PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] my ubuntu is hacked by someone?

atezatez1
August 22nd, 2008, 09:00 PM
Hello guys,

i am a newbie to linux.

i have ubuntu 8.04.1 on my laptop, recently, i sometimes noticed that there was notifications on the status bar that there was a package management software running, but at the moment i didn't do anything to update/install, then that notification disappeared by itself.

That's also not the automatic update, as i had set the update interval to be 2 weeks.

does this means my ubuntu has been hacked?

thank you.

atez

Gannon8
August 22nd, 2008, 09:02 PM
Probably not. It would be hard for someone to hack into an Ubuntu computer.

cmay
August 22nd, 2008, 09:03 PM
no it does sound normal.
there is just a notification that there are updates ready.
it does that on my system too.:)

manishtech
August 22nd, 2008, 09:11 PM
Hello guys,

i am a newbie to linux.

i have ubuntu 8.04.1 on my laptop, recently, i sometimes noticed that there was notifications on the status bar that there was a package management software running, but at the moment i didn't do anything to update/install, then that notification disappeared by itself.

That's also not the automatic update, as i had set the update interval to be 2 weeks.

does this means my ubuntu has been hacked?

thank you.

atez
Relax mate! There is no such general hacking attempts on ubuntu except for some unnatural cases where you make the system insecure by opening unnecessary ports, removing root passwords and some dumb acts. :)

Have a cup of coffee! No one can break into your system, just dont share your password :D

atezatez1
August 22nd, 2008, 09:33 PM
then that's fine, thank you all guys!