PDA

View Full Version : 20 Things that you can do with linux but not with mac or windows

Lord Xeb
August 22nd, 2008, 03:28 AM
http://matthewhelmke.net/wordpress/2008/02/02/what-is-the-coolest-thing-you-can-do-using-linux-that-you-can-t-do-with-windows-or-on-a-mac/

init1
August 22nd, 2008, 05:39 AM
21. Make a partition on a USB drive active without extra software
This really annoyed me. You'd think that something that simple would be possible in XP, but that option in the partitioner is grayed out.

PrimoTurbo
August 22nd, 2008, 10:54 AM
I like Linux, but I am not a Windows or Mac hater. I find that I can more things on Windows then I can on Linux, mostly regarding commercial software that cannot be run at all or suffers problems under Linux.

Certain comments I don't think are 100% accurate.

1. Upgrade to the newest version legally and without paying money

Depends on which linux you are running.

2. Have the latest version of the operating system run faster than the previous version on the same hardware

Depends on hardware. Sometimes it's the opposite effect.

9. Run without using a virus scanner, adware/spyware protection, and not reboot my computer for months, even when I do keep up with all of the latest security updates

This is bad advice, linux is still very prone to some of this, especially some adware now designed to affect firefox.

Run multiple desktops simultaneously, or even allow multiple users to log in and use the computer simultaneously

Can be done on most OS's.

19. Use the same hardware for more than 5 years before it really needs to be replaced…I have some hardware that is nearly 10 years old, running Linux, and still useful

Linux is a generic name, you can run windows on 10 year hardware. But you cannot run new desktop environments or new kernels on certain hardware.

Just to play the devils advocate here is what I think Windows (XP have not bothered with Vista) can do much *better* then Linux.

Run high end commercial software (Photoshop, Word, Autocad)
Gaming (Steam, WoW)
Better hardware support (Most hardware is designed for Windows)
Good flash support
A lot of commercial business software

x0as
August 22nd, 2008, 12:45 PM
4. Install twenty programs with one command
10. Run my computer without needing to defragment my hard drive, ever
11. Try out software, decide I don’t like it, uninstall it, and know that it didn’t leave little bits of stuff in a registry that can build up and slow down my machine
12. Make a major mistake that requires a complete reinstallation and be able to do it in less than an hour, because I put all of my data on a separate partition from the operating system and program files
15. Have 4+ word processor windows open working on papers, listen to music, play with flashy desktop effects, have contact with a largely happy community and have firefox, instant messaging, and email clients all open at the same time, without ever having had to beg someone for a code to make my os work, and without the system running so slow it is useless
17. Run multiple desktops simultaneously, or even allow multiple users to log in and use the computer simultaneously

All apply to OSX as well.

18. Resize a hard disk partition without having to delete it and without losing the data on it

OSX can even resize mounted partitions.

linuxguymarshall
August 22nd, 2008, 02:23 PM
9. Run without using a virus scanner, adware/spyware protection, and not reboot my computer for months, even when I do keep up with all of the latest security updates

This is bad advice, linux is still very prone to some of this, especially some adware now designed to affect firefox.

Actually this was either at def-con or black hat and only affects pre-3.0 firefox

jespdj
August 22nd, 2008, 03:45 PM
I especially liked #16, this is what I have wanted to know for a long time:

16. Use the command “dpkg --get-selections > pkg.list” to make a full, detailed list of all software I have installed, backup my /etc and /home directories on a separate partition, and you are able to recover your system any time, easily

One more (specific to Ubuntu, but ofcourse also many other distros): Having a repository with 20,000+ free and open source software packages available that I can install with a simple command or graphically via the package installer.

One thing that annoys me with Windows is that people ask money for even the silliest little programs, such as a bulk file renaming program. On Linux, those things can be done with one terminal command.

days_of_ruin
August 22nd, 2008, 04:11 PM
I like Linux, but I am not a Windows or Mac hater. I find that I can more things on Windows then I can on Linux, mostly regarding commercial software that cannot be run at all or suffers problems under Linux.

Certain comments I don't think are 100% accurate.

Depends on which linux you are running.

2. Have the latest version of the operating system run faster than the previous version on the same hardware

Depends on hardware. Sometimes it's the opposite effect.

Run multiple desktops simultaneously, or even allow multiple users to log in and use the computer simultaneously

Can be done on most OS's.

19. Use the same hardware for more than 5 years before it really needs to be replaced…I have some hardware that is nearly 10 years old, running Linux, and still useful

Linux is a generic name, you can run windows on 10 year hardware. But you cannot run new desktop environments or new kernels on certain hardware.

Just to play the devils advocate here is what I think Windows (XP have not bothered with Vista) can do much *better* then Linux.

