PDA

View Full Version : Ebay fee changes

gn2
August 22nd, 2008, 10:21 AM
I just receved an e-mail from Ebay UK to say that fees are changing.

Generally it costs less to list items, but they are going to take a bigger cut of the sale price.
The greedy robbing swines.

Particularly bad is the "Buy it now" category under £50 where they will now take 9.9% of the sale price, a whopping increase from 4.5%!

I think the time could be right to launch another service to undercut them.

Anyone want to set up UbuntuBay, I've got 50p to invest?

super breadfish
August 22nd, 2008, 11:15 AM
I just read about that too. They don't change until 28th September, so if you've got anything expensive to sell put it on now.

Ebay is taking a real dive at the moment. First they wreck the feedback system, then introduce the horrible new web designs, and now they are hiking up the fees again.

I also read in the paper a few days ago that they are trying to attract big retailers to sell products through Ebay. What chance will small sellers have then?

K.Mandla
August 22nd, 2008, 01:42 PM
That's kind of why I quit ebay. They're more interested in gleaning money off resellers and retailers than sticking with their original grass-roots customers. Maybe one day I'll find a reasonable alternative and start reselling parts again. But I wouldn't do it with ebay. :|

x0as
August 22nd, 2008, 03:34 PM
I stopped selling on ebay ages ago, they don't care about small sellers anymore. That and the paypal siding with the buyer every time made it a waste of my time to keep selling on there.

TBOL3
August 22nd, 2008, 04:39 PM
Amazon anyone?

Mhurst1
August 22nd, 2008, 04:41 PM
I just read about that too. They don't change until 28th September, so if you've got anything expensive to sell put it on now.

Ebay is taking a real dive at the moment. First they wreck the feedback system, then introduce the horrible new web designs, and now they are hiking up the fees again.

I also read in the paper a few days ago that they are trying to attract big retailers to sell products through Ebay. What chance will small sellers have then?
The feedback system was seriously flawed before changing it didnt change that.

thetwilighthowl
August 22nd, 2008, 04:56 PM
If you don't mind staying local, craigslist is the way to go. Sold my old notebook, phone, and other electronics, disks of all kinds from games to music. Sold enough to finally buy a Vespa (which I also bought on CL). No listing fees, no getting sniped last second, no percentages taken. On the downside though, no protection and a good number of scammers.