View Full Version : [ubuntu] Please help with ubuntu installation

opaquemafia
August 23rd, 2008, 06:34 AM
I have been trying to get Ubuntu installed on my working dell cpx laptop

it has a

p3
30gig hd
256 ram

I burned my own live cd and i cant get it to install all the way... after answering all the questions it will beginning installing the system and it will fly through everything else but once it hits 15% it does nothing it just sits there... any help please

Shazaam
August 23rd, 2008, 06:45 AM
You might want to try the Alternate Install Ubuntu cd from one of the mirrors here...
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors

opaquemafia
August 23rd, 2008, 07:05 AM
You might want to try the Alternate Install Ubuntu cd from one of the mirrors here...
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors

yeah i am currently downloading it right now... imma cross my fingers and hope it works because xp is already off my lappy and if i have to install anything i want it to be ubuntu

Shazaam
August 23rd, 2008, 07:46 AM
If you find that Ubuntu runs a little slow for you try out Xubuntu. It is lighter on resources which is great for older machines.

opaquemafia
August 23rd, 2008, 07:49 AM
If you find that Ubuntu runs a little slow for you try out Xubuntu. It is lighter on resources which is great for older machines.

that text based disk is working wonders... it is installing just fine...

if you happen to have the time would you mind hitting me up on aim i just wanna figure out the driver situation for the wireless card and for the lan card

omfgitsashark

manishtech
August 23rd, 2008, 09:32 AM
that text based disk is working wonders... it is installing just fine...

if you happen to have the time would you mind hitting me up on aim i just wanna figure out the driver situation for the wireless card and for the lan card

omfgitsashark
LAN Cards are supported out of box.

Can you tell your wireless chipset? Broadcom, atheros or Intel?
Intel ones have their drivers inbuilt as I have (iwl3945). Broadcom and atheros required ndiswrapper

opaquemafia
August 23rd, 2008, 09:38 AM
LAN Cards are supported out of box.

Can you tell your wireless chipset? Broadcom, atheros or Intel?
Intel ones have their drivers inbuilt as I have (iwl3945). Broadcom and atheros required ndiswrapper

the wireless card that i have is a

d-link air
IEEE 802.11b wireless lan adaptor
dwl-650

also what about activesynce drivers for a windows 6.1 phone

all i gotta say is holy crap i am loving ubuntu right now... gunna be fun rocking this thing at school

opaquemafia
August 23rd, 2008, 10:09 AM
i was able to figure out the drivers... i just want to thank every who helped me get this going i am in love thats all i gota say

manishtech
August 23rd, 2008, 10:14 AM
i was able to figure out the drivers... i just want to thank every who helped me get this going i am in love thats all i gota say
Type this command in terminal and post here what you get

lspci | grep -i network

opaquemafia
August 23rd, 2008, 07:02 PM
Type this command in terminal and post here what you get

lspci | grep -i network

im not home right but i will check it as soon as i can