PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] [SOLVED] Questions about card readers.

rbprogrammer
August 23rd, 2008, 04:05 AM
I have a microSD card for my phone, and what I want to do is instead of sending each image on my phone to my email address which will cost me more money than it is worth for each image, I want to buy a cheap card reader.

Basically I have two questions:

How do card readers work?
Will I be able to get it to work out-of-the-box in Ubuntu?

As a computer engineering student at the university, the logical answer to the first question is it will work like an external drive connected via USB. But I have never used one and not sure really how they work.

Then after that question is answered, how will I be able to use it in Ubuntu? I mean is it just plug-n-play? Or is there a program that will read the card reader in the repositories? Can it all be automated?

Most likely if I buy one it will be from http://www.newegg.com/ and almost definitely would be an external one. I don't think I have extra connections on my motherboard for an internal one (although that would of been nice)

Any information about this is greatly appreciated.

b.jumbo
August 23rd, 2008, 05:11 AM
i recommend getting a simple, small and cheap card reader that plugs into your usb port. do a search for "card reader microsd" at newegg.com and you'll get plenty of options.

it's what i use to transfer photos from my camera sd card to my laptop. you put your card into the reader, the reader into your usb socket and up it comes like any thumb drive for you to browse!

hope that helps!

malspa
August 23rd, 2008, 05:27 AM
Yeah, USB card readers mostly work great in Linux, you just plug 'em in and open with your file browser. Depending on the distro I think you usually have to unmount or "safely remove" when you're finished.

lytecyde
August 23rd, 2008, 12:41 PM
I have bought a Codegen internal card reader. external card reader worked fine. There is a problem with the new one however and it does not come up, I added the tifm stuff and modprobed them as well, then restarted, no fun, no connection.
I then upgraded the system to get the latest kernel, while the upgrade ran I saw the new mem icon and it was working, alas the system went to shutdown for some reason possibly due to overheating or hdd problem. That got fixed but still no MC support.

Sucked to know I tested the device on windows and that gave an instant recognition on first load.

rbprogrammer
August 24th, 2008, 12:53 AM
Well Thank-you, I guess they work just as I suspected but I just wanted to confirm it.

Yeah, chances are I will get a small cheap external one from newegg. An internal one would be nice, but that wouldn't help moving images to my macbook.