PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Why won't Ubuntu install?

getagrip
August 23rd, 2008, 09:07 PM
OK ..I have spent over 2 weeks now trying to install this distro with no luck. It eventually destroyed my XP OS and I had to reformat and start over, many many times.

I also tried to install SUSE ..which had some advantages over Ubuntu in that it made some attempt to help you diagnose and fix your system during the installation process. But in the end it too failed. So it was back to bloated, over-rated XP. But I gotta give XP props for bailing me out everytime. Still I was determined to wein myself off Bill Gates ..and so I tried FEDORA ....this was even more lame than the last 3. Finally I tried MANDRIVA ..and walla!!!! Success at last. Part of the sticky situation with all the installs is the partitioning procedure.

When you give the system free reigns to install and have its way with the HD it fails. So now you take control, but the systems offer no help or guidance ...it's not like I was part of the team that created the OS "incorrect META DATA" ...what?? What is that???. So you go online and cull and cull through mounds and mounds of data with no real success.

MANDRIVA however took control and then ask me ...do I want to wipe away XP in the process ...exactly what I wanted.

Look, MS assumes its users are idiots and tries to make its product idiot proof. But that comes at an expense ...as MS uses to manipulate its users ...by grabbing your personal information and sell you stuff you don't need, and stack your system with bloatware.

I'm not asking for an idiot proof system here ...just a few simple guidance I can work with. Is it too much for the software to explain some very simple concepts during the install?

I'm happy with MADRIVA ...but I'm still baffled and dissapointed by my failures trying to get Ubuntu running. I am confident it wasn't my system after multiple XP re-installs and now a succesfull Linux install.

There is something about the partitioning process, the boot/mount issues that isn't fully explained. Thats what all the grub 1.5 hang messages are all about!!

pfdevil
August 23rd, 2008, 09:14 PM
Hey what is the exact problem that you got when installing Ubuntu?