PDA

View Full Version : Journal Software Recommendations?

lucid
November 13th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Hey all,

I'm looking for a dream journal program, and was wondering if anyone could recommend one? Or perhaps a normal journal/diary program that is adaptable and would allow me to track patterns, highlight trends, that kind of thing.

Cheers.

blastus
November 14th, 2005, 12:18 AM
I'm not sure if there are any programs, but I think you could use a spreadsheet. If you want to identify patterns you could devise your own classification and attributes scheme. The issue is that dreams may fall under many topics and some topics may be correlated or be subtopics of others. For example, you could have a general topic called nightmare. Under nightmare you could have death and then under that murder, suicide etc...

nightmare
death
murder
suicide
So any dream that involves suicide involves death and is a nightmare. The issue with this is that you would need a transitive reasoner to programmatically determine that a dream about suicide is a nightmare.

As for attributes, you could have all kinds of things like relevance (how relevant the dream was to the topic(s) you assigned it under), intensity (how intense the dream was), reality (how realistic the dream was), actor (where you an actor in the dream, where you you or where you someone else or did you observe it in third-person?) etc... You could even go further than that and try to tie it up to dream interpretation--certain symbols and subjects have certain interpretations and stuff like that.

Lovechild
November 14th, 2005, 12:21 AM
well an overengineered solution as be created to your problem - it's called LiveJournal (www.livejournal.com).