PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can i install ubuntu on my new HP HDX

lawrencep93
August 22nd, 2008, 03:57 AM
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Extreme Processor X9000 (2.80GHz)
20.1" diagonal WUXGA High-Definition HP Ultra Brightview Widescreen (1920x1200)-"True HD" 1080p res
4GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTS
640GB 5400RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (320GB x 2)
Webcam + Fingerprint Reader
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 4965AGN Network Connection and Bluetooth(TM)
Blu-Ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW Double Layer
Integrated HP HDTV Hybrid TV Tuner and 4 Altec Lansing speakers +the HP Triple Bass Reflex subwoofer

will ubuntu work, I know that to get my graphic card working i run that program which installs the correct drivers. But I need to install the drivers for my wifi but will everything else work?

Afkpuz
August 22nd, 2008, 07:29 AM
That looks like a sweet comp! The good news is that you can test ubuntu without making changes to your computer. Download a live cd and boot from it. If it boots up and you can play around in ubuntu, then it will work when you install. Please note that this does not install anything to your computer. It only boots from the CD.

Some things might not work well though.

blue ray support for linux is in it's infancy. From what I understand, you'll have to rip any blue rays before you can watch them. I've heard that it's doable, but will be harder than straight dvds.

Webcam support has gotten alot better, but you might have trouble with yours. Same thing with finger print reader. Might work, might not have software, but could work.

My advice is to try the live CD and test it out. Make sure you check the System>Administration>Hardware Drivers to see if your wireless card has a driver. If it doesn't, there may still be a driver out there, but that's the easy way to get the driver.

Also, bluetooth should work.

lawrencep93
August 22nd, 2008, 07:50 AM
Ok thank you :).
I have installed a a similar wifi on my friends new HP but i guess if i dual boot I will not need blue ray but will my CD drive still work just to burn normal DVD's or do I need to find a blue ray driver?

Also will the screen be fine as it is big and full HD?

And what sound driver will I need or will my sound work just fine?

Afkpuz
August 23rd, 2008, 06:38 AM
If your drive can burn dvds in windows, it will be able to in linux. That should be fine. I don't see your sound card listed, so I can't say for sure. You should try to google it like "soundcard name and ubuntu".

Graphics: Ubuntu can set the resolution as high as your video card and monitor allow. You will be able to get the full resolution size (might need some tweaking, but prolly not), I just don't know if it will be progessive scan or interlaced (1080p vs. 1080i). If you try the live cd (which I recommend), realize that your graphics won't be up to par because you can't install the graphics driver in a live boot. But you can test your sound card and dvd burner in the live mode. Also wifi if you've got it.

Hope that helps

polkaguy6000
October 29th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Did that ever work I'm thinking about getting an HDX for Vista/Ubuntu use. My only fear is I will have issue with the wireless (HP + Ubunut gave me trouble in the past) If it works I'm sold.

schuylerv
November 3rd, 2008, 10:23 PM
I'm not the original poster but I am running ubuntu on an HDX with pretty much the same configuration(different processor) and everything works as far as I can tell. The only problems I have had were that when I first installed it all the speakers were muted but the volume control didn't act like it was. Also the second headphone jack, the remote, a few of the quickplay buttons(which I didn't expect to work), and the button that turns off the touchpad don't work but those problems might just be me not knowing how to get them to work. Everything else that I tried which I think was everything worked without any problems including the wireless card.

Benitlu
December 8th, 2008, 01:08 AM
No!! the sound does not work and there is no driver yet for it.

Xytis2000
December 29th, 2008, 01:29 PM
I've got a brand new hp hdx 16. Now trying to get everything working. Yet I have major problems with fingerprint scanner. It appears it is not Autentech product. I have no idea how to make it working. Any help would be appreciated.

noyb
January 8th, 2009, 01:07 AM
Open Volume Control.
Device should read HDA Intel (Alsa mixer).
Go Preferences.
Add Surround.
Close Preferences.
You should now see a Surround channel.
Make sure mute (at the bottom of the channel) is off.
Crank up the volume on the Surround channel.
Now try it.

You should now have sound. Volume is a bit sensitive and only kicks in at the high end but system sounds pretty much as good as it does under Vista.

bit_jammer
January 9th, 2009, 07:34 PM
20.1" diagonal WUXGA High-Definition HP Ultra Brightview Widescreen (1920x1200)-"True HD" 1080p res
Integrated HP HDTV Hybrid TV Tuner and 4 Altec Lansing speakers +the HP Triple Bass Reflex subwoofer

will ubuntu work, I know that to get my graphic card working i run that program which installs the correct drivers. But I need to install the drivers for my wifi but will everything else work?
Well. I have installed the x64 version for mine HDX and works fine. The only non working stuff are the TV tunner and the webcam but I haven't done any research about'em.

logic++
February 1st, 2009, 03:09 AM
Well. I have installed the x64 version for mine HDX and works fine. The only non working stuff are the TV tunner and the webcam but I haven't done any research about'em.

Hi, is your irda recognised?

davidpasto
June 8th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Hey,

I tried to follow the steps, but I don't have any "Surround" case, where did you get it ? At the same nivel as Master for example ?

Anyway, Ubuntux64 working fine on HDX 16 ! Sound and mic are the last problems I have ..

Thx

Open Volume Control.
Device should read HDA Intel (Alsa mixer).
Go Preferences.
Add Surround.
Close Preferences.
You should now see a Surround channel.
Make sure mute (at the bottom of the channel) is off.
Crank up the volume on the Surround channel.
Now try it.

