PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Please give feedback for new build

getagrip
August 22nd, 2008, 04:03 AM
I am building a new system to run Ubuntu 64K or Open SUSE ...or some other distro. I'm only sure Vista/XP won't see this new system.

I am building this primarily to run 3D graphics ...MAYA, Blender etc.

Here are the essential pieces I've picked out so far:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad (either Q6600 or Q9300)
HD : SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
GPU:EVGA 512-P3-N861-AR GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16

MB: GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

The Case I target will have a 500W power supply, and I will use at least 4 gigs of memory..preferably four 1 gig sticks.
In addition I will get a 22' ACER LCD monitor. I'm on a budget, and I can easily stay under $1K with this assembly. I don't need stuff like speakers, Keyboards etc.

Any comments? I have some doubts because I've looked at some components that doesn't mention linux platforms at all...some exclusively state they are designed for MS-VISTA or XP (for example the HD). This will be the second Desktop I've built, but for a non-windows OS what should I be aware of? I am primarly concerned with the GPU. Should I shut the door on AMD CPU's, any consideration for this OS?

I've done my work to be convinced that the Intel Quads outperform the AMD Quads. Also were it not for the fact that I'm building this to do 3D graphics I would have opted for a dual core with higher clock rates than a quad with slower clock. But the rendering tasks in 3D applications is the one area where the quads outperform the duals despite slower speeds.

Finally, I'm no glutton for punishment ..I would quickly jump on a boxed computer for similar price, but everywhere I look there is always something short ..somthing shy of what I want that brings me back to doing it myself.

Either the MB is inferior, or there is not enough memory, or no room for expansion ...many times its because they have weak or no GPU's, internal GPU ...what is that for a guy looking to do 3D graphics?? And sometimes they almost have the items at my price ...but ...with no monitor. And I dread the prospect of buying yet another machine loaded with crap-ware!!

iaculallad
August 22nd, 2008, 04:19 AM
Whew...Overkill.. That specification could sure run your 3D graphics. I guess it won't be using your entire 4G of RAM.

getagrip
August 22nd, 2008, 04:26 AM
Whew...Overkill.. That specification could sure run your 3D graphics. I guess it won't be using your entire 4G of RAM.

Think its overkill? Are you familiar with rendering and how it challenges your system? Not trying to be cynical ...I'm serioulsly looking for feedback.

I've actually scaled back on my initial aspirations to reign in the costs. Were I planning to install MS OS ...I would have made the purchase already ...what I'm having doubts about is whether there are components out there that are more complimentary to this OS.

iaculallad
August 22nd, 2008, 04:33 AM
Think its overkill? Are you familiar with rendering and how it challenges your system? Not trying to be cynical ...I'm serioulsly looking for feedback.

I've actually scaled back on my initial aspirations to reign in the costs. Were I planning to install MS OS ...I would have made the purchase already ...what I'm having doubts about is whether there are components out there that are more complimentary to this OS.

Seriously, that specification could perform the 3D modeling/rendering, animation effects, and image manipulations.
I wish I had that kind of specs for my laptop :)

getagrip
August 22nd, 2008, 04:42 AM
Dude I have a Pentium M with 2G memory for my laptop ..and a Athlon Desktop I built myself ...both running XP. To render 50 frames in 3D of just a basic box ...I have time to go make coffee and return before its done.

Mostly though ...with these systems there are frequent crash as they system struggles to keep up. My intentions with 3D is to do way more than render a few frames of boxes.

Also, I'm not making this purchase to do better today ..I'm buying it with the hopes that I can get at least 1 upgrade before dumping it as the technology escalates. I estimate 4 to 5 years.