PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation Issue Blank Screen

clparis
August 23rd, 2008, 08:48 PM
Hi, I am installing from the Live CD onto my laptop. I checked the CD and the memory before installing and it check out. However, after selecting install all I am getting is a blank screen. The cd drive is working but the fan is going crazy and the keyboard is getting hot. Can I shut down and try again or should I keep it going?

tangibleorange
August 23rd, 2008, 08:50 PM
Hi, I am installing from the Live CD onto my laptop. I checked the CD and the memory before installing and it check out. However, after selecting install all I am getting is a blank screen. The cd drive is working but the fan is going crazy and the keyboard is getting hot. Can I shut down and try again or should I keep it going?

when you say 'blank screen', what do you mean? is there anything on the desktop? what stage of the install were you at? (have you just clicked or are you on the actual installing bit (answered all the questions))

clparis
August 23rd, 2008, 08:53 PM
I mean blank no curser, no words, nothing. I selected install, the flash screen came up and then blank. If it wasn't for the drive and the fan I would think it was turned off.

tangibleorange
August 23rd, 2008, 09:02 PM
I mean blank no curser, no words, nothing. I selected install, the flash screen came up and then blank. If it wasn't for the drive and the fan I would think it was turned off.

well if you haven't started to mess with your drives it should be safe just to turn off. try installing from the alternate CD, or try adding acpi=off to your boot options (press f6 on the first menu when booting and add acpi=off to the end of the line that appears).

clparis
August 23rd, 2008, 09:12 PM
well if you haven't started to mess with your drives it should be safe just to turn off. try installing from the alternate CD, or try adding acpi=off to your boot options (press f6 on the first menu when booting and add acpi=off to the end of the line that appears).

I tried the acpi=off and that gets me a blank screen with a flashing cursor after the flash screen, so, I guess I will download it again and make another cd. Thanks for the help.

tangibleorange
August 23rd, 2008, 09:18 PM
I tried the acpi=off and that gets me a blank screen with a flashing cursor after the flash screen, so, I guess I will download it again and make another cd. Thanks for the help.

ok. make sure to select the Alternate CD (scroll down from the link below). it uses a text-based installer but is very easy to understand. i myself have to install using the alternate CD. i've included a link to the page with the ISO:

http://releases.ubuntu.com/hardy/

good luck! remember to check the disc before using it to install!

Tofiy
August 24th, 2008, 02:03 AM
My Laptop does the same exact thing. I start to install UBUNTU and then the screen with UBUNTU main wallpaper comes up nothing...my CD spins crazily in my CDROM... and nothing, it doesnt even ask what partition do i want to install it...
Although it installed fine on my PC. The RAm is only 256 my laptop, so i cant boot it up from CD too. Maybe its not isntalling because of RAM?
Im downloading alternate install image now.

Tofiy
August 24th, 2008, 02:05 AM
Found the problem....
Yes i do need to install from alternate CD since it says that Alternate CD "installs on systems with less than about 384MB of RAM" !