PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Windows 7

BGFG
August 23rd, 2008, 07:15 AM
A BIG IF!
If windows 7 adopted a modular format and you could not edit the code, but still choose exactly what parts of the os were installed, with a smart enough installer that would let you know the ramifications of your actions and would resolve system dependancies, you know:

'if you leave out THIS then THIS won't be installed'
'if you want THIS then THIS must be installed'

And if it was stable,Would you use it ?

schauerlich
August 23rd, 2008, 07:17 AM
If it did the job better than anything else and it wasn't a pain to set up.

Also, it'd have to be free or cheap enough for it to be worth it.

Somehow I don't see that happening.

BGFG
August 23rd, 2008, 07:22 AM
Me neither, but you have to admit. Such a ms system is the stuff that world domination is made of. Power uses would be able to slim down a system to bare essentials and still have universal hardware compatibility.
If they could just get the money out of their eyes they'd see that.

quinnten83
August 23rd, 2008, 07:23 AM
I'd have to support it eventually anyway....

BGFG
August 23rd, 2008, 07:24 AM
I'd have to support it eventually anyway....

My condolences....

Sephoroth
August 23rd, 2008, 07:26 AM
Heh, I'd probably be forced to use it sooner or later so yes. Now the real question is would I enjoy using it....

Phases
August 23rd, 2008, 07:37 AM
Yeah, I'll try it.

1) Out of curiosity
2) Like someone else had posted, I'll have to support it one day anyway.

BGFG
August 23rd, 2008, 07:44 AM
It's a big if really. We all know touch screen tech is going to be in there with no hardware support. then work after the first service pack.

barbedsaber
August 23rd, 2008, 07:50 AM
according to the poll, 50%voted yes, 10%voted no and 50%voted out of curiousity
hang on a sec...:confused:

Green is awesome!

BGFG
August 23rd, 2008, 07:54 AM
i made it a multiple choice poll. how wierd.

Hope it's not some crap i did :)

ghindo
August 23rd, 2008, 07:54 AM
Hey, DirectX 11 seems like a pretty compelling reason :)

doorknob60
August 23rd, 2008, 08:32 AM
I'd try it out of curiosity. I'm using XP right now, and if I had Vista for free, I'd probably use that (if I had a bigger HD), as long as it's better than last time I used it (let's just say that's how I came to know Ubuntu :lolflag: That was right after it came out though). I'd try it of course, and if I didn't like it, I'd uninstall it :) I wouldn't pay a dime for it though :-P

rudihawk
August 23rd, 2008, 09:42 AM
Well I would give it a try, I mean not point in bashing something or writing it before I've used it myself.

fedex1993
August 23rd, 2008, 10:10 AM
yes just because i can see how bad of resources it takes up and how bad it is going to suckzor.

Heinzelotto
August 23rd, 2008, 10:14 AM
why would I? I would instead use Linux and have all that and more :)

Skorzen
August 23rd, 2008, 10:32 AM
Non-free software? I avoid that.

gn2
August 23rd, 2008, 10:38 AM
If it was built from scratch abandoning all previous areas of security weakness, installed to no more than 5gb, ran as fast as Linux on older hardware, was immune from viruses and malware, didn't require constant maintenance and was free and open source I would seriously consider it.

But back on planet earth, no.

Lord DarkPat
August 23rd, 2008, 11:12 AM
MS is making Windows 7 because they realise that Vista is a big time fail

Delever
August 23rd, 2008, 01:40 PM
I will try first beta.

sagarhshah
August 23rd, 2008, 01:46 PM
I would have to support it eventually
so yes I would try it out!!

jimi_hendrix
August 23rd, 2008, 02:58 PM
i would try it if i got a new computer when it comes out...then i would partition and install ubuntu like i did with my current computer

Sycron
August 23rd, 2008, 03:03 PM
Only if could round those nasty effects on my eeepc 630Mhz, intel 915GMA (64Mb), and NO more exploits... Also I would like to customize it like I want, but i think it's not possible so... IF vista need 15GB at least, windows 7 will need 30GB ? and without any preinstaled software... :|

And it would cost like a good computer to play with compiz...

