PDA

View Full Version : DVD Authoring/Burning/Codec Conversion Guides for Linux

Changturkey
August 23rd, 2008, 06:40 PM
Anyone know of Linux specific burning guides for burning a basic DVD to play on your DVD player? I have a bunch of .VOB files. In relation, I would also like to ask is .VOB the only kind of file that can be burned to a DVD to be played on a regular DVD player?

mips
August 23rd, 2008, 07:02 PM
I would also like to ask is .VOB the only kind of file that can be burned to a DVD to be played on a regular DVD player?

Many DVD players these days support DivX so you can just create a normal data dvd with the files on it and the player should play them if it supports DivX

ghindo
August 23rd, 2008, 07:31 PM
Anyone know of Linux specific burning guides for burning a basic DVD to play on your DVD player? I have a bunch of .VOB files. In relation, I would also like to ask is .VOB the only kind of file that can be burned to a DVD to be played on a regular DVD player?I actually have the exact same question. The Wikipedia article on .Vob says that it can be "easily done" with software like K3b, but I'm still unsure :(

Changturkey
August 24th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Yeah I am just trying to find a guide with screen shots hopefully. I am not sure my parent's DVD supports Divx so that's why I am concerned about changing video formats in to what I believe is MPEG-2? AVI? Ugh :confused:.

tbroderick
August 24th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Yeah I am just trying to find a guide with screen shots hopefully. I am not sure my parent's DVD supports Divx so that's why I am concerned about changing video formats in to what I believe is MPEG-2? AVI? Ugh :confused:.

Take a look at devede.

http://www.rastersoft.com/programas/devede.html

It will make a playable dvd or cd out of any format supported by mplayer. I've used it to convert an avi to iso and then burned the iso using growisofs.

growisofs -dvd-compat -Z <device>=dvd.iso

stinger30au
August 24th, 2008, 01:05 AM
hope this helps

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=781429