PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] HT Omega Striker

epanic
August 23rd, 2008, 02:04 AM
I recently installed an HT Omega Striker sound card, but I can't figure out how to get the sound to work appropriately. Although it plays, the quality is awful. I'm dual booting with Windows XP, and it sounds great on there, but I'd like to mainly use Linux.

HT Omega gave me what they said was their linux driver, but it's a .c file and they didn't give me any instructions.

linux_tech
August 23rd, 2008, 04:40 AM
Open a file browser and go to the source code's directory, then right-click and choose "Open in Terminal". Then try ./configure

./configure

make

sudo make install

The source code usually has a configure script. If it doesn't, then check the INSTALL or readme file that comes with the program.

go_beep_yourself
September 28th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Did you ever get the card working? I was thinking about buying that one. Where exactly did you get the .c file? Was it only one file, and why is Linux not listed under supported here http://www.htomega.com/striker.html if you got that driver source code from the Ht Omega company?

mizunoX
November 11th, 2008, 01:57 AM
Any more updates?

It's working out of the box with Intrepid, but I agree that it doesn't sound go great.

Wondering if there is a better way.

elitenoobboy
February 19th, 2009, 07:17 AM
From their customer support:

Hello Sir.

There is a linux driver for Striker7.1
Linux driver is created by OSS.
And it does not support DDL, dts or other cmedia sound effect modes.
The driver performance level is just playing sound.

Therefore, we provide Linux driver to user who needs as his requirement is
met
You can download the drivers below;
http://www.htomega.com/filedown/cmpci-2.6.15-oss.rar

And you can check ALSA page.
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Module-cmipci

And Striker driver will be installed automatically when you install SUSE.

Thanks.
Sincerely,
HT OMEGA -Tech Support.

If any of you happen to be able to get surround out using digital output, reply and mention it.

Yodu
April 1st, 2009, 10:59 PM
bump.

Can't seem to get digital out working with this card, and I am at a loss as to how to install the driver mentioned above (it is simply a .c file... no install readme or configure file included)

FWIW, openSUSE does have this driver already installed, but I can't get digital to work there either.

elitenoobboy
April 2nd, 2009, 07:18 PM
bump.

Can't seem to get digital out working with this card, and I am at a loss as to how to install the driver mentioned above (it is simply a .c file... no install readme or configure file included)

FWIW, openSUSE does have this driver already installed, but I can't get digital to work there either.

Have you tried the standard way of getting digital output to work?: Installing gnome-alsamixer from synaptic and then using that to mess around with the iec958 output settings?

Yodu
May 7th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Can someone explain the above process to me?

westofariver
June 24th, 2009, 06:44 PM
I am running 9.04 and can't get my HT Omega Striker to put out any sound at all. I have searched all over and can't seem to find the fix. I downloaded and unzipped the file listed above but I am unsure on what do to with the text file. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Temüjin
June 25th, 2009, 01:48 AM
Linux driver is created by OSS.
See: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OpenSound

elitenoobboy
June 25th, 2009, 02:56 AM
I am running 9.04 and can't get my HT Omega Striker to put out any sound at all. I have searched all over and can't seem to find the fix. I downloaded and unzipped the file listed above but I am unsure on what do to with the text file. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Are you using digital output or analogue?

westofariver
June 27th, 2009, 03:56 AM
Analog. It appears that both the on board audio devices (not being used) and my sound card's chipset (C-Media CMI8770) but not the sound card as a whole device. Any ideas on what to do?

elitenoobboy
June 29th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Analog. It appears that both the on board audio devices (not being used) and my sound card's chipset (C-Media CMI8770) but not the sound card as a whole device. Any ideas on what to do?

Assuming you already tried manually selecting which sound device to use in system > preferences > sound, try disabling the onboard sound in your bios so ubuntu just won't see it and bother to default it instead of the card add on.

doriard
July 14th, 2009, 08:59 PM
I can't get the cmpci-2.6.15-oss.c file to build. How do I build and install this file for the HT Omega Striker? I'm using Kubuntu 9.04.

doriard
August 16th, 2009, 07:21 AM
I have downloaded the .c driver file from HT Omega for the Striker card but I can't get it to compile. How do I compile the c file? It is cmpic-2.6.15-oss.c. I thought this was an ALSA driver but it has "oss" in the file name, so would that indicate otherwise?