JP1990
August 23rd, 2008, 03:08 PM
i like to try every operating system the best operating system i have ever used is my mac with osx tiger on it i have only just started to learn linux but it looks very good only thing i would say was wrong with linux was the user friendliness im not a microsoft hater but there operating system is poo they have spent too much time making it good to look at and ease of use but thats all good if you have a good back bone to start with if we had a linux based operatting system with the ease of use as windows but with the security of linux and the open source would be amazing i think.

SuperSonic4
August 23rd, 2008, 03:14 PM
I'd give it a go, I can always dual boot with kubuntu anyway

hessiess
August 23rd, 2008, 03:23 PM
only if:

thay dump the 'dos' style filesystem for something more Linux like.
make it so it can boot to a terminal, and use whatever window manager you want.
strip out all the DRM
add a proper permitions system

Sycron
August 23rd, 2008, 05:03 PM
only if:

thay dump the 'dos' style filesystem for something more Linux like.
make it so it can boot to a terminal, and use whatever window manager you want.
strip out all the DRM
add a proper permitions system

Good points.

BGFG
August 26th, 2008, 05:07 AM
Thanks for all the replys guys :) I guess i'd try it. but with where Ubuntu and Arch would be by that time there would'nt be any need to stay :)
Win7 will probably put all cutting edge tech come '10 to the test and still crash on us.
The next poll should be : do you think touch screen tech will work before or after the first service pack ?
how much do you think THOSE laptops will cost ? ouch.
Oh, and sorry for blaspheming.

RedPandaFox
August 26th, 2008, 05:33 AM
Oh I wish some people would quit the Windows bashing!
(not directed at anyone in particular, simply I am just annoyed at people who do)

Sure, I DID hate windows at some point, but then I realised it wasn't that bad, in fact the people bashing it made me realise how over dramatic they were being and Linux would be what it was today without the competition from MS.

I DO get frustrated with Windows, (Hell I spent 3 hours today on the phone to tech support trying to fix up user permissions which takes one command to do on Ubuntu) but still, it still has many uses.

Of course I'm going to use it, and I'm also going to keep my Vista duel boot as it works for me.

Giant Speck
August 26th, 2008, 05:45 AM
I'm definitely trying it, regardless of what Microsoft is or is not promising with the new operating system.

I'm hoping that Windows 7 will end up being to Windows Vista as XP was to Millennium Edition.

BGFG
August 26th, 2008, 05:52 AM
Oh I wish some people would quit the Windows bashing!
(not directed at anyone in particular, simply I am just annoyed at people who do)

Sure, I DID hate windows at some point, but then I realised it wasn't that bad, in fact the people bashing it made me realise how over dramatic they were being and Linux would be what it was today without the competition from MS.

I DO get frustrated with Windows, (Hell I spent 3 hours today on the phone to tech support trying to fix up user permissions which takes one command to do on Ubuntu) but still, it still has many uses.

Of course I'm going to use it, and I'm also going to keep my Vista duel boot as it works for me.

Hey now i was just joking :p
I still use xpsp3 in VB because i can't get my msi starcam to work in ubuntu. Sounds like someone else pissed you off and now i'm the unsuspecting pillow....
but seriously i don't bash. i just know better now.

RedPandaFox
August 26th, 2008, 05:54 AM
Hey now i was just joking :p
I still use xpsp3 in VB because i can't get my msi starcam to work in ubuntu. Sounds like someone else pissed you off and now i'm the unsuspecting pillow....
but seriously i don't bash. i just know better now.

It wasn't you I was referring to. Its mainly the kinda people who keep preaching Linux till it turns people off thinking its just for FanBoys

conundrumx
August 26th, 2008, 05:55 AM
A BIG IF!
If windows 7 adopted a modular format and you could not edit the code, but still choose exactly what parts of the os were installed, with a smart enough installer that would let you know the ramifications of your actions and would resolve system dependancies, you know:

'if you leave out THIS then THIS won't be installed'
'if you want THIS then THIS must be installed'

And if it was stable,Would you use it ?

I'll end up using and encountering it no matter what. You can take Windows out of the entire back end, but the users will still cry if they don't have something familiar.

