PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] association in two gnome apps

dgermann
August 22nd, 2008, 04:06 AM
Hi--

Since updating to 8.04.1, I have two minor headaches perhaps you have already solved:

1. When I go to nautilus and right click a file to "open with" some other app not listed, I get a list that has 7 or 8 instances of each program I can use to open it with--text editor, OO Writer, etc. And they are all scattered at random so it is hard to find the right app. How can I edit this list down to one each? Is there a conf or cfg file with these associations?

2. When I go to gnome panel and choose "locate documents" (when it opens it has a title bar that reads "Search for Files") and it finds an .odt file, it cannot open it, reporting "There is no installed viewer...." Yes, I have OOo Writer installed and it works to click on the file name in nautilus. So again, is there a conf or cfg file that can be edited for this or some other way to let it know where OOo is?

Thanks!

Mister.Vash
August 22nd, 2008, 05:14 AM
See if this takes care of it - when you right click on the file choose properties

Go to the "open with" tab, and remove the ones that you don't want

For the odt file - if you find it in nautilus, highlight it and just hit enter to launch, does it launch?

dgermann
August 22nd, 2008, 03:27 PM
Mister.Vash--

Thanks for helping me!

On the open with, that helps, but mostly I still have the issue. I think I did not describe it accurately. That's what happens from working from memory! Your method helped me get rid of two or three extra apps.

When I go to nautilus and right click on a file, then Open With, then Open With Other Application, that is when I get the reallllllllllly long list. And there is no Remove button here. That's what I want to fix.

"For the odt file - if you find it in nautilus, highlight it and just hit enter to launch, does it launch?" Yes.

Thanks, Mister.Vash!