You should now have sound. Volume is a bit sensitive and only kicks in at the high end but system sounds pretty much as good as it does under Vista.

ale.f76
June 17th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Hi there from Italy!

I have the same model of lawrence

I was happy with 8.10 but wated to try 9.04 but couldn't manage to have the audio working...

Do you have the same problem? Have you find a solution?

Thx
Ale

pmalmsten
July 16th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Hi there,

I had the same problem where the speakers didn't seem to work on my HP HDX 16. However, I came across this solution which worked for me:

https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/74675

According to those instructions, just add the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf:

options snd-hda-intel model=hp-m4

After restarting, my speakers worked fine.

Good luck,
~Paul Malmsten

josephellengar
July 19th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Hi there,

I had the same problem where the speakers didn't seem to work on my HP HDX 16. However, I came across this solution which worked for me:

https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/74675

According to those instructions, just add the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf:

options snd-hda-intel model=hp-m4

After restarting, my speakers worked fine.

Good luck,
~Paul Malmsten

Anybody got the TV tuner to work? I'm going to buy one of these and I'm wondering if it's worth it to purchase the TV tuner. I know that the included HP software has a cool Tivo-like experience. Is there similar software in ubuntu? Otherwise, everything works other than blu-ray, correct? I was just attracted to this computer because it now has ddr3 ram and quad-core processors.

Benitlu
November 9th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Yes on the HDX 9300 (9494nr) 20" screen

No problem encounter with Ubuntu 9.10 (32 bit), but does not boot with the (64 bit) I don't know why.

Amazingly fast, that change from Vista

So far everything work great except the sound from the loudspeaker, but from the headphone connector work fine.

Wifi work great! without any extra installation (from the Box)

Video full resolution

Blu-Ray did not try yet and did not look for any software so far, but it does read CD & DVD normally.

Enjoy your new OS, just intall it on an empty partition and will create a Dual Boot menu automatically, so that will keep your Vista as well intact... Just in case you need it later ;)

bit_jammer
February 10th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Hi, is your irda recognised?

Yes. Using lirc and using the HP Pavillion lirc config I managed to make it work (almost). Here is the output of /etc/lirc/lircd.conf

begin remote

name HP_Pavilion
bits 8
flags RC6|CONST_LENGTH
eps 30
aeps 100

header 2740 860
one 482 420
zero 482 420
pre_data_bits 29
pre_data 0x37FF07B
gap 110890
toggle_bit_mask 0x8000
rc6_mask 0x100000000

begin codes
KEY_POWER 0xF3
# DVD MENU
KEY_DVD 0xDB
# 'Q' key
KEY_MEDIA 0x7F
# MONITOR SWITCH
KEY_DISPLAYTOGGLE 0x7E
# Windows Media Center
KEY_PROG2 0xF2
# PAGE DOWN
KEY_PAGEUP 0xED
# PAGE UP
KEY_PAGEDOWN 0xEC
# STOP
KEY_STOPCD 0xE6
# REWIND
KEY_REWIND 0xEA
# PLAY / PAUSE
KEY_PLAYPAUSE 0x91
# FF
KEY_FASTFORWARD 0xEB
# SKIP BACK
KEY_PREVIOUSSONG 0xE4
# (up)
KEY_UP 0xE1
# SKIP FWD
KEY_NEXTSONG 0xE5
# (left)
KEY_LEFT 0xDF
# OK / ENTER
KEY_ENTER 0xDD
# (right)
KEY_RIGHT 0xDE
# BACK / UNDO
KEY_ESC 0xDC
# (down)
KEY_DOWN 0xE0
# 'i'
KEY_INFO 0xF0
# VOL +
KEY_VOLUMEDOWN 0xEE
# MUTE
KEY_MUTE 0xF1
# VOL -
KEY_VOLUMEUP 0xEF
end codes

end remote

And here the output of /etc/lirc/hardware.conf

# /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
#
#Chosen Remote Control
REMOTE="ENE KB3926 B/C/D (ENE0100) CIR port"
REMOTE_MODULES="lirc_dev lirc_ene0100"
REMOTE_DRIVER=""
REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/lirc0"
REMOTE_SOCKET=""
REMOTE_LIRCD_CONF="/etc/lirc/lircd.conf"
REMOTE_LIRCD_ARGS="-d /dev/lirc0"

#Chosen IR Transmitter
TRANSMITTER="None"
TRANSMITTER_MODULES=""
TRANSMITTER_DRIVER=""
TRANSMITTER_DEVICE=""
TRANSMITTER_SOCKET=""
TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_CONF=""
TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_ARGS=""

#Enable lircd
START_LIRCD="true"

#Don't start lircmd even if there seems to be a good config file
#START_LIRCMD="false"

#Try to load appropriate kernel modules
LOAD_MODULES="true"

# Default configuration files for your hardware if any
LIRCMD_CONF=""

#Forcing noninteractive reconfiguration
#If lirc is to be reconfigured by an external application
#that doesn't have a debconf frontend available, the noninteractive
#frontend can be invoked and set to parse REMOTE and TRANSMITTER
#It will then populate all other variables without any user input
#If you would like to configure lirc via standard methods, be sure
#to leave this set to "false"
FORCE_NONINTERACTIVE_RECONFIGURATION="false"
START_LIRCMD=""

dimmo7
May 21st, 2010, 09:15 AM
installed on my hdx and the only dramas are with tv tuner and dvd player and braserio, would love to get the tuner going though