PDA

View Full Version : Installing Ubuntu on a USB stick.

irv
August 22nd, 2008, 09:17 PM
It was a little over a month ago that I read an article in the Linux Journal, “Billix, A Sysadmin's Swiss Army Knife” It was a good article but I had some issues with making a bootable USB Thumb-drive. I ran out of time trying, and put the project off. The reason I wanted a bootable USB Thumb-drive was so I could put the Ubuntu live CD on it. It was easier to carry in your pocket then a CD. I wanted to be ably to pull it out of my pocket when I was asking friends if they ever tried Ubuntu Linux and got the answer, “No”. I could just pull the USB stick out of my pocket and ask if they would like to try it? Put it into there PC, reboot and low and behold we would be sitting at a Ubuntu desktop.
Today I was reading the Ubuntu news letter when I started reading about loading Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04.1 on a Acer Aspire One. Well, I didn't want to do that, but in this install it had the procedure on how to may a bootable, installable Ubuntu on a USB 1gig stick. It just so happens that I bought a few on ebay just for this purpose. If you want to do this, just go to:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne
The only things I had too do was follow the Prerequisites, and step One.
This is a great way to share Ubuntu with your friends.

zmjjmz
August 22nd, 2008, 11:15 PM
Wow, thanks for this.
I always wanted a LiveUSB, and using Ubuntu with it is awesome.
(Though I should check the LiveUSB app to see if it will work with derivatives too.)