PDA

View Full Version : Linux "Mojave"? In a way, it already exists.

init1
August 22nd, 2008, 05:48 PM
Turns out people like Linux when they don't know it's Linux.
Two weeks ago, I took a Virgin America flight to the west coast. On the back of each seat there is a LCD. It can be used for playing games, watching TV, listening to music, and even ordering food. I noticed people of all ages using this device without any problem. Although they didn't realize this, the displays were running Linux. I suppose the main difference between this and the Windows Mojave project however is that these people were never told that it was Linux. I wouldn't have known myself if I hadn't read the Digg article or realized that all the games were Linux games. Either way, this proves that a well configured Linux interface can be just as easy as any other OS.

zmjjmz
August 22nd, 2008, 05:58 PM
Did it seem like a proprietary environment?
I know Delta's systems run on Linux, but every other part of it is proprietary.

kevin11951
August 22nd, 2008, 06:02 PM
why doesn't anyone do a Linux Mojave type thing, tell someone its the newest windows, mac, whatever, and see what people think of it, then tell them its Linux?

ill do it at my school (high school), but is it illegal?

init1
August 22nd, 2008, 06:21 PM
why doesn't anyone do a Linux Mojave type thing, tell someone its the newest windows, mac, whatever, and see what people think of it, then tell them its Linux?

That sounds like a great idea actually. I don't think it would be illegal, especially since it would only involve a school.

Did it seem like a proprietary environment?
I know Delta's systems run on Linux, but every other part of it is proprietary.
Yeah probably. I can't find any source code or even acknowledgment that they use Linux on the Virgin America site. Some of their games were open source though (CircusLinux, Penguin Command, XMahjongg, and probably others).

geoken
August 22nd, 2008, 06:37 PM
The difference is that in the airplane scenario you can't actually get the thing you're demo'ing. If you had someone run the system and they said 'this is awesome, where can I get it?' what would the answer be? "Well you can't actually get this, but you can get the underlying operating system which looks and behaves completely differently".

You've essentially done what HTC does to Window's mobile. They basically replace the whole UI with a series of front end apps designed to completely mask the underlying operating system (visually and functionally). People don't look at that and say, "Wow, I was wrong about Windows Mobile 6".

LaRoza
August 22nd, 2008, 06:51 PM

Some people have. On this forum, I remember a case where someone set up Linux and Fx to look like Windows and IE and the person (elderly, and not technical) was raving about how good it was, not realising it wasn't just an upgrade but an entire other OS.

bfob
August 22nd, 2008, 07:37 PM
I also went on a virgin Atlantic flight, and no one on the plane (most likely, except for me) new that those were linux kiosks... Those machines were awesome, I played doom for hours! I got to say linux is perfect for planes! :P

bfob
August 22nd, 2008, 07:43 PM
Oh, and also, I found out it was linux when i crashed Xorg. But I couldn't reboot, that was the longest 3 hours ever :P

zmjjmz
August 22nd, 2008, 07:49 PM
Oh, and also, I found out it was linux when i crashed Xorg. But I couldn't reboot, that was the longest 3 hours ever :P

Ask the flight attendant for a keyboard.

init1
August 31st, 2008, 03:56 AM
Some people have. On this forum, I remember a case where someone set up Linux and Fx to look like Windows and IE and the person (elderly, and not technical) was raving about how good it was, not realising it wasn't just an upgrade but an entire other OS.
I know elderly people who can use Windows XP, but Vista is too different for them. Linux probably wouldn't work for them.

LaRoza
August 31st, 2008, 03:57 AM
I know elderly people who can use Windows XP, but Vista is too different for them. Linux probably wouldn't work for them.

It is all about the interface. Could you configure Linux to be easy to use?

Install all codecs. Make the panel/menu's familiar. And make desktop icons for them. Simple.

init1
August 31st, 2008, 04:11 AM
It is all about the interface. Could you configure Linux to be easy to use?

Install all codecs. Make the panel/menu's familiar. And make desktop icons for them. Simple.
Yeah I suppose I've contradicted myself. But even with the most familiar and easy interfaces that can possibly be developed, some people still have problems. Guess it just depends on the person.

elmer_42
August 31st, 2008, 06:04 AM
I've always wanted to try skinning Firefox to look like IE on a relative's computer, but I'm afraid they'll find out it's Fx one day. :lol:

L815
August 31st, 2008, 07:09 AM
People don't care unless it gives them problems.

You can give someone a phone, with touch screen and a bunch of apps. They could care less what OS is running on it, as long as it looks cool and does what it does.

I'm sure many mac users don't know what BSD is :lolflag:

MaxIBoy
August 31st, 2008, 07:20 AM
Or Mach for that matter.

barbedsaber
August 31st, 2008, 07:37 AM
I'm sure many mac users don't know what BSD is :lolflag:

excellent example, I suppose your right. As long as it does what it is meant to do, thats why I hope to see more linux based UMPC's and more linux in small devices, like phones, and the kindle.
w00t, go tux

ssam
August 31st, 2008, 12:30 PM
this was dugg a while back (original site seems to have gone, but the wayback machine has it)

http://web.archive.org/web/20070203231920/http://www.degredo.net/

perce
August 31st, 2008, 12:35 PM

It was not that good, if you could crash Xorg :(

Vince4Amy
August 31st, 2008, 06:07 PM
The workstations in my local Comet Store (Electrical Shop) use Linux on their ATMS. I Found that out when one was booted the other day.