PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] OpenSuse?

wrender
August 22nd, 2008, 03:58 PM
If I get a system76 laptop, I may have to install openSUSE due to the nature of my work(our studio runs openSUSE). Has anyone tried installing suse? How was the compatibility?

thomasaaron
August 22nd, 2008, 04:05 PM
We've never tested it here at System76. My guess is that it would work OK. We'd provide any fixes to you that we've figured out under Ubuntu. However, we have no way of knowing if they work on other OSes.

System76ers? Anybody tried OpenSuse?

(One other thing, of our current laptops, the only one that has been out there long enough to have been tried with OpenSuse is the Serval. The others are brand new and just hit manufacturing a few days ago.)

Rowan187
August 23rd, 2008, 12:29 AM
Long time no see Forums, anyways. I'm still rocking the Pangolin v2 (still epic, but obsolete compared to the Pangolin Performance), and when I installed OpenSuSE 10.3 on it, everything worked out of the box. I recall some graphic card issues, but they were fixed after updating.

Now, results may be way different now since you'll be using newer/different hardware, and most likely OpenSuSE 11. But all in all, OpenSuSE is backed with a pretty good hardware support (since its Novell and everything)

wrender
August 24th, 2008, 06:11 AM
awesome!:-o

jdb
August 25th, 2008, 06:14 PM
If I get a system76 laptop, I may have to install openSUSE due to the nature of my work(our studio runs openSUSE). Has anyone tried installing suse? How was the compatibility?

I'm running gentoo & was able to get everything working on a Daru2, I've got a feeling that most any linux would run OK, Most of the functionality is in the kernel anywho.

jdb