BGFG
August 26th, 2008, 06:01 AM
It's fine, i'm sitting here grinning. But i really wish MS would properly coordinate it's tens of thousands of programmers and stop giving fanboys so much ammo.
From personal experience i can only say that the only impressive thing in vista (to me) was it's indexing/search,built in disk partitioning and the new taskman was kinda cool. everything else was just slow.
But the guy does plug n play with almost anything. so some credit where credit is due.

Northsider
August 26th, 2008, 06:03 AM
I'd try it...I'm not a total MS hater.

oldsoundguy
August 26th, 2008, 06:09 AM
If you are functioning under the delusion that Windows 7 will be a major improvement over Vista, there is gainful employment available for you at Redmond Washington with duties to include acting like a troll on any Linux discussion group you can find.

You can only fix a flat tire so many times .. then it is time to dump it and get a new one.

BGFG
August 26th, 2008, 06:33 AM
if you are functioning under the delusion that windows 7 will be a major improvement over vista, there is gainful employment available for you at redmond washington with duties to include acting like a troll on any linux discussion group you can find.

You can only fix a flat tire so many times .. Then it is time to dump it and get a new one.

lol :)

Saint Angeles
August 26th, 2008, 07:03 AM
uhhh i use ubuntu...

why the hell would i want to try anything else?

i mean like, come on!

toupeiro
August 26th, 2008, 09:40 AM
There seems to be a missing piece to this thread, and that is Microsoft's intention to sell activation of these modules. The idea is to lessen the cost of the core OS, but in the process it also gives you a lesser functional core OS... I have 0% interest in having to "pay to play" meaning: if I want to multi-task between several multi-threaded apps across 30 different windows, I don't EVER want to require an additional license to do so. If I buy a 400 dollar video card, I don't think it right that I should have to pay for Microsofts proprietary middleware to play 3rd party software on a proprietary OS. I paid for my Computer, My OS, My gaming card, and my Game. Now I have to pay more because its a game that fully utilizes all the hardware I bought and I have to buy all of Microsoft's "OS modules" to allow its middleware they require game developers to code for in order to utilize my investment?!??! FAIL! Thats not modular, thats greedy.

I hate middleware, and I hate the idea of modular for the sake of greed. Its the same line of thinking that the guy who created cubicles had, and I hate cubicles, and so did the guy that created them (http://money.cnn.com/2006/03/09/magazines/fortune/cubicle_howiwork_fortune/index.htm)...

You want to make it modular to make it more efficient, great. Lets face it, when it comes to Microsoft, they will never "get" the idea of a free OS. If I still had any personal dependency or interest in continuing to run Microsoft Operating Systems, I would be willing to pay a higher premium for a modular version of their OS that I could control what pieces I want installed and don't want, but that premium must buy me the capacity of a full blown workstation class OS at any point in time or its absolutely worthless.

Honestly, I don't even see where the value comes in for business users either. Microsoft licensing is HELL ENOUGH without adding this to the heap.

Sycron
August 26th, 2008, 12:58 PM
There seems to be a missing piece to this thread, and that is Microsoft's intention to sell activation of these modules. The idea is to lessen the cost of the core OS, but in the process it also gives you a lesser functional core OS... I have 0% interest in having to "pay to play" meaning: if I want to multi-task between several multi-threaded apps across 30 different windows, I don't EVER want to require an additional license to do so. If I buy a 400 dollar video card, I don't think it right that I should have to pay for Microsofts proprietary middleware to play 3rd party software on a proprietary OS. I paid for my Computer, My OS, My gaming card, and my Game. Now I have to pay more because its a game that fully utilizes all the hardware I bought and I have to buy all of Microsoft's "OS modules" to allow its middleware they require game developers to code for in order to utilize my investment?!??! FAIL! Thats not modular, thats greedy.

I hate middleware, and I hate the idea of modular for the sake of greed. Its the same line of thinking that the guy who created cubicles had, and I hate cubicles, and so did the guy that created them (http://money.cnn.com/2006/03/09/magazines/fortune/cubicle_howiwork_fortune/index.htm)...

You want to make it modular to make it more efficient, great. Lets face it, when it comes to Microsoft, they will never "get" the idea of a free OS. If I still had any personal dependency or interest in continuing to run Microsoft Operating Systems, I would be willing to pay a higher premium for a modular version of their OS that I could control what pieces I want installed and don't want, but that premium must buy me the capacity of a full blown workstation class OS at any point in time or its absolutely worthless.