Run high end commercial software (Photoshop, Word, Autocad)
Gaming (Steam, WoW)
Better hardware support (Most hardware is designed for Windows)
Good flash support
A lot of commercial business software

You are reading it wrong.He is not guaranteeing anything.He is saying its
very possible.There are so many different versions of linux that
you can always find one that can't do one of these things.

Also WoW runs great on linux.I have seen it firsthand.In fact in runs
better on linux than it does on vista.

geoken
August 22nd, 2008, 05:23 PM
Why do people always say uninstalling on windows leaves crap behind but somehow Linux doesn't? I have a directory full of folders from apps I've uninstalled as well as gconf entries to go along with them.

Also, why does the article make it seem as if there are no open source apps on window's? I can run Firefox, gimp, songbird, Inkscape, Thunderbird, Open Office,.... on Window's just like I can on Linux.

DrMelon
August 22nd, 2008, 05:58 PM
Number ???: EVERYTHING. ANYTHING.

Well, pretty much.

bashveank
August 22nd, 2008, 07:23 PM
Not a Linux hater or a Microsoft/Apple fanboy, just don't like it when people spread around lies.

Yup, I won't deny that.

I got a definite speed boost on my iMac G5 going from OS X 10.3 to 10.4 to 10.5.

3. Easily install and run different graphical interfaces if I don’t like the default setup
Using Macports I can install KDE, Gnome, Windowmaker, Fluxbox, and probably more in a single commands.

4. Install twenty programs with one command
Again, Macports functions exactly the same as apt-get.

5. Have the system automatically update all my installed programs for me.
I forget what the program's called, but there is a Mac app out there that updates apps automatically, most Windows and Mac apps do automatic updates by themselves anyway. However, yes, automatic updates on Linux do beat the options on Windows and OS X by a long shot.

6. Install the same copy of my OS (Ubuntu) on multiple computers without worrying about license restrictions or activation keys
Yup.

7. Give away copies of the operating system and other programs that run on it without breaking any laws, governmental or ethical or moral, because it was all intended to be used this way
Yup.

8. Have full control over my computer hardware and know that there are no secret back doors in my software, put there by malicious software companies or governments
Yup.

Same as on OS X.

10. Run my computer without needing to defragment my hard drive, ever
Same as on OS X.

11. Try out software, decide I don’t like it, uninstall it, and know that it didn’t leave little bits of stuff in a registry that can build up and slow down my machine
Same os on OS X

12. Make a major mistake that requires a complete reinstallation and be able to do it in less than an hour, because I put all of my data on a separate partition from the operating system and program files
You can do that completely independently from the OS....

13. Boot into a desktop with flash and effects as cool as Windows Vista on a three year old computer…in less than 40 seconds, including the time it takes me to type my username and password to login
Well, I can't do that on my Linux boxes, but I trust that some can on theirs. My iMac G5 and MacBook Pro both boot pretty quickly, don't know the exact times though.

14. Customize anything I want, legally, including my favorite programs. I can even track down the software developers to ask them questions, contribute ideas, and get involved in the actual design/software writing process if I want to
I imagine that this refers to the OS itself because there's no reason you can't run OSS on your Mac or Windows box.... Darwin is open source however, and you can contribute to the development, but Linux does have more of an upper hand in that regard.

15. Have 4+ word processor windows open working on papers, listen to music, play with flashy desktop effects, have contact with a largely happy community and have firefox, instant messaging, and email clients all open at the same time, without ever having had to beg someone for a code to make my os work, and without the system running so slow it is useless
I can do this on my Macs, and even on on my Windows box, sorry.

16. Use the command “dpkg –get-selections > pkg.list” to make a full, detailed list of all software I have installed, backup my /etc and /home directories on a separate partition, and you are able to recover your system any time, easily
I can do full system backups on both my Macs and my Windows box.

17. Run multiple desktops simultaneously, or even allow multiple users to log in and use the computer simultaneously
OS X can do this, Windows can too when properly hacked.

18. Resize a hard disk partition without having to delete it and without losing the data on it
That's a capability of the partitioner, not the OS, and there are quite a few capable portioners on both OS X and Windows.

Honestly, I don't see the use in running 10 year old hardware when modern computers are so cheap, I will concede the point though because this is technically possible.

20. Browse the web while the OS is being installed!
Yup, that is probably my favorite feature of Linux.

21. Use almost any hardware and have a driver for it included with the operating system…eliminating the need to scour the internet to find the hardware manufacturer’s website to locate one
Wait, what? I have lots of hardware that I'd like to run on my Linux boxes but can't because of a complete lack of any kind of support whatsoever.

