PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Restore files emptied from trash?

bronner
August 23rd, 2008, 11:07 PM
Hey, somebody told me that you can recover files emptied from the trash in Ubuntu? How would one go about getting files that have been emptied from the trash back? I'm using Ubuntu 8.04, for reference. Thanks!

halitech
August 23rd, 2008, 11:12 PM
if they have been emptied from the trash then they are gone and there is no way of getting them back.

nitro_n2o
August 23rd, 2008, 11:19 PM
There are always ways of getting data from disks!!
but since you've emptied the trash it is a very hard to recover!!

I know of commercial programs as well as companies to recover your lost files..

There are also some free software that will recover your lost files on linux

search in google for hard disk recovery in linux
you'll get lots of results

ibuclaw
August 23rd, 2008, 11:32 PM
There is a package called testdisk in the repos.

sudo apt-get install testdisk
It is an ncurses base application, so a terminal is required.

cd ~/Desktop
sudo photorec /d restore

Select the partition and filesystem.
There is a "File Opt" menu selection, if you recall what type of file you accidentally removed, then you can set it to restore only those types of files.

Regards
Iain

Shazaam
August 23rd, 2008, 11:51 PM
Also, look in /root/.local/share/trash/files. Sometimes you can recover deleted files from there.

gjoellee
August 23rd, 2008, 11:52 PM
this is installed in Intrepid:)

bronner
August 24th, 2008, 02:50 AM
Thanks guys, when I get back to my computer I'll try this stuff... if not, I can probably restore them from my flash drive fairly easily... :)

bronner
August 24th, 2008, 09:59 PM
OK, but when I use photorec, the folders it recovers to are locked, they say I don't have permission to enter and I can't change the permissions because 'I am not the owner...' anyone know what I can do?

t0p
August 24th, 2008, 10:27 PM
OK, but when I use photorec, the folders it recovers to are locked, they say I don't have permission to enter and I can't change the permissions because 'I am not the owner...' anyone know what I can do?

You need to manage those files with admistrative privileges. In a the terminal, type

gksudo nautilus

A file manager window will open. Use that window to navigate to the files in question and change their permissions - I think a right-click, then click on Properties.

bronner
August 24th, 2008, 10:35 PM
You need to manage those files with admistrative privileges. In a the terminal, type

gksudo nautilus

A file manager window will open. Use that window to navigate to the files in question and change their permissions - I think a right-click, then click on Properties.

If we were in prison, I'd protect you in the shower, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! :)