Honestly, I don't even see where the value comes in for business users either. Microsoft licensing is HELL ENOUGH without adding this to the heap.

True indeed.

rokytnji
August 26th, 2008, 02:35 PM
No, I can't afford the EULA. Don't want to be monitered either.

Canis familiaris
August 26th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Wouldnt spend so much money on something that will not give me much benefit and I dont want to pirate it either.
But if someone gives me a genuine license for free, I'll sure give it a shot.

billgoldberg
August 26th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Anyone even slightly interested in computers will try out the new windows.

Is Win 7 the one build from scratch or will that be Win 8?

geoken
August 26th, 2008, 03:09 PM
.. IF vista need 15GB at least, windows 7 will need 30GB ? and without any preinstaled software... :|

And it would cost like a good computer to play with compiz...

I don't get why people make comments like this. Since when does Windows not come with any software? Here is a short list of rpetty decent software bundled with Vista;

Movie Maker: better and more stable than anything on linux for simple timeline based movies

Windows Mail: Way faster than Evolution, with better calendar and contacts but no Exchange.

WMP 11: On par with Amarok (+ or - depending on who you ask)

Photo Gallery: Beats everything on Linux except Picasa (which is cross platform)

Explorer: Faster than nautilus while eclipsing it feature-wise

Linux isn't ever going to progress if people, out of some irrational hate, convince themselves that Microsoft's software has zero redeeming qualities.

RATM_Owns
August 26th, 2008, 03:22 PM
I chose all the options.

kirsis
August 26th, 2008, 03:42 PM
I would gladly test it out to see whats new, but the next laptop I'm buying is going to have Linux on it, so I'm not sure how exactly I'm gonna get my hands on it. I'm certainly not going to pirate it.

I doubt it'd offer me the same degree of control over my computer as Linux does and it's not ever going to be free, so even if it's a cool OS, I wouldn't stick with it.

toupeiro
August 26th, 2008, 05:32 PM

If you mean by the market influence of Microsoft, then yes, I agree with you.

By my own personal choice on my systems that I built, I haven't even tried out vista, and have no intention to, let alone an OS that becomes a tiered subscription like cable that I have to pay for pieces of it that I want... (and like cable, most of its content being pointless)

Windows will only ever run on my business machines issued to me by my employer. The tighter MS tries to grip their marketshare, the more of my money will slip through their fingers, and I am sure I am not alone. Yes, I am sort of quoting Star Wars. :-)

oh, I am a great deal more than slightly interested in computers. ;)

happysmileman
August 26th, 2008, 05:39 PM
I'd try it, and quite possibly keep it around for games, after all, by then most games probably won't support XP, so it'd be a choice between 7 and Vista... And without knowing anything about 7 I can assume it will be a lot better than Vista :P

drubin
August 26th, 2008, 05:44 PM
I would try it just to see if it was as bad as Vista!

Sycron
August 26th, 2008, 06:22 PM
I don't get why people make comments like this. Since when does Windows not come with any software? Here is a short list of rpetty decent software bundled with Vista;

Movie Maker: better and more stable than anything on linux for simple timeline based movies

Windows Mail: Way faster than Evolution, with better calendar and contacts but no Exchange.

Photo Gallery: Beats everything on Linux except Picasa (which is cross platform)

Linux isn't ever going to progress if people, out of some irrational hate, convince themselves that Microsoft's software has zero redeeming qualities.

Good points but in my opinion explorer is a bit buggy ... enough buggy the get it to trash.

..out of some irrational hate, convince themselves that Microsoft's software has zero redeeming qualities.
I didn't sayd that and I was reffering to Windows XP (i have not mentioned this).

Vista is for me OK, but people around me uses XP , and i don't understand why..it's too OLD... and one more thing all my friends are using PIRATED software SO I DON'T CARE about benefits of microsoft... it's garbage 50% , 15% is genius and 35 % is powered by third-party programs (that you can never be sure that are clean). I'm just trying to help Microsoft (I've heard that they have BIG problems with piracy, so i've choosed linux...)

