PDA

View Full Version : Promot Ubuntu and OpenOffice

abs
November 13th, 2005, 01:25 PM
hello,

I was thinking, if people creating documents in OpenOffice under Ubuntu, that they have a little caption in the bottom of the page saying
Ubuntu.OpenOffice

check out example,

think it would neat and would prompt people to check it out, I have a few presintations to do for work regarding a Textile product, and i think i will stick that in at the bottom just to let people know. :)

xequence
November 13th, 2005, 11:23 PM
Thats a good idea. "Hey, whats ubuntu.openoffice?" "Its a free office suite, on a free OS"

PatrickMay16
November 13th, 2005, 11:46 PM
I think it'd be better to put "Made with OpenOffice running on Ubuntu Linux"... if anything at all. Sometimes it just isn't the time or place to be promoting something. In my previous experience, if you're writing a document as part of a school project, your teacher will ask you what "Ubuntu.OpenOffice" is doing on your document. Then when you explain, they'll probably say that the only thing that should be on your document is stuff related to the subject of your study or something, and may ask you to remove it or replace it with something appropriate.

Nice idea anyway.

abs
November 14th, 2005, 12:49 AM
I do agree with you in a sense that they will ask you to remove the little bit of text, but why don't you just stick it on there till they ask you to remove it and also if they ask about it you tell them and then they will remember the software, no point putting in a long sentence, i think it should just be Ubuntu.OpenOffice

as this way it don't take up much space and will prompt people to ask about it, thus raising awareness.

having something to talk about is better than having nothing at all. Spread the word and free the children from MS office....

peace out :KS

TravisNewman
November 14th, 2005, 02:11 AM
as long as it doesn't get printed out, and you can take it off if you want (or better yet, opt out by default) then it's a good idea.

xequence
November 14th, 2005, 03:44 AM
as long as it doesn't get printed out, and you can take it off if you want (or better yet, opt out by default) then it's a good idea.

Whats the point of having it there if it doesent get printed out? Though I do agree, it should be an extra option, not default.

abs
November 14th, 2005, 10:47 AM
I never said it should be a defult setting or so, just thought it would be a good idea, if people "typed it in" you print some big ass doc, then at the end you put these little tiny words and thats it, no need to have a war :confused: about it,

easy as. :|