22. Get the source code for almost anything, including the OS kernel and most of my applications.
Nothing's stopping you from running OSS on Windows and OS X, also, Darwin is open source..

kernelhaxor
August 22nd, 2008, 08:08 PM
Thats not accurate information .. Vista and OS X can do many of those things too!

Lord Xeb
August 22nd, 2008, 08:09 PM
I knew much of this was somewhat faulty :D

BreakDecks
August 22nd, 2008, 08:41 PM
Predictably, the #1 was lack of monetary cost. #6 and #7 were also related to the fact that it is free of cost, and free to distribute.

I understand that the open nature of Linux makes in Unique, but it isn't something that will convert someone to it. The majority of computer users (including Linux users) have copies of Windows already. The vast majority of computers come with Windows on it, so bragging that it is free means nothing, It's just as free to keep using windows, than to install another OS. Also, to many people, "free" doesn't mean "open", "free" means "cheap".

#1 XPSP3 was a free upgrade to the latest version of Windows XP.

#2 is not really true. I still have 7.10 installed on my laptop, because 8.04 works terrible on it.

#3 is something that really doesn't mean anything to most end-users. Most people just want a computer that can do stuff.

#4 As nice as that is, you are implying that the command line will be used. Use of a text-based interface is a turn-off to most consumers. Synaptic is a better example.

#5 Actually a good point, first one so far.

#6 As mentioned earlier, most computer come preinstalled with Windows, so most people aren't even aware of this problem.

#7 Most people don't need a copy of Windows from another person because they already have a copy.

#8 This is a rare occurance, even so, Linux is not immune. It's not just targeted.

#9 2nd good point so far.

#10 3rd good point. 2nd in a row!

#11 Depends on how you install the program, but assuming you do it with a package manager, then yes, a definite advantage.

#12 I work with computer repair, and I have learned that very few problems require a complete reinstall...

#13 Not always that fast for everyone. Also, Vista can boot very quickly, and it does for me.

#14 Not a huge selling point, but nice.

#15 Possible on Windows XP a Mac OSX

#16 Again, use of a command line as well as specialized peripherals.

#17 is something you can already do with Windows. I am not sure about Mac though.

#18 Possible on Windows...

#19 Depends on what you are using it for.

#20 Possible... You can install Windows XP and Windows Vista through a modified preinstallation environment. As long as you have the install .wim file, you can install the OS in the background (unattended if you want) while browsing the web.

#21 But if the hardware doesn't work out of the box on Linux, it's a pain to get everything you need...

#22 Very few users will ever find this useful to them...

Don't get me wrong, I love Linux, but you have to know what the masses want before you can give them a reason to use it.

Main points are:
1. functionality (Use)
2. stability (Ease of use)
3. compatibility (Ease of use)
4. security
5. User friendly (ie. Auto-update, package managers, easy integration)

Often times people feel the need to say "Using Linux means you aren't supporting evil Micro$oft", which destroys all your credibility as you are already biased. The argument needs to be "How will a normal user's computing experience be notably improved by switching them to an open-source OS?".

The point that do not need to be made are:

1. It's free (implies cheapness / generally moot selling point)
2. You can customize it to whatever you want. (too complex)
3. There are a billion and one options. (even more complex)
4. "Make it look as good as Windows/Mac". (implies lack of improvement)
5. Open-Source (unless a good explanation as to why this is a good thing

Also, there are quite a few things you cannot do with Linux that can be done only with Windows/Mac.

1. Microsoft Exchange 2007 (Best thing Microsoft as ever brought me)
2. Games (with the exception of a few, computer gaming is really not possible on Linux)
3. Tech Support (Other than forums, you can get very little professional help).
4. Compatibility (There is a lot of hardware that just doesn't work with Linux)
5. User friendliness (Sometimes Linux, even Ubuntu, expects you to understand Borne Shell Scripting just to fix a simple problem).

FuturePilot
August 22nd, 2008, 09:12 PM
#1 XPSP3 was a free upgrade to the latest version of Windows XP.

Can a service pack really be considered an upgrade? All service packs really are are a compilation of a bunch of updates. Sure sometimes they add a few new features but they're usually minor and you're still not getting the latest OS.

I didn't notice anything different in SP3 except this really cool little CPU and battery sucking feature that caused the CPU to idle and 100%. In fact I loved this feature so much I completely removed XP from my laptop. Bye-bye XP ):P

</off topic rant>

LaRoza
August 22nd, 2008, 09:15 PM
http://matthewhelmke.net/wordpress/2008/02/02/what-is-the-coolest-thing-you-can-do-using-linux-that-you-can-t-do-with-windows-or-on-a-mac/

That blog post references this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=399997&highlight=coolest+thing

No need for another. Please don't use Ubuntu Forums for your personal blog...