PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Screen Goes Black During Ubuntu Install

Canto39
August 23rd, 2008, 03:08 AM
Hi, I have a Compaq Presario V2403NR Laptop its about 2 & a half years old, and I recently tried to do a Clean Install of XP but after i got to the part of the install where i had to erase my hard drive (including Windows) it went to the formatting part and stopped at 8% and my computer shut off and did so everytime i tried. So now i dont have an OS and now i wanted to install Linux, so i downloaded and burned the Ubuntu 8.04 install disc and it loaded up fine on my laptop, i choose Install, and it goes to the Ubuntu load screen and when its done loading it goes to a black screen and a message comes up at the top with something about a firmware error and i need to download something but it goes away too fast for me to read, when it goes away the screen just stays black and doesnt do anything after that, i waited about 20 mins and it was still black so i turned off the computer. Does anyone know what the problem is and how i can fix it? Thanks in advance.

cariboo
August 23rd, 2008, 03:30 AM
I would check your hardware to see if there is a problem with it. Run memtest from the livecd. Go to your hardrives manufacturers web site and download their diagnostic tools. There is something wrong with yout laptop, get it repaired before trying to install an operating system.

Jim