PDA

View Full Version : [SPOILERS] Would life on Earth survived if Jupiter was turned into a star?

zmjjmz
August 22nd, 2008, 01:30 AM
So I just finished 2010: Odyssey 2, and I must wonder what the real effects of Lucifer's appearance would have.
Surely more than just nocturnal species would be affected, I'd imagine we would have an abundance of photosynthetic organisms which would severely raise the level of oxygen in the atmosphere. Because of this, (as my 4th grade science teacher said) the world would be much more vulnerable to just lighting aflame.
Now, an obvious solution would be to step up on carbon emmisions, but Global Warming would be twice as bad because we have twice the light input.

LaRoza
August 22nd, 2008, 01:31 AM
I don't think that is possible. Jupiter is way too small.

zmjjmz
August 22nd, 2008, 02:47 AM
According to Wikipedia, Lucifer dies out in 3001

Mr. Picklesworth
August 22nd, 2008, 03:14 AM
I'll probably never read that (watch that? Gee, shows how much I know) so it's no matter to me, but someone should edit the thread title to say what those are spoilers of. "Spoilers" on its own had me thinking it's a spoiler about the recent news that we are all doomed, a joke or a time traveller. Regrettably, I was incorrect and encountered something far worse :(