PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Other Distros and my system

bgast1
August 23rd, 2008, 07:48 PM
I have 3 hard drives on my system. So far Ubuntu is my main distro, everything seems to work pretty well. That being said I am pretty much of a distro junkie. However, what I have been doing up to this point is installing each distro I try as a fresh install, thus deleting my Ubuntu install. I also have Sun xVM Virtual Box installed and have actually installed Windows XP, Ubuntu Gutsy, and attempted Arch but didn't get very far with it. Each as a seperate install on Virtual Box and hopefully deleting each install. (I don't understand too much about how to work with the Virtual Machine yet) I have been told that the Virtual Machine is the way to go if you want to play with different distros. But with a second hard drive hardly doing anything but storing some files that I could easily transfer to my 3rd hard drive, wouldn't that be the way to go? What would GRUB do? I don't really know much about working with GRUB either.

I want to take a look at Slackware. I've heard that it is very hard, but I have a desire to learn as much about Linux as I can. In fact I think I would even like to try Gentoo.

Mods: If you feel that you should move this fine, but I really don't know much about Linux other than how to install it and work with it through the Gui, and the command line stuff that you all have helped me out with.

bpowell2005
August 23rd, 2008, 08:11 PM
I think using Virtual Machine is the way to go...if you try installing various distros on the second hard drive, that'll work, but each installation will want to write / change the Grub file, and sooner or later, that could cause a problem. Plus, with the VM, you don't need to reboot to get back to your Ubuntu...just close the VM. I've been running various linux distros on a VM on XP and I love it. I usually just minimize the VM window, and then RDP into the distro from another computer to play around.

bobnutfield
August 23rd, 2008, 08:34 PM
I can HIGHLY recommend Slackware. It is not hard, it just doesn't hold your hand. I know I will get conflicting replies, but Slackware in my opinion is the most stable and Unix like distro there is. It is the oldest distro still being supported. You can install it easily on your second drive, Grub will handle it all but you will have to edit it yourself. I have Ubuntu, Slackware and Puppy all installed on my laptop.

But for just trying out distros and examining them, the recommendation about Virtual machines is your best bet. But if you want a distro you will fall in love with and learn linux the best, by all means install Slackware.