And who said that explorer is faster than nautilus ? Think about it, Vista uses alot of resources (2GB RAM recommended). With linux and 512MB ram i can have a fully functional linux system (free,open-source) with compiz fusion that work by far better and faster than Vista and other Windows'es.

happysmileman
August 26th, 2008, 06:29 PM

Fair enough, never really used Windows Mail or Photo Gallery, and only used WMP11 (maybe it was 10) and Movie Maker on XP, but those are definitely good apps (until I wanted to put music on my MP3 player, then it fell way behind Amarok in ease of use and speed)...

But

Don't use Nautilus since I'm a KDE user, but if it really is slower and less feature-packed than Explorer it needs to be completely wiped from every distro. I can't imagine Explorer beating ANY other piece of software on any merits, especially not speed.

Agreed, people need to be able to see good features and learn from them just as much as they need to be able to see bad features and learn from them, unfortunately there seems to be the idea that if Microsoft make it, it's inevitably bad. While many of Microsoft's software really is terrible, I feel that sometimes developers don't want to implement features just because they're used by Microsoft, rather than basing their decisions on technical merits

Sycron
August 26th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Fair enough, never really used Windows Mail or Photo Gallery, and only used WMP11 (maybe it was 10) and Movie Maker on XP, but those are definitely good apps (until I wanted to put music on my MP3 player, then it fell way behind Amarok in ease of use and speed)...

I don't used them too... SO i'm gonna pay my bucks for something that i'll never use...

Agreed, people need to be able to see good features and learn from them just as much as they need to be able to see bad features and learn from them, unfortunately there seems to be the idea that if Microsoft make it, it's inevitably bad. While many of Microsoft's software really is terrible, I feel that sometimes developers don't want to implement features just because they're used by Microsoft, rather than basing their decisions on technical merits

I'm just a kid and I can't spend money buying M$ Windows... who cares abou what Microsoft does when they cannot satisfy me,my needs ? I can't install Windows to usb due it's licenses ...

I really hate them cuz they're using "pay to play" idea ... They're hating too open-source so i don't see open-source app's developed by Microsoft...

Who needs Microsoft in a world like i'm living ?

oldsoundguy
August 26th, 2008, 06:49 PM
For those using Widows in any way, just remember that WMP is a TRACKER. It "phones home" every time it is launched and reports everything you watched or listened to in the previous session. If that does not bother you, fine.

Media Player Classic is much better, has a broader codex base, is much smaller in size, and SHUTS UP about what you watch! (and it is FREE).

fiddledd
August 26th, 2008, 06:53 PM
For those using Widows in any way, just remember that WMP is a TRACKER. It "phones home" every time it is launched and reports everything you watched or listened to in the previous session. If that does not bother you, fine.

It doesn't bother me at all because I disable it.

david_lynch
August 26th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Don't care.

Meh. I can't imagine even mild interest in anything from that lot.

geoken
August 26th, 2008, 07:44 PM
And who said that explorer is faster than nautilus ? Think about it, Vista uses alot of resources (2GB RAM recommended). With linux and 512MB ram i can have a fully functional linux system (free,open-source) with compiz fusion that work by far better and faster than Vista and other Windows'es.

I don't need to think about it, I routinely open the same folders in Nautilus and Explorer (and Dolphin and Thunar for that matter). Nautilus is the slowest of the bunch. I'd expect it to be slower than Thunar which is intended to be a quick, lightweight file manager, but Dolphin and explorer both have much more features yet are still faster.

karellen
August 26th, 2008, 08:03 PM
I'm just a kid and I can't spend money buying M$ Windows... who cares abou what Microsoft does when they cannot satisfy me,my needs ? I can't install Windows to usb due it's licenses ...

I really hate them cuz they're using "pay to play" idea ... They're hating too open-source so i don't see open-source app's developed by Microsoft...

Who needs Microsoft in a world like i'm living ?

