PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Newbie needs help with Kernal

jacksparrow1
August 21st, 2008, 10:12 PM
Hey people,

I needed to install some drivers on my machine and after browing the web the only ideal way I could do this was by installing the ndiswrapper - however after checking their website I can see before I use ndiswrapper I must install kernal.

So on my xp machine I download kernal 2.6.26.3 put it on USB and tranfer the folder to my ubuntu machine. I copy and paste the folder on my desktop, unzip it and dont know what to do next. Ive read the help files on the kernal but when I run the following coding:

gzip -cd linux-2.6.26.3.tar.gz I tar xvf

it says no such file or directory.

Any help please?

Ayuthia
August 21st, 2008, 10:31 PM
Hey people,

I needed to install some drivers on my machine and after browing the web the only ideal way I could do this was by installing the ndiswrapper - however after checking their website I can see before I use ndiswrapper I must install kernal.

So on my xp machine I download kernal 2.6.26.3 put it on USB and tranfer the folder to my ubuntu machine. I copy and paste the folder on my desktop, unzip it and dont know what to do next. Ive read the help files on the kernal but when I run the following coding:

gzip -cd linux-2.6.26.3.tar.gz I tar xvf

it says no such file or directory.

Any help please?

You don't need to go that far to install ndiswrapper. If you have the liveCD (the install CD for Ubuntu), you can do the following in the Terminal:

sudo apt-cdrom addIt will ask you to insert your CD. Use your liveCD.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-utils-1.9

jacksparrow1
August 22nd, 2008, 08:43 AM
Really? That would be so awesome dude.

Well I tried what you said and this is what happened:

ubuntu@UBUNTU-PC:~$ sudo apr-cdrom add

It first asked me for a password, when I enter my password for my login it says the following

Sudo: apr-cdrom: command not found

Now when I try to run the above code again it doesn't ask me for a password again, it keeps showing the error again.

Any help or suggestions please? Thanks

DavidTangye
August 22nd, 2008, 09:06 AM
The correct command is :
sudo apt-cdrom add

other guy
August 22nd, 2008, 09:08 AM
It is not apr. It is apt.. As in aptitude. Which is the name of the package manager. Just shortened a bit. Synaptic is the graphical version of aptitude. The command line is just simply apt.

Fix the minor typo in the syntax. It should fire off nicely.

DavidTangye
August 22nd, 2008, 10:27 AM
It is not apr. It is apt.. As in aptitude. Which is the name of the package manager. Just shortened a bit. Synaptic is the graphical version of aptitude. The command line is just simply apt.

Fix the minor typo in the syntax. It should fire off nicely.
No

dt@tex:~$ which apt-cdrom
/usr/bin/apt-cdrom
dt@tex:~$ man apt-cdrom

other guy
August 22nd, 2008, 10:43 AM
No

dt@tex:~$ which apt-cdrom
/usr/bin/apt-cdrom
dt@tex:~$ man apt-cdrom

How is telling him to change apr to apt wrong? Or is it telling him what apt is, and options of it. The part that is no. I am not trying to be smarmy, just wondering what part is simply no.

jacksparrow1
August 22nd, 2008, 12:50 PM
Guys I will give it a go in about 30 mins.

I'm sure I did try apt and apr was a type error on Ubuntu forums, anyway 30 mins. Thanks

jacksparrow1
August 22nd, 2008, 02:20 PM
Hi guys:

I done the following:

ubuntu@UBUNTU-PC:~$ sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-utils-1.9

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

The following extra packages will be installed:

ndiswrapper-common

Suggested packages:

ndiswrapper-source

The following NEW packages will be installed

ndiswrapper-common ndiswrapper-utils-1.9

0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.

Need to get 0B/30.4kB of archives.

After this operation, 213kB of additional disk space will be used.

Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y

Selecting previously deselected package ndiswrapper-common.

(Reading database ... 95844 files and directories currently installed.)

Unpacking ndiswrapper-common (from .../ndiswrapper-common_1.50-1ubuntu1_all.deb) ...

Selecting previously deselected package ndiswrapper-utils-1.9.

Unpacking ndiswrapper-utils-1.9 (from .../ndiswrapper-utils-1.9_1.50-1ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...

Setting up ndiswrapper-common (1.50-1ubuntu1) ...

Setting up ndiswrapper-utils-1.9 (1.50-1ubuntu1) ...

ubuntu@UBUNTU-PC:~$

Does this mean ndiswrapper has installed? Sorry if i sound like an idiot - it's just I've never even looked at a linux before.

If ndiswrapper has installed, what do I do to install the drivers of my wireless card? (I have the drivers on my cd that came with the card) Thanks guys much appreciated.

jacksparrow1
August 22nd, 2008, 09:42 PM
Anyone?