PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot set up dual boot on Compaq

zx6r1033
August 22nd, 2008, 11:05 PM
As per recommendation on another thread I started a few weeks back, I am attempting to install a dual boot on my new compaq. The current OS is Vista. I cannot even run live CD. I keep getting "Error on device sr0; logical block". That line keeps repeating over and over while attempting to load. I also get "Input/output error" mixed in with the other error.

What is happening here? Do I have to wipe vista in order to make this work?

ggaaron
August 22nd, 2008, 11:24 PM
1. Your liveCD can have defects - download and burn it again.
2. Some laptops have bioses that prevent other systems than vista... I myself haven't seen one, but I've seen news reports about this unfair competition.

Have you tried other liveCDs? Fedora, SUSE? I've seen a laptop that loaded Gentoo liveCD but other didn't work.

zx6r1033
August 22nd, 2008, 11:27 PM
The CD is not defective. I have used it to install Ubuntu on 8 of my other computers.

This computer is brand new out of the box from HP. I wouldn't mind the thought of just ditching vista, but I am worried I may have the exact same issues.

Ill check bios to see if it mentions it at all.

Vista won't even detect my wireless network. psshh.

zx6r1033
August 22nd, 2008, 11:40 PM
Okay... I am looking right now, and bios makes no mention of being restricted. It does, however, give all of the computer information including uuid and serial numbers on the main bios page.

It also gives a "Factory installed OS".

ggaaron
August 22nd, 2008, 11:47 PM
Removing vista won't help if your bios blocks everything else. Phoenix made such bioses and Toshiba used them. I personally would check if other distro's liveCD works.