Windows is a business. every business has the ultimate goal of making money. nobody obliges you to buy the software, whether it's Windows, Photoshop or the latest game. I find stupid to blame a business model just because it's not open source and doesn't give everything for free. there's enough room for both proprietary and foss philosophies...
I know all too well how things are going in our country ;). almost everyone uses pirated versions of every imaginable program and game that's on the market

Chame_Wizard
August 26th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Heck no :lolflag:

zmjjmz
August 26th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Depending on the resource usage, I might torrent it and put it in a VM.

toupeiro
August 27th, 2008, 12:08 AM
Windows is a business. every business has the ultimate goal of making money. nobody obliges you to buy the software, whether it's Windows, Photoshop or the latest game. I find stupid to blame a business model just because it's not open source and doesn't give everything for free. there's enough room for both proprietary and foss philosophies...
I know all too well how things are going in our country ;). almost everyone uses pirated versions of every imaginable program and game that's on the market

Windows is not a business, windows is product, Microsoft is a business that wrote good enough software for the time of their major market development to get the rest of the world Dependant on it. Then did as little as they could to sustain it by innovation. Rather, they bought up, sued, took credit of the innovation of others, or shut out by way of malicious intentional incompatibility their competition. Sadly, thats not an over-exaggeration. Quite possibly, I'm summarizing too much with too little.

As an IT person, I make the choice not to pirate software. Quite frankly, I have too much to lose if I get caught, and FOSS has provided me all the functionality without te ridiculous costs and/or licensing, and I have given back to many projects that I've personally benefitted from using.

And, my problem with their business model is that for having enough room for both as you say there is, their attitude is VERY one-directional... How many Proprietary applications have been ported to a FOSS operating system as opposed to how many times FOSS extends to their OS? They want FOSS to disappear, not because their model or products are better, but because they want complete market control. I made the decision some years back that I wouldn't let their greed be an innovation stopper for me anymore, and more people will realize this in time.

I just wish developers would get it.... Just because I won't spend $300 on a bloated OS or office suite with ridiculous licensing, doesn't mean I wouldn't pay $50 for your game or app if you made it available on an open source OS. There is room for both, I agree, people need to stop trying to kill one with the other.

PurposeOfReason
August 27th, 2008, 12:14 AM
MS is making Windows 7 because they realise that Vista is a big time fail
So is Ubuntu making 8.10 because 8.04 was a failure? Stupid statements get stupid comments.

I game so I'll use it either way.

toupeiro
August 27th, 2008, 12:24 AM
So is Ubuntu making 8.10 because 8.04 was a failure? Stupid statements get stupid comments.

I game so I'll use it either way.

No, they are making windows 7 because its their next-gen OS. they are releasing it WAY ahead of their originally planned schedule and completely rethought their lifecycle because Vista was a failure...

Giant Speck
August 27th, 2008, 02:28 AM
No, they are making windows 7 because its their next-gen OS. they are releasing it WAY ahead of their originally planned schedule and completely rethought their lifecycle because Vista was a failure...

That could backfire. Didn't they do the same thing with Vista?

kool_kat_os
August 27th, 2008, 02:30 AM
probably just another vista?

kool_kat_os
August 27th, 2008, 02:34 AM
OS X won me over Windows....

oldsoundguy
August 27th, 2008, 03:38 AM
Windows 7 is just TALK at present.
I have an acquaintance that is a PAID Beta tester for MS and the only thing he has in hand at present is the program for Windows Mail that is destined for 7.
Hell, they haven't even got Vista Media Center working right yet! (his crashes all the time so he went back to XP Media Center on his home set up) (guy is a video NUT!)
If he is a typical tester, I can see why the system hits the market full of bugs .. his idea of a full computer is about 8 third party programs at the MAX while he is testing.
I keep trying to get him to try Linux, but think he is afraid of losing a paycheck and free software if MS ever found out!

Slug71
August 27th, 2008, 04:02 AM
Well im voting no because Windows 8 is apparently not gonna be far behind 7. I guess they reallised their screw up with Vista.

toupeiro
August 27th, 2008, 05:25 AM
Windows 7 is just TALK at present.
I have an acquaintance that is a PAID Beta tester for MS and the only thing he has in hand at present is the program for Windows Mail that is destined for 7.
Hell, they haven't even got Vista Media Center working right yet! (his crashes all the time so he went back to XP Media Center on his home set up) (guy is a video NUT!)
If he is a typical tester, I can see why the system hits the market full of bugs .. his idea of a full computer is about 8 third party programs at the MAX while he is testing.
I keep trying to get him to try Linux, but think he is afraid of losing a paycheck and free software if MS ever found out!

