PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I'm getting a new laptop (maybe SonySZ)

davbren
August 22nd, 2008, 12:00 PM
Hi, I've been looking high and low for a new linux-friendly laptop. To be honest I'm really fed up with it. I've always (ok for the most part) had helpful information from here. So I thought I'd come for a little more... What I'm looking for is a 13.3" laptop that doesn't have too many issues with linux and the issues are fixable... I was thinking about getting the Sony SZ as the prices have significantly fallen... I was also looking at the Asus U3s althought this seems to have much less bang for your buck than the Sony.

If anyone can help I'd just like a definite answer as to which is the best laptop to get. As an absolute longshot I would get a macbook, but something drastic would have to happen before I would get one... like i dunno, Jesus telling me to.

I'm due to go into London and buy one next week and I've been looking for too long now, I'm actually bored of looking for one now!

Your opinion is most appreciated.

livestockPimp
August 22nd, 2008, 12:09 PM
Personally I have always preferred the sony laptops, they feel nicer to use and seem more stable.

There is a guide for getting ubuntu to work on that series, maybe take a look and unless there is some really messy unstable drivers I would get that.

http://linuxsonyvaio.wetpaint.com

coffeecat
August 22nd, 2008, 01:50 PM
The main thing to watch out for is the wireless chipset. Check some of the threads here to see which are the good and bad guys.

One piece of practical advice: take an Ubuntu live CD with you when you go to a store and boot up with it to see how well the live CD copes with all the hardware. That's certainly handy for checking to see whether you'll have any problems with the onboard video. I saw a thread on another forum where this was suggested and someone said he had gone into Comet or Currys (can't remember which) and had done just this, and not only had the sales people not objected, but that some of them were so interested that they came to have a look. You might make a Linux convert!

And since you're in Oxford, why not pop into your local PCWorld (hack, spit :wink:), Comet, Currys, Staples and wherever else and try this. You don't have to buy if you think you can get better prices in the big smoke - just tell them you want to think about it.

Oh, and, if by chance Jesus does give you a nudge, :p don't buy a MacBook just yet. Rumour is that a major revision is imminent.

Edit: out of interest I tried to find out what wireless chipset the Sony SZ series is using, but my google-fu isn't up to it today. Even on Sony's own site, under technical details, it says only 'Integrated Wireless LAN YES' which is a fat load of use. Which is another good reason for having an Ubuntu live CD with you so you can do 'lspci' in a terminal and find out what even Sony can't be bothered to tell its customers.

timcredible
August 22nd, 2008, 03:11 PM
well, i don't know which laptop is 'best', but i bought this recently, and it works great - i had to install in 'safe graphics mode', and use ndiswrapper for the wireless, but that took all of 3 minutes. the price has gone up in the last couple months, but i can vouch that it's linux friendly. except that i haven't tried the dial-up modem, so if that's important to you, i can't vouch for that.

Order Detail - Dell
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Item Description:
----------------------------------------------------
Vostro 1000 - AMD AthlonTM 64 X2 Dual-Core processor TK-57 (1.9GHz/256KB), Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition
Unit Price: $469.00
Quantity: 1
Total Price: $469.00

-- Vostro 1000 --
-- AMD AthlonTM 64 X2 Dual-Core processor TK-57 (1.9GHz/256KB)
-- [223-5529]
-----------------------
-- LCD Panel --
-- 15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA LCD Display with TrueLife
-- [320-5883]
-----------------------
-- Memory --
-- 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHZ, 2 Dimm
-- [311-7344]
-----------------------
-- Video Card --
-- ATI Radeon® Xpress 1150 256MB HyperMemory蒂 (integrated)
-- [320-5631]
-----------------------
-- Hard Drive --
-- 120GB 5400RPM Hard Drive
-- [341-4971]
-----------------------
-- Operating System --
-- Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition
-- [420-7163]
-- [420-7291]
-- [420-7658]
-----------------------
-- Adobe Software --
-- Adobe® Acrobat® Reader
-- [410-1100]
-----------------------
-- Optical Drive --
-- 8X DVD+/-RW with double-layer DVD+R write capability, Cyberlink Power DVD
-- [313-5390]
-----------------------
-- Sound Card --
-- Integrated Audio
-- [313-5383]
-----------------------
-- Wireless Cards --
-- Dell Wireless 1395 802.11g Wi-Fi Internal Card
-- [430-2733]
-----------------------
-- Productivity Software --
-- Microsoft® Works 9. Does NOT Include MS Word
-- [420-8046]
-----------------------
-- Anti-Virus/Security Suite (Pre-Installed) --
-- No Pre-installed Anti-Virus/Security Software
-- [410-0982]
-----------------------
-- Primary Battery --
-- 53 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
-- [312-0569]
-----------------------
-- Limited Warranty, Services and Support --
-- 1 Year Basic Limited Warranty plus 1 Year Mail-in Service
-- [983-3920]
-- [986-5020]
-- [988-6059]
-- [989-5817]
-----------------------
-- Installation Services --
-- No Onsite System Setup
-- [900-9987]
-----------------------
-- Automated PC Tuneup --
-- No Dell Automated PC Tune Up Installed
-- [420-7185]
-----------------------
-- Purchase Intent --
-- Purchase is not intended for resale.
-- [462-4506]
-----------------------
-- Labels --
-- Windows XP蒂
-- [310-8624]
-----------------------

davbren
August 22nd, 2008, 04:51 PM
Hey all this feedback is great. I might pop down to PC World (yak!) tomorrow and try out the live cd trick. I won't be getting a Dell. Their UK rep isn't that good and the SZ is a better machine than the comparable Dell Model. Cheers, people.

Do we know what the new macs will look like?

coffeecat
August 22nd, 2008, 05:07 PM
Do we know what the new macs will look like?

Cool and smug. :lol:

Edit: but, this from MacRumors (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/08/12/ipod-touch-and-macbook-updates-for-september/)

estamand
August 22nd, 2008, 05:13 PM
Could always check list of Ubuntu certified laptops on Canonical's website.

http://webapps.ubuntu.com/certification/list/?release=8.04%20LTS&category=Laptop

The Toshiba Satellite U300 is a 13" notebook that is certified for 7.04, 7.10 & 8.04LTS.