View Full Version : [all variants] Absolute Pre-Beginner Questions

August 23rd, 2008, 04:45 PM
Hello over there!!
I've just installed eee-xubuntu on my EeePc 701, and now I'm taking a look around so I've got few questions for you all.
First of all, I wanna know what's the differesces between Ubuntu and Xubuntu, Ubuntu and Kubuntu or Edubuntu and so on;
Then, which one is best to be used on my EeePc (eee-ubuntu, eee-xubuntu or eee-kubuntu)? Or is out there a better eee-version to use?; Which one is best to be used on my Desktop Pc, knowing that I need a good wi-fi suite and I will use linux just to surf the net??;
Finally, how can I boot from cd using eeeXubuntu? From Xandros I had to keep Esc pushed down wile rebooting to show a menu, but it didn't work with eeexubuntu wile trying to install eeeubuntu...

One more question about a packages issue I experienced wile using XandrOS:
I noticed it's not so easy to find .deb packages around the net, coz most of are written in a different extension (".idontrememberwhatbutwasntdeb"), and I think it's kinda weird 'cause Debian-derivate linux versions are the most used around the net... Could you give me a little explaination??

One very last more:
Could you give me some kind of link to a page with shell's command list and explaination? I'm very very interested of it.

Thank you guys, I know that you will be very useful to me and I'm sure I will need your help so many times...
Well, I hope someone to answer soon so I'll can make a Ubuntu/xubuntu/kubuntu full-immersion :P

[sorry about my english but I'm not a native speaker ;)]

August 23rd, 2008, 04:48 PM
ubuntu is running gnome window manager xubuntu is running xfce window manager kubuntu is running kde and edubuntu is like educational ubuntu. funny thing is that apt-get actually has where you can install all the programs.

August 23rd, 2008, 04:50 PM
http://www.ss64.com/bash/ here is a few of the basic ones to get you started.

August 23rd, 2008, 04:52 PM
If you want to learn more about shell, I found this website pretty helpful: http://www.linuxcommand.org/learning_the_shell.php

August 23rd, 2008, 05:07 PM
I found a few tips here when I needed it, I hope that it helps...

August 23rd, 2008, 05:18 PM
I noticed it's not so easy to find .deb packages around the net
There are tons of .deb packages in the package manger. And as you learn to add more repositories to your package manger your head will start spinning from all the offerings.

August 24th, 2008, 11:50 AM
[hell yeah!! i'm kinda NOOB :(]