PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] HELP! ubuntu 8.04.1 LTS

khush
August 22nd, 2008, 04:04 PM
Helo. I just got my ubuntu cd i ordered.
But it just cannot install!

http://i37.tinypic.com/2csb3mo.jpg

arriving at the stage as in the pic above it simply does nothing:confused:

i wait for a long long time and still nothing.

i have windows xp alrady installed on c: want to install ubuntu on d:

my pc has the requirements for this installation.

coffeecat
August 22nd, 2008, 04:27 PM
Some of the desktop hasn't loaded; I don't know why. Try pressing ctrl-alt-Backspace. This will kill the desktop and take you to a login screen. I don't know the password for the live CD (someone else may) but if you leave it for 30 seconds or so it should auto login. Hopefully, the desktop will load properly second time around. If it doesn't, post back.

i have windows xp alrady installed on c: want to install ubuntu on d:

C: and D: and so on are Windows conventions. Drives and partitions are named quite differently in Linux. If you have any problems, or don't understand anything, when you get to the installer stage, don't hesitate to ask.

LowSky
August 22nd, 2008, 06:43 PM
login name is ubuntu, and leave the password blank as there isn't one

before you clcik on start LiveCD or install. do a memory test.
Or try to install Ubuntu directly from Windows using Wubi (its on the CD).
Then technically you can "install to D:"

And like coffeecat said, Ubuntu and every other OS doesn't use drive letters. Technically windows doesn't either, Letters where created as short cuts that became synomous withdrive for no good reason. I always thought it is funny that A: was always a floppy, B: was almost never used, C: was always the first hard drive, D: the first CDROM drive, and every latter after was whatever was hooked up in order.

coffeecat
August 22nd, 2008, 06:59 PM
B: was almost never used,

Ah, but it was, and frequently, and I'm old enough to remember using a computer (in fact more than one) with a B: drive. Your A: drive was the first floppy, either above the second or on the left. You used that for booting into MSDOS and your application executable. Floppy B: was below or on the right, and you used that for data or backing up. Hard discs were incredibly expensive and came later, at first as external plug in devices, usually just for data - you still booted up from A:. So they were called C:. Eventually the hard drive was fitted internally, MSDOS was installed to C: and you lost B:. My first PC with an internal hard drive had an unbelievably large hard drive - 10 Megabytes. :shock: :wink:

khush
August 22nd, 2008, 07:56 PM
hey im currently using ubuntu!
but the thing is that i choose to install it FROM windows. does it mean that if ever ive got to install it again im gonna install windows first?? btw the interface pretty cool and lets you think that your screen is bigger compared to Windows :)

manishtech
August 22nd, 2008, 08:16 PM
This can be a bit demanding solution. I always try the alternate CD. Alternate CD doesnt boot up in Live mode but in installer mode.
Alt CD's are text mode installers with blue colored background where not much RAM and graphics are required to display the installer.

snowpine
August 22nd, 2008, 08:18 PM
How much ram do you have? The live cd requires 384mb, the alternate cd 256mb.

manishtech
August 22nd, 2008, 08:23 PM
hey im currently using ubuntu!
but the thing is that i choose to install it FROM windows. does it mean that if ever ive got to install it again im gonna install windows first?? btw the interface pretty cool and lets you think that your screen is bigger compared to Windows :)
Can you create partition on windows itself before booting from altCD. Partitions can also be create using AltCD, but most people find it a bit tough.

If you are fine with creating partitions with AltCD, then try AltCD, it can be a good solution.