PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] iLife for Ubuntu

Deten
August 22nd, 2008, 07:00 AM
No I am not asking if it exists.

My fiance Just got a brand new mac, and my attempts to dissuade her were falling on deaf ears... see her roommate has a mac, and she showed her iphoto and stephanie(my fiance) was hooked.

See macs have all their software work semi-seamlessly together, very similarly to adobe photoshop elements/premiere elements. And those of simple minds, read: stephanie, fall over for that stuff.

Now even though I am confident it doesnt exist, I should ask... is there something like this for ubuntu?

Assuming I get the No answer. This is the most IMPORTANT feature to spread ubuntu to new users. See stephanie LOVES my desktop, being pretty computer unsavvy, she sees my compiz effects and thinks its neat, but she also knows the nerd I am and that this is a more complex OS then she is used to. But, if I could have shown her something iLife-like I could have saved myself the shame of owning an apple, along with $1900.

So going forth, is there ANY way we could get developers together in order to make integration a big feature between applications and ubuntu (e.g. her apple auto imports birthdates from addressbook to calendar) and applications with eachother (photo manager imports to and from Gimp). Second to that, are there any standards for integration currently in effect which could be pushed so that its easier to integrate? Google already has alot of compatability, is there a way to integrate calendar with your google contacts?

Compiz is a great way for convincing people to look at ubuntu, its security and consistency takes them further... but in the age of cross-integration I dont see us being a trailblazer.

Thanks for reading, let me know if I made any errors.

Deten
August 23rd, 2008, 01:16 AM
bump

b9k9kiwi
August 23rd, 2008, 01:36 AM
... I could have saved myself the shame of owning an apple

I don't know that there is too much shame in owning an Apple - I think you have to admire Apple design. I bought myself an iPod Nano 3G even though iPods are overhyped, overpriced and under-featured - but the design is so close to what I would describe as perfection that I just had to have one.

Anyway, back to subject, I think that Linux software developers are keen to avoid bloatware (a-la-iTunes) and software 'hooks' that provide more problems than solutions. Cross-integration involves some pretty broad assumptions as to what end-users want and need (Microsoft?).

GimpShop, for example, is a Gimp hack that provides a PhotoShop like interface to Gimp, which appealed to me. I have found, however, that both apps can't be installed together - so I can't 'tryout' GimpShop without first uninstalling Gimp.

Deten
August 23rd, 2008, 01:59 AM
I don't know that there is too much shame in owning an Apple - I think you have to admire Apple design. I bought myself an iPod Nano 3G even though iPods are overhyped, overpriced and under-featured - but the design is so close to what I would describe as perfection that I just had to have one.

Just to put the can on this before others comment.

All apple products are overpriced, they try to rip you off. But you get an excellent piece of hardware and software. The reason I despise them so much:

I bought a brand new iTouch for my fiance, we got it home, plugged it in and there was an update. So I went to install it, and it wanted me to pay $10. I had LITERALLY just walked out of the store with it. Thats ********, and tacky things like that show me what a company apple is.

They intentionally make things worse then they can, so they can come out with version 2 (3g capable?) which they could have had on the first one, but now they make twice as much money with little work.

Back on topic:

I understand its challenging, but thats what open source was made for. I am not talking about accidental integration, but designed integration between important software. iLife provides a simple photo manager/editor, a video manager/ editor and a couple other programs which work together and are very user friendly.

The big thing for the past few years and only getting more popular is integration of user friendly software, like my example of the calendar which auto populates birthdays from the address book.

Mickeyj4j
March 5th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Have any of you tried ubuntu studio. it has the most apple like applications i have seen in any Linux os. they may not be as advanced as the mac one such as ilife but at linux has to start somewhere. try it out. you may be able to find a list of the apps ubuntu studio has i hve not done so yet.

also to say macs are overpriced may be true but i can get the cheapest (basic modle) macbook in new zealand for round $1600 thre are alot of pentium, and amd baised ones for around the same price that have similar specs