I work with a contract employee from Microsoft that would argue with you about it being just talk at present. :-) Paid beta tester != a beta tester for everything Microsoft releases, which is a TON of stuff. As a system admin, I may get OS betas, but I wont be on Microsofts short list for the next Visual Studio, not necessarily even MS-Exchange either....

fillintheblanks
August 27th, 2008, 06:26 AM
thanks but no thanks.

Ptero-4
August 29th, 2008, 01:26 AM
No I´m not on this at all.
BTW: I got a friend at college that took the MCSE (now is working as retail tech at the local computer store and have both the MCSE, and M$-MVP certs). She once left her laptop unlocked in the classroom (With me and my "tuxdroid" friends still in the classroom). I went and ghosted ´er HD (30GB) to one of my friends external (80GB) and went to check out what she had there. Long story short among the stuff she had private memos telling pretty much everything from late development of vista up to midori and it basically says that M$ deliberatedlly made Vista a crappy OS, and deliberatedlly caused the "vista capable" fiasco. The reason, they´re planning to drop ******* (YES, They´re burying the whole ´DOZE platform) in favor of Midori. But wait it get better, they´re also planning to dump the PC platform (including Apple branded PC´s) and replace it with a "new" platform (there was no name for it, but it´s gonna be the hardware backbone of their flexgo, pay-to-play stuff), the idea is supossedly to remove local storage and local apps and replace all of that with webapps and web based storage ON THE M$ SERVERS. The local OS in the computer is gonna be midori WHICH IS ENTIRELLY LOADED IN ROM. The computer´s ROM is set to POST, connect to the M$ servers through the ´net, download suscription info, payment info, and finally present the webUI and apps. The computer won´t have a BIOS (Midori POST´s, boots and does the hookup), and won´t have local storage or any way at all to use bootable external storage at all. Pretty much it´s gonna be a dumb terminal and M$ WILL HAVE FULL CONTROL OVER YOUR DATA (they can manipulate it at will or even prevent you from storing anything they decide you won´t store, like a letter talking the truth about M$) AND OVER YOUR SUBSCRIPTION (They can change the fare, add taxes, add/change/remove apps, change the available plans, even move you to any other plan they want). Basically, the pay-to-play won´t be about the OS components, will be about the apps you "rent" from them.
P.D: The best thing of it was that she never found out why we were laughing at the computer lab in from of my lappy.
P.D 2: I´m not defending ´doze. Just pointing out that there´s something coming our way and it´s 10x worse than ´doze.

BGFG
October 27th, 2008, 04:05 PM

Well from more recent news, it would seem that '7' is going to be vista+ and vista will be ...... ? in limbo ?

Anyway by that time our 9.10 will be out and that is much more important news...
OS'es that i am genuinely interested in ? Open Solaris and next years' Knoppix. I'd like to see knoppix in action on a HD.

daniel.hodge
October 27th, 2008, 04:13 PM
I believe that operating systems are tools. Some are obviously better than others. If you can't do it in windows, you can probably do it on mac. If you can't do it on mac, then linux will most always work. I have all three; vista home premium, mac os x tiger, and ubuntu 8.04. I rarely use the windows side, but all my writing, dnd planning, and some music projects are on the mac. Ubuntu and mac are my favorite tools to use. Both tend to work much better than windows, which I only really use for certain games or apps that won't run on mac or linux.

rzrgenesys187
October 27th, 2008, 04:21 PM
I imagine I will end up using it at some point, most likely at a job, but it won't go on my home computer unless I buy a gaming rig. I really don't have much against Microsoft except that Linux runs better for me and is cheaper

igknighted
October 27th, 2008, 05:20 PM
This sounds an awful lot like Windows Server 2008.

clanky
October 27th, 2008, 05:24 PM
I need to run windows because I use AutoCAD and Autodesk don't look likely to release a linux version at any point in the near or even distant future, so I will probably use windows 7 at some point no matter what.

I wouldn't rush out and upgrade to it though, but if I am buying anew PC I would probably go for one with windows 7 over vista.

yavez
October 27th, 2008, 08:48 PM
No thanks. Vista is the last MS operating system I'll use, and I don't even use that any more. Linux and Ubuntu fit all my computing needs perfectly and with little fuss, I can't see the point of going back to the bad old days of proprietry this and DRM that, which Windows 7 is bound to have a lot of.