PDA

View Full Version : Interesting software developments?

The Keeper
August 22nd, 2008, 09:55 AM
Are there anything particularly interesting developments in the software world you expect/hope to reach the mainstream distros, such as Ubuntu within the next 12 months or so?

My picks would be;
- Grub2. Six years in development already and feature freeze planned by end of the year. About time I say.
- ext4. It's not XFS or ZFS, but still an improvement over ext3.
- QT port of Firefox. It's in active development and chances are it will be officially supported port. Good news to KDE users.
- Maybe, just maybe we'll see 100% compatible open-source flash player?
- DVD-menu support in Gstreamer and Gstreamer becoming default multimedia backend in KDE4.

Anything else you would pick? :)

jespdj
August 22nd, 2008, 03:50 PM
OpenJDK (http://openjdk.java.net/) - Finally a 100% open source version of Java, with 64-bit Java browser plug-in.

The Keeper
August 28th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Come on people, give your voice to your favorite software projects that are close to reaching (or just reached) a major milestone. :)

Trail
August 28th, 2008, 11:12 AM
QT port of Firefox. It's in active development and chances are it will be officially supported port. Good news to KDE users.

Eh, well, I still prefer Konqueror I think.

jomiolto
August 28th, 2008, 11:20 AM
OpenOffice.org 3 should be coming this autumn and I think that's definitely interesting (downright exciting, I'd say). Mozilla's Ubiquity is also interesting, but it's still in very early alpha stage.

Hmm, what else? KDE 4.2 (because 4.1 still wasn't stable enough for me and lacks some features...), but there's still quite a while until that is released. I'm sure there was something else I was also expecting, but can't bring myself to remember it right now.

Oh, and on Ubuntu front there's of course Intrepid to wait for :)