PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu studio in existing ubuntu installation

ZeldaFan
August 22nd, 2008, 07:45 PM
How do I install Ubuntu Studio in an existing Ubuntu Hardy Heron installation? (Along with the RT kernel)

kinetek
August 22nd, 2008, 07:57 PM
It's quite easy.

Go to System-> Administration-> Software Sources
and enable the 'universe repository.

Then go to a terminal (default is called Terminal, located in Accessories), and run the following command :

sudo apt-get install ubuntustudio-desktop && sudo apt-get install ubuntustudio-icon-theme && sudo apt-get install ubuntustudio-look && sudo apt-get install ubuntustudio-theme && sudo apt-get install ubuntustudio-wallpapers && sudo apt-get install usplash-theme-ubuntustudio

If you are worried about the cut and paste, here they are on individual lines :

sudo apt-get install ubuntustudio-desktop
sudo apt-get install ubuntustudio-icon-theme
sudo apt-get install ubuntustudio-look
sudo apt-get install ubuntustudio-theme
sudo apt-get install ubuntustudio-wallpapers
sudo apt-get install usplash-theme-ubuntustudio

All of the other packages can be installed from the Update manager, or using Synaptic.

But those are the key packages that gives Ubuntu Studio its overall look and feel.

ZeldaFan
August 22nd, 2008, 08:25 PM
I am not interested in the appearance aspect of ubuntu studio. I just want the performance aspects, such as the RT kernel and the applications. In that case would I only need to install the first package you mentioned?

logos34
August 22nd, 2008, 09:19 PM
I am not interested in the appearance aspect of ubuntu studio. I just want the performance aspects, such as the RT kernel and the applications. In that case would I only need to install the first package you mentioned?

You want the linux-rt (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/UpgradingFromGutsy) package (low-latency kernel).

Read this (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudioPreparation) for settings, etc.

good luck

snowpine
August 22nd, 2008, 09:23 PM

sudo apt-get install ubuntustudio-audio ubuntustudio-audio-plugins linux-rt

That's if you just want the audio applications and real-time kernel. The video I believe is 'ubuntustudio-video' (I've never personally used video, just the audio).

ZeldaFan
August 25th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Just a quick question, I installed the real time linux kernel, but how do I get it to show up as a boot option in my kernel. I've installed it, but I only have the option to boot into my generic kernel in grub.

logos34
August 25th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Just a quick question, I installed the real time linux kernel, but how do I get it to show up as a boot option in my kernel. I've installed it, but I only have the option to boot into my generic kernel in grub.

sudo grub-install /dev/sda

(or whatever your drive is)

ZeldaFan
August 26th, 2008, 06:11 PM
That command makes me slightly nervous. I have a dual hard drive system set up, one hard drive loading only windows, the other loading ubuntu. I have grub installed on my linux hard drive and I manually added an entry for my windows partition. I feel like that command will screw with my current config, is that true?

logos34
August 26th, 2008, 07:45 PM
That command makes me slightly nervous. I have a dual hard drive system set up, one hard drive loading only windows, the other loading ubuntu. I have grub installed on my linux hard drive and I manually added an entry for my windows partition. I feel like that command will screw with my current config, is that true?

well then check

sudo fdisk -l

to verify the drive letter of the linux drive.

grub-install command will search /boot for all kernel images and add them to menu.lst, then write stage1 to the MBR of the indicated drive. Note I used the '/dev/sdx' format rather than '(hd0)' to avoid any confusion

ZeldaFan
September 1st, 2008, 12:55 PM
Have any of you guys got both the linux-rt kernel and generic kernel working? I am using Envy's nvidia drivers, and when the drivers are installed in the generic kernel, but linux-rt kernel gives me a Xorg error claiming a mismatch between the nvidia driver number in the x server and kernel module. I have a feeling that the kernel module in linux-rt is outdated, but I dont know how to change it. Could it be a DKMS issue as to why its not updating?

logos34
September 1st, 2008, 09:44 PM
Have any of you guys got both the linux-rt kernel and generic kernel working? I am using Envy's nvidia drivers, and when the drivers are installed in the generic kernel, but linux-rt kernel gives me a Xorg error claiming a mismatch between the nvidia driver number in the x server and kernel module. I have a feeling that the kernel module in linux-rt is outdated, but I dont know how to change it. Could it be a DKMS issue as to why its not updating?

currently I just have -rt installed, but I used to have the -generic too.

Sounds like envy is building the nvidia kernel interface module against the -generic source, which is why it doesn't work with the real-time kernel.

Try reinstalling envy with this pkg:

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-rt

If that doesn't work you can always try installing the driver (NVIDIA-Linux-...run) manually, but you'll have to point the interactive installer to the source ('--kernel-source-path=/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-rt')

ZeldaFan
September 1st, 2008, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the reply, I was thinking about install headers too for my kernel because I heard somewhere they were required for updating the kernel modules, but I didn't want to do anything without really knowing what I was doing. I'll try installing and then reinstalling envy's drivers.

ZeldaFan
September 1st, 2008, 10:19 PM
Installing the linux-rt headers didn't help, but I was wondering. Is there a way to point the driver to multiple kernels (rt and generic). Because linux-rt does work if I install the drivers in that kernel, but then the drivers do not work in the generic kernel. There seems to be a problem with having nvidia drivers installed on both kernels simultaneously.

koobies97
May 20th, 2009, 01:43 AM
I am trying to do the same thing, but under what panel is the Universal repository?
And when i install the packages it seems it apparently has problems with /var/lib/dpkg/lock. any help?

ZeldaFan
May 20th, 2009, 02:07 AM
Do you have another package manager running? It will not let you install if you have update manager or synaptic running.

koobies97
May 20th, 2009, 02:40 AM
yay! thank you now it works i just closed all other windows. :D