago to Springfield IL, $18. Or Chicago to Albany NY, $76. Amtrak is just better for travel to smaller cities. But like I said, if you found a good deal then go with it if you can handle the travel time.