View Full Version : [ubuntu] Firefox, check4change and sound

August 23rd, 2008, 12:06 PM

I use Firefox 3 from Ubuntu repositories and check4change plugin from the official add-ons site. By the way, it's extremely useful extension if you don't want to waste your time refreshing and checking for changes.

Ad rem... It seems that "Play sound" option (RMB -> Check4Change -> Custom) is not working correctly. It does play a sound, but it's just a crackling noise. I've searched plugins directory and found the sound file (change.wav), played it in Totem and it went fine.

I thought it might be general .wav playing issue in Firefox, but when I tried to play .wav, it used Totem media plugin or something and played it with no noise.

I changed plugin's config and wrote "change.mp3" instead of "change.wav" and copied mp3 file there. It was even worse: there was no sound at all. I switched back to .wav and I keep on getting the same noise.

What do you think may be causing this?

August 23rd, 2008, 06:34 PM

September 8th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Bump! I don't have any idea how to solve it.

September 14th, 2008, 07:17 PM
I have exactly the same problem and I really need to find a solution.
Please, I'm sure there must be someone who could help us

Okay, I found a solution. Actually it's pretty simple - the wave file provided with this extension is somehow incompatible with it. All you have to do to make things work is to use another wave file - e.g. convert some .mp3 file to .wav and replace the change.wav with your file and it works straight away.