PDA

View Full Version : Entering the confessional

GuiGuy
August 23rd, 2008, 12:05 AM
I have sinned, so I have to come clean guys. :D

Thoroughly fed up with the flakyness of DVD burning apps available through the normal repositories, this morning (our time) I purchased a license for Nerolinux. It's the first time I have paid money to license Linux based software.

What convinced me to do this was when K3B, which was already under-performing at 6x to 8x on 16x drives, decided for no reason I can give to go back to burning at 0.8x :(

Anyway, it's done and it works. That's the main thing I suppose.

There, I feel much better now. :lolflag:

Cheers

TBOL3
August 23rd, 2008, 01:05 AM
I'm sorry. I actually prefer to make .iso with other apps, and then burn the .iso.

GuiGuy
August 23rd, 2008, 01:07 AM
I'm sorry. I actually prefer to make .iso with other apps, and then burn the .iso.

What are you burning the ISO with?

DirtDawg
August 23rd, 2008, 01:10 AM
I can't think of a single thing wrong with paying for a Linux app that works the way you want it to. I say more power to you.

GuiGuy
August 23rd, 2008, 01:23 AM
I can't think of a single thing wrong with paying for a Linux app that works the way you want it to. I say more power to you.

Thanks for the encouragement. I was worried I might have to do some kind of penitence :D

It is nice to see disks being burnt in a few minutes instead of 20 to 60 minutes or more.

Cheers

gn2
August 23rd, 2008, 01:24 AM
I've had good results with Brasero for DVD burning and Serpentine for creating audio CD's.

billgoldberg
August 23rd, 2008, 01:32 AM
There is no shame in buying non-free (both meanings of the word) software.

Should k3b not work for me as it should, I would just use some of the dozen other dvd burners.

I have only burned a dvd with brasero once and it was done in a few minutes.

--

How much did you pay?

TBOL3
August 23rd, 2008, 01:37 AM
Agreed, there is no shame in paying for a license, only the absence of $$$.

I just use the default burner in ubuntu to burn .iso files, and k3b to make audio cds. However, I rarely make video Dvds, and their just family vids.

FuturePilot
August 23rd, 2008, 02:27 AM
I've had good results with Brasero for DVD burning and Serpentine for creating audio CD's.

Hmmm. For some reason Brasero could not burn my OpenSuse DVD image. I wasted 3 DVDs trying. Once it totally failed and twice it burned it badly and it wasn't even bootable. Finally gave up and used K3B. I haven't touched Brasero since in fear of it failing something so simple again. :mad:

drubin
August 23rd, 2008, 02:48 AM
Paying for the application is not a problem it is a choice. You want an application that suites your needs (solves your problem).

You had many choices options to try, you tried them made the informed decision no problems there.

My options the greatest thing about linux is you have the choice to what/when/where *.

Dremora
August 23rd, 2008, 10:03 AM
It says you can't buy Nero Linux if you're in the United States, that is such crap.

grossaffe
August 23rd, 2008, 10:14 AM
well at least since you're buying software for linux it'll help get companies to make programs for linux. all is not lost.

techmarks
August 23rd, 2008, 10:20 AM

It's no sin, if there was a good DVD movie player for Linux I would certainly buy it. If anything the development of more commercial software for Linux should be encouraged.:popcorn:

GuiGuy
August 23rd, 2008, 11:51 AM
It says you can't buy Nero Linux if you're in the United States, that is such crap.

Wonder why? I'm in Australia, BTW.

dspari1
August 23rd, 2008, 12:00 PM

Thoroughly fed up with the flakyness of DVD burning apps available through the normal repositories, this morning (our time) I purchased a license for Nerolinux. It's the first time I have paid money to license Linux based software.

What convinced me to do this was when K3B, which was already under-performing at 6x to 8x on 16x drives, decided for no reason I can give to go back to burning at 0.8x :(

Anyway, it's done and it works. That's the main thing I suppose.

There, I feel much better now. :lolflag:

Cheers

There is no sin in buying software for Linux. This is what leads other companies to develop for Linux too.

lukjad
August 23rd, 2008, 12:11 PM
Contrary to popular belief, there is nothing wrong with paying for something. Even Linux somethings. :D