PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Fonts

claymater
August 21st, 2008, 09:35 PM
OK so I have a few fonts I wanna add, but when I go to the fonts folder (/usr/share/fonts) It wont let me put my folders in.. it keeps giving me a "There was an error moving the file into /usr/share/fonts." And wanting me to skip it.. What do I do?

Cheesehead
August 21st, 2008, 10:22 PM
As a user you don't have permission to tinker with the /usr/share/fonts folder.

You can do it as an admin, but there's an even better way - the right way.

THE RIGHT WAY FOR A USER (easiest):
1) Create a new folder called '.fonts' in your home directory. No sudo or special commands needed
2) Put the fonts in.
3) Restart the app you want to use, and fonts from BOTH folders (/usr/share/fonts and /home/USER/.fonts) should be automatically loaded.
One big advantage of this method is that your normal /home backups will backup the fonts, too. You won't lose the fonts if you ever lose your system.

THE RIGHT WAY FOR AN ADMIN:
This method really only makes sense for a multi-user system. The admin (you) puts the fonts in the /usr/share/fonts folder.
1) Open a file manager with admin permissions. If you use Nautilus, the command is 'gksudo nautilus'
2) Move the fonts.
3) Close the window when finished - it has admin permissions.

claymater
August 22nd, 2008, 12:11 AM
Oh thanks! Worked great!

rotwang888
August 23rd, 2008, 01:01 AM
Yes- works like a dream. I just hope that the powers that be know that the help center says to go to system>preferences>fonts, which doesn't exist.