PDA

View Full Version : Doubts in C

7raTEYdCql
August 23rd, 2008, 02:25 AM
I have a few doubts n C. If someone can help please

1)How do i compile a program in C when i use the #define command at the beginning. I get an error message when i compile it the normal way. Is there any option that needs to be added.

Can someone give me a list of all the options that can be added when different aspects of C are used. In the sense, there doesn't seem to be a header file by the name <conio.h>???

2) Here we are thought that integer takes in 2 bytes of memory. I am shocked that when i made an array of integers each integer seemed to have taken in 4 memory addresses. Is the definition of an integer different in gcc from that of ANSI C.

One more thing. According to ANSI C we must declare all variables<local> at the beginning of a function. But it seems that we can declare the variables any where in the function just before use. Is gcc a c++ compiler.

3)In the concept of pointers i seem to be a little confused. Actually haven't understood the concept at all. Now when i point a variable to a array, the pointer will store the base memory address of the array, say a[0] for eg. Now if that is the case then what is the need to define a data-type for a pointer. If the amount of memory to be stored is the same(i.e. it has to anyway store only the base address) then what difference will it make when a pointer is assigned a char/int/float data-type. This doubt will be applicable to variables which are not arrays as well.

pmasiar
August 23rd, 2008, 02:53 AM
Seems like you have no previous programming experience?

Maybe is not too late for you to switch to Python, to avoid thinking about half of those problems? Check sticky FAQ for advice for beginners and poll.

If not, enjoy your C!

LaRoza
August 23rd, 2008, 02:53 AM
1)How do i compile a program in C when i use the #define command at the beginning. I get an error message when i compile it the normal way. Is there any option that needs to be added.

Can someone give me a list of all the options that can be added when different aspects of C are used. In the sense, there doesn't seem to be a header file by the name <conio.h>???

I don't understand 1.

conio.h is not a standard header. See the C library references in my wiki under C.

2) Here we are thought that integer takes in 2 bytes of memory. I am shocked that when i made an array of integers each integer seemed to have taken in 4 memory addresses. Is the definition of an integer different in gcc from that of ANSI C.

Don't be shocked ;) http://home.att.net/~jackklein/c/inttypes.html#int

One more thing. According to ANSI C we must declare all variables<local> at the beginning of a function. But it seems that we can declare the variables any where in the function just before use. Is gcc a c++ compiler.

What version of C ;) gcc is a bunch of compilers, hence: GNU Compiler Collection.

Remember, C has changed with each standard, and C89 and C99 are commonly used.

LaRoza
August 23rd, 2008, 02:54 AM
Seems like you have no previous programming experience?

Maybe is not too late for you to switch to Python, to avoid thinking about half of those problems? Check sticky FAQ for advice for beginners and poll.

If not, enjoy your C!

Already tried to recommend that, but he is learning it in school.

(I wonder why all the Indian schools use C for their intros? At least, all the ones that I have seen. They all ask about conio.h as well)

yabbadabbadont
August 23rd, 2008, 03:07 AM
conio.h ... ah the DOS/Win memories. Uh oh... make them stop! :lol:

ghostdog74
August 23rd, 2008, 03:21 AM
(I wonder why all the Indian schools use C for their intros? At least, all the ones that I have seen. They all ask about conio.h as well)

maybe you should stop wondering :). C is perfectly suitable as a study tool for basic programming.

dwhitney67
August 23rd, 2008, 04:17 AM
Already tried to recommend that, but he is learning it in school.

Perhaps because the educators are probably are trying to prepare their students to assume job roles as embedded s/w developers? I don't see python being relevant in that particular domain.

xeth_delta
August 23rd, 2008, 04:25 AM

I don't mean to be too picky and I'm sure it's just semantycs right now, but #define is not a command. It's just a definition.

slavik
August 23rd, 2008, 04:49 AM
I don't mean to be too picky and I'm sure it's just semantycs right now, but #define is not a command. It's just a definition.
you mean macro. :-p

xeth_delta
August 23rd, 2008, 04:54 AM
you mean macro. :-p

yeah, fair enough. :p

pmasiar
August 23rd, 2008, 06:19 AM
C is perfectly suitable as a study tool for basic programming.

Yes, but as OP experience shows, as second language, not the first.

ghostdog74
August 23rd, 2008, 06:34 AM
Yes, but as OP experience shows, as second language, not the first.

that reply was for Laroza's response on how he wondered why the schools use C for their intro. We are not going to go through this again are we?

Nemooo
August 23rd, 2008, 06:36 PM
I have a few doubts n C. If someone can help please

What error message?

You can declare variables anywhere in a function, as long as it's done before it's used. Just as you say.

And yes GCC can compile C++ code.

3)In the concept of pointers i seem to be a little confused. Actually haven't understood the concept at all. Now when i point a variable to a array, the pointer will store the base memory address of the array, say a[0] for eg. Now if that is the case then what is the need to define a data-type for a pointer. If the amount of memory to be stored is the same(i.e. it has to anyway store only the base address) then what difference will it make when a pointer is assigned a char/int/float data-type. This doubt will be applicable to variables which are not arrays as well.

Pointers seem confusing at first. Re-read the text concerning them in your book and look around for tutorials (http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial/c/lesson6.html - very basic). You should also use them in small programs to test how they're used and how they work.