PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] How to use kde 3.x colors with kde 4.x?

wandalalakers
August 22nd, 2008, 03:11 AM
I assume this can't be done but figured I'd ask.
I've posted this question on kde.org but no one has responded.

I'm still using kde 3.5.9 and I reallllllly love the BeOS color theme. Is there anyway to import the 3.5.9 color schemes into kde 4.x so I can use them in addition to the new colors? I also use polyester orange juice and storm from time to time too. Something tells me that 3.5.9 color schemes are not compatible with 4.x since kdm themes are not compatible.

oobuntoo
August 22nd, 2008, 07:33 AM
I assume this can't be done but figured I'd ask.
I've posted this question on kde.org but no one has responded.

I'm still using kde 3.5.9 and I reallllllly love the BeOS color theme. Is there anyway to import the 3.5.9 color schemes into kde 4.x so I can use them in addition to the new colors? I also use polyester orange juice and storm from time to time too. Something tells me that 3.5.9 color schemes are not compatible with 4.x since kdm themes are not compatible.

I'm not aware of any way to use kde3 color scheme with kde4 apps, but you can adjust kde4's color to match kde3's. I'm running some kde4 apps under kde3 environment. I installed kde4 system-settings and adjust kde4 to use theme (i.e. qtcurve), color, and font to match that of kde3.

wandalalakers
August 22nd, 2008, 11:17 AM
I guess I'll be sticking to kde 3.5.9. You can't use the kdm themes from 3.x either. I have two or there kdm login themes that I love. They are not available on kde-look.org (yet). I'm using the "toxic" kdm login theme right now for 3.5.9. I just don't understand why the programmers at kde doesn't offer some kind of converter to convert the color-schemes and the kdm login themes to the 4.x format. Maybe someone will write a program to do that. There are 29 color-schemes that come with 3.5.9. That's a lot of stuff to create manually.

helwitch
November 9th, 2008, 02:58 AM
Anyone know if there's been any progress on a converter for color schemes, or some kind of way to move color schemes over? This is one of my biggest sticking points for moving from 8.04 to 8.10. I'd like a lot of the features that 8.10 has, like 3g support, but manually recreating color schemes I've made over the past several years is just too daunting.

wandalalakers
November 9th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Maybe kde 5.x will bring the old colors back. Who knows?

benerivo
November 9th, 2008, 01:32 PM
You could write down the colour values of the BeOS scheme by hand and then change the colours in kde4 system settings using those values. It won't take long - maybe 10 mins in total.

wandalalakers
November 10th, 2008, 12:25 AM
You could write down the colour values of the BeOS scheme by hand and then change the colours in kde4 system settings using those values. It won't take long - maybe 10 mins in total.

How do you write down the color values for kde3 three colors?

benerivo
November 10th, 2008, 12:36 AM
From memory, you go to the kde control centre, and find the section where you can set/change the colours...http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2308/2526607861_4d6edc2925.jpg
Just click on each colour as it it shown on the right hand side, and make a note of the RGB values, and what it is (eg button colour). Once you have them all, and have set them in kde4, i think you can submit them to kde-look (http://www.kde-look.org/) as a new kde4 colour scheme.

helwitch
November 10th, 2008, 12:59 AM
That's great for him, he's only got one scheme he wants to save. I've got at least two dozen, cos I create color scheme to go with my mood, or try to change my mood.
I wish someone (not you, in general) who knows how to code could just write something that would look at all the KDE3 color scheme files, grab the color codes from them, and then either automatically create a KDE4 color scheme file, or at least give you a list of them to copy/paste over.

wandalalakers
November 16th, 2008, 10:13 PM
That's great for him, he's only got one scheme he wants to save. I've got at least two dozen, cos I create color scheme to go with my mood, or try to change my mood.
I wish someone (not you, in general) who knows how to code could just write something that would look at all the KDE3 color scheme files, grab the color codes from them, and then either automatically create a KDE4 color scheme file, or at least give you a list of them to copy/paste over.

I actually want all of the KDE 3 colors. BEOS is my favorite. I agree, there should be some sort of import feature to do this.